Zimbabwe bids to host ICC 2018 World Cup Qualifier

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Kriterion_BD

Re: Zimbabwe bids to host ICC 2018 World Cup Qualifier

Post by Kriterion_BD »

jaybro wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:27 am
It would be hard to play this tournament out of only 2 grounds but can UAE or Scotland provide more grounds ??

I don't know myself just asking the question, also Im sure the ICC know that Zimbabwe only have 2 grounds that are suitable at the moment but they're obviously putting in a serious effort to lift Zimbabwe after appointing the new MD so I wouldn't be surprised if the ICC are happy to throw in some money to fix up some grounds. Also I guess this tournament could generate some cash for the host nation since it's an ICC event ....

Zimbabwe could actually walk away from this with some upgraded facilities, extra cash in bank and hopefully qualification for the WC ......
The UAE could build the MCG in 72 hours lol. But They already have 3 Test venues atm, plus the ICC Academy grounds which I think has at least 2 playing surfaces used for that Desert T20 last year or WCL tournaments. Thats 5 venues right there. The stadia in dubai and Abu Dhabi are ritzier than any in England or Australia even.

Scotland has 2 in Aberdeen and Edinburough...being in the UK I would imagine they have a couple more club grounds that would get status if they just had an inspection. Plus they are budding jointly with Ireland who have 3 venues with 2 in Dublin and one more in Belfast. So thats 5 venues there that already have ODI status. But weather would be a big problem unless its done later in the season I reckon.

I reckon Zimbabwe being the senior full member will get it just as it was originally allocated to Bangladesh without discussion.

But it isnt just about having the stadia. Its also about having the hotels, transportation, and then facilities on the ground all of which Ireland, Scotland, and UAE have at an international standard. Then its about having enough practice pitches for 10 teams to train at the same time. Equipment for gym work, fitness, rehab, nets, balls, net bowlers, etc. I would imagine it would cost the ICC $10 million to aquire that in in Zim vs already having most of that in the other 3 candidate hosts. A 10 team tourney is a bit more complicated to host than a triangular from a logistics point of view. Its a 5 week tournament also.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

How is the tournament setup exactly? Groups? Round robin? To be fair it should Be in Scotland and Ireland but as you said the weather knocking out the West Indies( got a feeling they will have a full strength team) would look very bad.

Unless the ICC is giving us a development grant to prop up The grounds in Kwekwe and Mutare it Will be difficult for us to host .

The hotels are there I believe as well as the transport could be organized. I don't know what kind of training facilities would Be required but there are a few private schools who could host some training sessions.

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

TapsC wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:37 am
How is the tournament setup exactly? Groups? Round robin? To be fair it should Be in Scotland and Ireland but as you said the weather knocking out the West Indies( got a feeling they will have a full strength team) would look very bad.

Unless the ICC is giving us a development grant to prop up The grounds in Kwekwe and Mutare it Will be difficult for us to host .

The hotels are there I believe as well as the transport could be organized. I don't know what kind of training facilities would Be required but there are a few private schools who could host some training sessions.
You'd think 2 groups of 5 with everyone playing each other once .....

Top two go through to the semi's ......

The winners of the semi's go to the World Cup and play off for the trophy ......
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Black Mamba
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Black Mamba »

As per ICC World Cup Qualifiers 2014, Tournament features 10 teams, five teams each will be divided to Group A and Group B. Each teams will play with themselves in each group. Three teams finishing top in Group A & B will enter in Super Six stage, six teams will play with themselves in super six stage, team finishing top two in super sixstage points table will play final. Winners will be decided through final.

Both teams reaching the final will be the part of ICC World Cup 2019

This tournament already held in country like Kenya, Canada, Netherland, Ireland, Malaysia with just one international approved stadium, as ICC later used their grounds where first class games played. Its not a big issue as far as venues are concerned, Zimbabwe have two international approved grounds with five grounds where regular first class cricket takes place.

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

Wow that's a LOT of games. Definitely needs at least 5 grounds. But it also puts the Europeans at a disadvantage because there is no way they can't host that many Games without bad weather. Maybe the UAE bid might win but it will Be a battle of the toss on flat tracks

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

This is the right vehicle to get Kwe Kwe and Mutare grounds to international standard. It is not like they need investments from scratch, and once upgraded, would be huge in terms of expanding cricket there. A few ODI matches can be held at these grounds while HSC and QSC remain our main forte. We definitely deserve 4 international grounds.

A 5 match ODI series can have first 3 matches at HSC and next two at Mutare / first 3 at QSC and next two at Kwe Kwe.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

I am not sure, but I think Mamba has the right format down. Or very close to it. There will be 60 odd matches played including the final.

I don't think grounds will be an issue for Zimbabwe or any of the countries involved. The ICC is fairly lax about granting ODI status to stadia.

But I think logistics and actually hosting that many teams might be an issue for Ireland/Scotland and definitely Zimbabwe. But that also depends on what sort of nations have hosted recent WCQ tournaments. The previous one was hosted in NZ but at all the lesser venues. The one before that in South Africa. So interestingly its been full members hosting the last two Qualifyers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

Ming
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by Ming »

Maybe I'm biased, but there are certaintly a few school grounds that are as good, if not better than club grounds in Zim. For that u19 match at Peterhouse, the ground looked in fine shape.
Peterhouse U14C 4th change bowler and no. 10 batsman (but only because Aaron didn't have a bat).