Standard of the Zimbabwean First Class competition

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
TapsC

Re: Standard of the Zimbabwean First Class competition

Post by TapsC »

I just feel with especially the English domestic setup they just have too many FC teams and that their weakest sides would not necessarily beat teams from weaker domestic setups

ljriley90

Post by ljriley90 »

My angle with it all is purely selfish I must admit.

My club plays in the Greater Manchetser League ECB Division 1 so one below Prem.

How do you think a guy like a Musakand, Jongwe, Kunje or Masvaure would fair in this standard?

I know Masvaure and Kunje have had UK trips before and done well but Prince played in a Devon league where the playing conditions are a little more relaxed and Charlie played in Scotland...

I really think there's some good value for a UK club to pick up a Zimbabwean FC player in and out of the Nation al or "A" side and employ them as there "pro"

Would Jongwe's batting being able to cope with the swinging ball?
Would Masvaure's seamers be a troubling enough pace for good UK league batsman?
Why hasn't Musakanda had a chance with the ball in Domestic cricket?

Financially my club isn't in the greatest position (old unpaid tax bill) but we always look to employ a FC cricketer from overseas to be our Pro and they lead the clubs senior training and junior programs.

I'm guessing with the unpredictability of payments in Zim cricket a guaranteed wage from a UK club for our summer would be a nice bonus for a lad wanting to push for higher honours and pick up some experience in Northern hemisphere conditions.

What is the weekly wage for domestic FC cricketer in Zim per week?

Should be win for both club and player I guess.

GregorPJ
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by GregorPJ »

ljriley90 wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 1:38 pm
My angle with it all is purely selfish I must admit.

My club plays in the Greater Manchetser League ECB Division 1 so one below Prem.

How do you think a guy like a Musakand, Jongwe, Kunje or Masvaure would fair in this standard?

I know Masvaure and Kunje have had UK trips before and done well but Prince played in a Devon league where the playing conditions are a little more relaxed and Charlie played in Scotland...

I really think there's some good value for a UK club to pick up a Zimbabwean FC player in and out of the Nation al or "A" side and employ them as there "pro"

Would Jongwe's batting being able to cope with the swinging ball?
Would Masvaure's seamers be a troubling enough pace for good UK league batsman?
Why hasn't Musakanda had a chance with the ball in Domestic cricket?

Financially my club isn't in the greatest position (old unpaid tax bill) but we always look to employ a FC cricketer from overseas to be our Pro and they lead the clubs senior training and junior programs.

I'm guessing with the unpredictability of payments in Zim cricket a guaranteed wage from a UK club for our summer would be a nice bonus for a lad wanting to push for higher honours and pick up some experience in Northern hemisphere conditions.

What is the weekly wage for domestic FC cricketer in Zim per week?

Should be win for both club and player I guess.
Kunje played for Meigle in Scotland which wasn't a great standard, if he had played at the top level in Scotland it would have been a real test.

My club have had Zimbabwean Pros in the past, notably Dabengwa & Malcolm Waller. And they both good hardworking individuals both on and off the pitch. Musakanda is in the UK I believe with the Zim Academy that Taibu is running. Kunje was meant to be playing for a different side in Scotland this year but his visa was rejected (assuming he tried to bend the rules and was caught). Jongwe has no official coaching qualifications if thats an issue for you.

Without discussing my clubs personal finances directly, we aren't a rich club but could afford both of those zimbos comfortably. I suggest you contact them directly or via their agents and see whats what!

http://www.cricx.com/index.php?option=c ... 52&Itemid=

http://www.worldsportsxchange.co.uk/cli ... les-kunje/

http://www.ksca.co.uk/lukejongwe

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

TapsC wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 12:37 pm
another way of looking at it is if we were to take the bottom team from county division 2 last year. How would they do playing against the best club sides in Australia? Would they win the competition? Just food for thought.. there are actually multiple ways of looking at this
County 2 sides would get ripped by the top grade sides.

Top grade sides= middle of the road county sides
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Googly

Post by Googly »

zimstarr wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 8:53 am
Robbo wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 4:58 pm
I would say it's comparable to top level English club cricket ( ECB Premier leagues) or maybe County 2nd XI. That's just an English comparison though. Not sure how it would stack against Australian grade cricket?
Even cephas zhuwawo is scoring 37 ball 100 in these ecb prem league comps these are amateur level comps
I was trying to see what Prem division clubs he'd played for. He seems to have played a bit for Eversley which is Div 2. There are big jumps between Div 2, Div 1 and Prem league. He's an exciting player to watch, but I don't think he would brutalise a Prem side, those guys play smart cricket. Someone also mentioned Mash Eagles would beat Essex- not whilst my nought points downwards! Someone else mentioned that most Two's sides had one decent seamer at most- again not even close. In English conditions I think they'd struggle against most County Two's sides. County Two's games have 5 or 6 contracted players, their best Academy players and there are very few weak links, it's a very high standard of cricket. The guys to ask would be the likes of Burl, PJ and BT who've spent some time over there and played County Two's level and know first hand what's going on. This is a great topic and have enjoyed reading the posts.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 3:25 pm
TapsC wrote:
another way of looking at it is if we were to take the bottom team from county division 2 last year. How would they do playing against the best club sides in Australia? Would they win the competition? Just food for thought.. there are actually multiple ways of looking at this

Are those grade sides the next level below Sheffield Shield? The Shield has what 8 teams? Counties have 18...so a middle of the road county side would be the ones ranked 8-10...ie bottom of Div 1 and top of Div 2.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Intersting threat topic.

I think the best thing way to have some idea is to see how ZIM players do in their respective UK leagues and compare with their Logan Cup records. For example, years ago, Bangladesh had Mohammad Ashraful turn up for a summer to play at Rainhill CC (forget what city but I think it was near Manchester???). Anyways, Ash dominated the league from what I recall. I think he averaged 40+ with the bat and around 15 with the ball. He hit a double century and also had 3 and 4 wicket hauls. His domestic FC and List A record has been a lot less stellar which indicates that Rainhill is at a level well below Bangladeshi domestic FC.

So suppose a guy like Maruma averages 50 in his league in the UK, but averages 25 or 30 in Logan Cups, you can figure that the Logan cup is considerably tougher than that particular UK league.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 8:05 pm
ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 3:25 pm
TapsC wrote:

Are those grade sides the next level below Sheffield Shield? The Shield has what 8 teams? Counties have 18...so a middle of the road county side would be the ones ranked 8-10...ie bottom of Div 1 and top of Div 2.
Yes, The NSW Premier Cricket Comp is the direct level below Sheffield Shield for the state of NSW of mainly Sydney based teams. Australias most populous state.

In Australia, there are 6 domestic First Class teams. Note that this is only TWO more than Zimbabwe and 12 less than the diluted County system.

These teams are;

NSW
VICTORIA
SOUTH AUSTRALIA
WESTERN AUSTRALIA
QUEENSLAND
TASMANIA.

Note that Tasmania is a very small state, only about half their squad are native Tassies, they are largely made up of ex NSW and VIC players looking for a gig. player like Ed Cowan couldnt crack the NSW team so made it to Australia through Tasmania. I see this as a lesson for Zimbabweans who want an IPL contract but are stuck in a lower platform where they cant showcase their skills.

In the BBL teams, the state names are replaced with funky names linked to their capital city (QLD/Brisbane etc) but there are 2 additional teams because of half the country coming from Melbourne and Sydney.

Vusi Sibanda played Sydney/NSW Premier Cricket for a brief stint around 2012 when he was in a purple patch and largely couldnt compete.

A few years earlier, he played first grade in a another competition that runs concurrent called Sydney Shires, and dominated with an average of 80+.

Sydney Shires First Grade is the equivalent of 3rd or 4th grade premier cricket, so that is pretty consistent with my belief that an established Zimbabwean domestic cricketer is about 2nd grade standard.

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

The Robot
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by The Robot »

Zimbabwe Domestic Cricket standard might improve if two more franchises are included, with three under 19 players must feature in Playing XI for all the franchises

1) Eagles
2) Rhinos
3) Tuskers
4) Moutaineers
5) Southern Rocks
6) Rising Academy

1) Sean Wliiliams 2) Craig Ervine 3) Peter Moor 4) Greame Cremer 5) Malcolm Waller 6) Nathan Waller 7) Brendan Taylor

When it comes to discussion about white community players, only these 7 players comes every time, out of these 7, Taylor retired from the game and his come back is still under darkness.

It seems, there are no more white players in Zimbabwe, except these 7.

Nathan Waller at present is doing great in domestic cricket and list A matches, but yet to make his debut whereas underperformed Solomon Mire, Chigumbura is still getting selected for doing nothing. Domestic cricket is now for the gardeners & for the players whose relatives hold major post in a franchise, irresepective of talent.
Robo to rule :oops:

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

The Robot wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 3:41 am

1) Sean Wliiliams 2) Craig Ervine 3) Peter Moor 4) Greame Cremer 5) Malcolm Waller 6) Nathan Waller 7) Brendan Taylor

When it comes to discussion about white community players, only these 7 players comes every time, out of these 7, Taylor retired from the game and his come back is still under darkness.

It seems, there are no more white players in Zimbabwe, except these 7.
James Bruce and Ryan Burl says hi.

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.