Standard of the Zimbabwean First Class competition

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Standard of the Zimbabwean First Class competition

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Short answer is he could but unlikely. I haven't checked his recent stats but he doesn't set the Comp on fire. He's a middle of the range bat.

He could definitely make the BBL as a depth player given he has an international name now. If he had his bowling sorted he would be a strong chance.

The one good thing going for him is I have noticed that when players get called up to national duty (which is always happening concurrent to the Comp) and throw in a few injuries and suspensions the depth is shallow in terms of clean hitting. You rarely see depth players come in and smash 25 ball half centuries. A notable exception is crah mcdermotts son last year for the hurricanes who came and made a 60 ball century on debut.

That was an amazing game. Team one set a new BBL total record and it got chased down. Even when they needed something like 35 of two overs
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

To answer your other thoughts then yes his chances will increase if he's not forced to be in the foreign quota, and if he wants to move to a better league he will have to come to Sydney where the grade Comp is far far superior.

Problem is Sydney is so fuckimg expensive, that's a huge life move. One million US dollars gets you only a house on the outskirts of the city, 60kms from CBD.

I'm currently looking to purchase a one bed no frills unit 20 mins from the city and that will still set me back half a million US.

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

pariah
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by pariah »

TapsC wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:24 am
Solomon Mire recently got Australian citizenship( don't worry, he didn't give up his Zim citizenship). How good are the domestic players who aren't in the national side when it comes to clean hitting? could Solomon even move to a better quality club league?

I must also point out that the way somebody can go from a club setup in Australia to smashing an international century in Sri Lanka pretty much shows how strong the Aussie domestic setup is.
Hold your horses. Australia's domestic cricekt is nothing to write home about.

Solomon Mire was already doing well in ZImbabwe long ago, and was a victim just like is happening to Jongwe now. You can't celebrate Australia "handing back" a very flawed 28 year old, when England has ("saffers" and "zimbos") refined in their teens or early 20s, and soon after are internationals.

I spoke about Mire here, and also had him as captain (something he also did in a match against SCO or NED I think) - viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2741&p=36091&hilit=mire#p36091. So he was already a talent and Australia didn't exactly take him a steup up. After all, this is what Chigumbura was doing to the very best of Australia themselves before Mire left - http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/8787 ... ches-2010/.

You can never associate Australia with any youth development of any sort :lol: . They messed up the best ever bunch of young rugby players(Genia, Qade Cooper, Ioane, Ashley-Cooper etc). Australia should have ruled rugby for 6-8 years and they blew it! For cricket you only need to look at Pattinson and Cummins, plus a boy who had the goods to smash Sachin's records with eyes closed - Phil Hughes (may his soul rest in peace).

When you talk Australia talk sheep not youth. Even Sean Ervine ran away from there.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Yeah I think he's a good chance, squad depth is stretched due to players being unavailable due to international homies and also there being 8 BBL sides and only 6 State teams you'll find a few 'Club Cricketers' get a run .....

Naturally I have no idea what point Hhm is trying to get across ......
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

grant

Post by grant »

jaybro wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:07 am
Naturally I have no idea what point Hhm is trying to get across ......
+1

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

pariah wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:46 am
You can never associate Australia with any youth development of any sort :lol: . They messed up the best ever bunch of young rugby players(Genia, Qade Cooper, Ioane, Ashley-Cooper etc). Australia should have ruled rugby for 6-8 years and they blew it!
Lol.'I am now certain that you have never stepped foot on Aussie soil.

In rugby union, Australia bats so far above its weights its not funny.

Only two states of Australia have ever shown any interest in any rugby code. The others are AFL mad. Why do you think someone like our very own brmtaylor.com admin never chips into the rugby convo? And uses AFL examples? He lives in WA and probably has never watched a game.
Secondly. Rugby union never makes the news here anymore. It's a dead game. Australia is rugby league mad.
Fact one.
Any rugby league player in Australia that gets discarded by their club and picked up by a super rugby team walks into the wallabies side.
Fact two:
The lowest rugby league weekly NRL club game has never rated lower than a super rugby game.

Pariah, I'm telling you this because saying Australia should have rule the rugby union world is absurd. We are competive on the world scene purely through private schools, and good coaches.

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

eugene

Post by eugene »

The fact that Australia is consistently ranked in the top 3 for Rugby Union is remarkable. I have ever met about 5 Australians in my life who claim Union as their favourite sport. League, cricket, AFL, and soccer however have many more followers.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

pariah

Post by pariah »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:33 pm

Only two states of Australia have ever shown any interest in any rugby code. The others are AFL mad. Why do you think someone like our very own brmtaylor.com admin never chips into the rugby convo? And uses AFL examples? He lives in WA and probably has never watched a game.
Secondly. Rugby union never makes the news here anymore. It's a dead game. Australia is rugby league mad.
Fact one.
Any rugby league player in Australia that gets discarded by their club and picked up by a super rugby team walks into the wallabies side.
Fact two:
The lowest rugby league weekly NRL club game has never rated lower than a super rugby game.

Pariah, I'm telling you this because saying Australia should have rule the rugby union world is absurd. We are competive on the world scene purely through private schools, and good coaches.
eugene wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:02 pm
The fact that Australia is consistently ranked in the top 3 for Rugby Union is remarkable. I have ever met about 5 Australians in my life who claim Union as their favourite sport. League, cricket, AFL, and soccer however have many more followers.
I don't think anyone can read brmtaylor.com admin's mind. :lol:

How would a match between the Wallabies and a Rugby League XI go…with Bryce Lawrence as the ref?

It goes by popularity then. So when is the next AUS breakout cricket star? Agar was an accident and Cummins should be a crutches brand, while Steve Smith’s transformation makes me believe in witchcraft in our fairer cousins.

In terms of private schools, the situation is pretty much like South Africa then, and to a lesser extent Zimbabwe. But looking at those Wallabies rascals and their discipline, I think your private schools must be really messed up then.

NB: How was this state business sorted to begin with anyway? According to which group of convicts served where before they went down under or what? :lol:

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

pariah wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:35 pm
ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:33 pm

Fact one.
Fact two:

eugene wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:02 pm
I don't think anyone can read brmtaylor.com admin's mind. :lol:

How would a match between the Wallabies and a Rugby League XI go…with Bryce Lawrence as the ref?

It goes by popularity then. So when is the next AUS breakout cricket star? Agar was an accident and Cummins should be a crutches brand, while Steve Smith’s transformation makes me believe in witchcraft in our fairer cousins.

In terms of private schools, the situation is pretty much like South Africa then, and to a lesser extent Zimbabwe. But looking at those Wallabies rascals and their discipline, I think your private schools must be really messed up then.

NB: How was this state business sorted to begin with anyway? According to which group of convicts served where before they went down under or what? :lol:
The Kangaroos are the equivalent of the All Blacks, it's a shame they figure out a fair way for them to battle to see who's the better side ......

Australia produces plenty of good cricketers, Hhm's statement about Smith and witchcraft just shows what a wanker he is ......
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Pariah they havecactually tried the union v league thing with mixed rules and I think the league team won something like 80-0.

In Australia (NZ is different although brad thorn and SBW managed to virtually walk into the AB themselves) most of the famous backline players, Israel Folau, Karmichael Hunt,mat rogers, Lote tuqiri, Wendell sailor etc were just marquee league purchases.

Even now I'm just noticing Curtis Rona has cracked the wallabies and he was an average league winger for the Bulldogs two years ago, although admittedly he knows how to find the tryline in tight spaces. Remember also that any decent NRL (and Afl ) player will be on nearly a million Aussie dollars a year whereas even an established wallabies veteran will be on half of that (they will need to go to France or Japan to get big cash).

If someone like billy slater went to rugby union h would instantly be considered the best backline player in the world.

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.