Meet the Crockers

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Meet the Crockers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

https://www.thestandard.co.zw/2017/05/1 ... ele-heart/
US-based former Zimbabwe cricket team all-rounder, Gary Crocker’s Facebook bio intro reads, “Born in the City of Kings – Bulawayo, a Matabele at heart, now living in the city of Angels – Los Angeles.”

yesteryear profile with munyaradzi madzokere

This is the same man who drove 440km through the night with wife and kid, after receiving a late call-up to the team on the eve of Zimbabwe’s historic first-ever Test match against India back in October 1992.

Unfortunately, invasions on white-owned farms at the turn of the century did not spare his family and after losing all they had, he had to leave the country and start a new life in America’s entertainment hub, Los Angeles.

But 15 years on, Crocker has not forgotten who he is and where he came from, even though he lives in the bright lights of Hollywood.

“Well, Bulawayo is the most beautiful city in the world! Not necessarily because of its building infrastructure, but because of its amazing people and because that is where I was born,” Crocker told Standardsport from Barbados, where he is currently taking part in the Golden Oldies Cricket Festival.

“I have played for Matabeleland all my life in various sports, it’s where I grew up and I am immensely proud to be a Matabele. I never ever wanted to leave there, I am Matabele. But I am just as proud to have been born and raised in that amazing country we all love,” he said.

Crocker was part of the Zimbabwe cricket team that drew with India in the country’s inaugural Test match and included veteran greats such as John Traicos, Andy Pycroft, Malcom Jarvis, and Dave Houghton, to mention just but four.

Now running a small business within the golf course industry in the US, Crocker recalled his fortuitous late inclusion into the Zimbabwe team for the first Test on the eve of the game.

He received the call so late that he had to drive through the night from Bulawayo to Harare.

“I received a call from the late Derrick Townshend , the then national selector around 8pm on the eve of the first day of the Test telling me that Ali Shah had injured himself in training and might not be able to play and that I needed to get up to Harare on an early morning flight

“I wasn’t prepared to miss this opportunity and wasn’t sure whether or not I could get in the flight so I made a decision at 11pm that night to drive up to Harare with my wife Shelley and baby, Kristen.

“We drove through the night and got into Harare at around 4am on the day of the Test match. It didn’t matter what time it was, I just wanted to play for my country,” he reminisced.

And for all his trouble, Crocker scored an unbeaten 23 in the first innings and grabbed the wicket of the visitors’ opener Woorkeri Raman before the match ended in a draw.

An inspired Crocker would also go on to grab four wickets for 26 runs on his One Day International (ODI) debut during the same series against India.

He claimed the big wickets of Mohammad Azharuddin, Sachin Tendulkar, Sanjay Manjrekar and Manoj Prabhakar before scoring the Zimbabwe’s only half ton, but the match sadly ended in a 30-run defeat for the hosts.

“I am very proud to have been part of Zimbabwe’s inaugural test match. That one was special because the players and the cricket administration that was headed by Elwyn Pichanick and Dave Ellman-Brown had worked tirelessly and unselfishly to get Zimbabwe the Test status that we all believed we deserved,” he said.

Meanwhile, Crocker’s son, Sean is building his legend in the golf world, where he is doing wonders in the US collegiate golf circuit.

But how did the son of a brilliant cricketer and good baseball player end up taking the golf route.

“When I came to the US, I didn’t see the point in him playing cricket, it wasn’t going to lead him anywhere. I introduced him to baseball and American football initially, both in which he excelled but after I introduced him to golf, it was always going to be that game that he would become committed to. He is in love with the game,” the 55-year-old former cricketer said.

While it seems like a sure bet that Sean (20), will compete or even win a major championship in his career, his father refused to go ahead of himself in terms of the potential his son exudes.

“He has all the talent, commitment and the dedication to make it in this game. We will all just have to wait but I must say, it’s exciting to watch,” was all he could say.

Crocker played golf for years and represented the Rhodesian Junior golf team that toured South Africa in 1978/9. He played for the Matabeleland men’s team in national league for quite some time.

His focus now is to be a part of Sean’s golf journey.

Crocker’s cricket journey began at Baines Junior School in Bulawayo and his late dad would always take him to watch Currie Cup Cricket at Queens Sports Club.

Watching players like the late Paddy Clift, Mike Proctor (who is also currently attending the Golden Oldies Cricket Festival in Barbados), John Traicos, Howie Gardener and Robin Jackman simply inspired him.

After playing in the first few tests, Crocker drew away from cricket following some administrative changes.

“There was a quota system that was being put into place that affected the selection process. It was a little unfair but I understand how it all works. At that point I felt that the cricket administration was falling apart and that they didn’t have the game and its players at heart. I guess the results show today.

“The sad thing is that I believe we still have the talent to play at the highest of levels, but we don’t have the right people running the show anymore,” he said.

However, Crocker’s ultimate fantasy has nothing to with sport but all to do with the city of his birth – Bulawayo.

“I’d love to retire someday and be able to see the jacaranda trees blooming along Selbourne Avenue again and to smell and feel a Zimbabwe thunderstorm approaching!” he exclaimed.

“I am not sure if that will ever be so, I will be happy just to continue what I’m doing. Help my daughter who went back to live in Zimbabwe and to watch my son’s path to playing professional golf and of course, growing old with my amazing wife Shelley.”

gargamel

Re: Meet the Crockers

Post by gargamel »

GReat read. I have great admiration for the first 11 / 13 men they have great back stories of being part timers that were good enough on the international stage. The contrast in commitment to our current crop is startling as is the small gape between a full time highly paid pro to a guy who played part time running a business / farm/ full time employment along with family commitments.
Rainbow Cricket Club First and Always

watermelon

Post by watermelon »

Watermelon here,

Zimbabwe cricket should return to its amateur roots. Our current lot don't deserve the riches they are currently showered with. Cut the pay and let the game be played by those who truly love it. Most of the current bunch can get jobs at KFC or lurk outside toilet blocks looking for a quick dollar.

-watermelon.
<3 Jemisi rules <3

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

I always see this story pop up year to year.

Everyone always glamorizes this road trip Crocker made from Bulawayo to Harare. I swear people are moved to tears when this is told, thats what it feels like.

Im seriously awaiting the Spielberg directed movie about Crockers voyage in the car to Harare, complete with score and Oscar fishing dramatic pauses.

The cunt took a roadie, nothing more and nothing less.

I always go on drives with the boys.

Parramatta to the blue mountains
parra up to newcastle and back, all in the evening.

Wheres my cricinfo article?
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

watermelon

Post by watermelon »

Are you joking to me?

This was one of the most moving moments in ZC history.

Who thought whites were capable of such devotion?
<3 Jemisi rules <3

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Tue May 16, 2017 5:11 am
I always see this story pop up year to year.
Well, to be fair, this story in great detail has come up only twice, once last year when Brickhill and Holme reminisced Zim's inaugural test at the backdrop of their 100th, and now, when he was available for an interview. Definitely better than re-reading those rebel saga write-ups and the yearly armband protest churn-outs.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Tue May 16, 2017 5:11 am
Everyone always glamorizes this road trip Crocker made from Bulawayo to Harare. I swear people are moved to tears when this is told, thats what it feels like.

Im seriously awaiting the Spielberg directed movie about Crockers voyage in the car to Harare, complete with score and Oscar fishing dramatic pauses
We've still got the cast of "The Last Rhodesian" on retainer.

I'm sure we could find a way to squeeze in parts for Morgan Freeman and George Clooney? I love the Oscar bait, but we want mass box office appeal. If we want to produce something nobody will watch we'd just air the Test match. So I'm thinking a high octane cross between National Lampoon's Vacation, Wild Hogs and Fast and Furious.

There could be cameos from Tim Allen - a zany pub owner in Enkeldoorn who will no doubt produce some hilarious adventure, Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson as an opposition player chasing after our Crocker for some reason, and Chevy Chase - a well meaning buffoon who accidentally directs Crocker to the Harare in Cape Town giving us a perfect race-against-the-clock scenario for the boys to get to the ground before the start of play.

foreignfield

Post by foreignfield »

brmtaylor.com admin wrote:
Tue May 16, 2017 12:41 pm
So I'm thinking a high octane cross between National Lampoon's Vacation, Wild Hogs and Fast and Furious.
You can always throw in "The Transporter".

Mueddie28

Post by Mueddie28 »

watermelon wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 8:29 pm
Watermelon here,

Zimbabwe cricket should return to its amateur roots. Our current lot don't deserve the riches they are currently showered with. Cut the pay and let the game be played by those who truly love it. Most of the current bunch can get jobs at KFC or lurk outside toilet blocks looking for a quick dollar.

-watermelon.
You
Watermelon you took the farmers, chased the real White guys with a passion to Cricket away, imposed a quota system on the starting X1 ,now you have destroyed the game you talk about bring those with passion to play cricket back...
U sir are an idiot

watermelon

Post by watermelon »

Watermelon here again,

Mueddie you are the forum clown for a reason. I know for a fact that many readers of this forum sigh when they see you have replied to all the threads with your nonsensical ramblings. I don't know where your head has been over the last year or so, but I have long called for those with passion to play the game. I am on record as saying the team should be white and the admin black.

I never chased anyone off a farm or imposed quotas. Just because I live in an acquired farm does not mean I did the chasing myself.
You are right that I may have friends in high places, but I only use them to further my business interests with african antiquities.

-watermelon.
<3 Jemisi rules <3