Standard of the Zimbabwean First Class competition

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Standard of the Zimbabwean First Class competition

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

The Robot wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 3:41 am
Zimbabwe Domestic Cricket standard might improve if two more franchises are included, with three under 19 players must feature in Playing XI for all the franchises
No they wouldnt.

It would completely dilute the talent to an almost laughable situation where teams are looking for players to fill the 11.

We already have coaches playing their sons.

The sport of Rugby Union has been KILLED in Australia due to expansion that exceeds the talent pool. The sportt is no longer on free TV whereas its counterpart, Rugby League, has just signed a 500 billion dollar deal with the major networks and has the most watched event (state of origin) on Australian television. The NRL/Rugby League is very careful not to expand and keep a delicate talent to team ratio and a strictly enforced salary cap. Any team can beat each other on their day.

The AFL (Australian Rules) expanded from 16 to 18 a few years back and it while it hasnt cost fans it has wreaked havoc on their competitions ecosystem, with lopsided scores between the best and the worst a norm. Thats ony a 10% increase.

Elsewhere, in the USA, The same delicate expansion principle is applied and as a result, there are a few major capital American cities that dont have their own NFL team. Adding teams would even add short term revenue, but once again, would dilute the product until they develop alternate adequate talent streams.

There are only 4 world class contact football domestic competitions in the world. The NFL (gridiron), The NRL (R.League), Heineken Cup and French top 14 (Union) and at least 3 of those have strict talent control measures applied to it. No idea about french top 14.

Thats football, a sport I know, but the BBL wont expand due to the same reasons I keep repeating.

There is clearly not enough talent to even fill 4 sides in the Logan Cup Comp.

You need to be mindful of competition management.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

its clear that having 6 domestic teams increases competition in Australia making their club leagues even more competitive. just curious. what level are Mire and Mupariwa playing then? and how well must have Mire been doing to have even been given a chance in Big Bash?

We clearly dont have enough players for 6 domestic teams as shown by some of the players getting game time now when we are missing about 20 guys.

The Robot
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by The Robot »

TapsC wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 6:47 am
its clear that having 6 domestic teams increases competition in Australia making their club leagues even more competitive. just curious. what level are Mire and Mupariwa playing then? and how well must have Mire been doing to have even been given a chance in Big Bash?

We clearly dont have enough players for 6 domestic teams as shown by some of the players getting game time now when we are missing about 20 guys.

Mire & Mupariwara represented club level, not the franchises. He got picked in Big Bash because of his hitting ability.
Robo to rule :oops:

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Mire at last look played in the Victorian grade setup. I would say that is the second or third strongest setup in the country based on Melbourne nearly being the same size at Sydney. Dare I say it is probably just strong enough for him to be picked from that Comp to the national team.

He got picked for the BBL the year he did because he's a black zimbo who hit a bit of form that year. It was a development and community contract. Some random Hong Kong leggie got that contract this year.
Social justice warrior wanker shit. There's a lot of African refugees on the outskirts of Melbourne and they obviously thought he was good publicity. Not Completely unearned though because he was genuinely having a great year that he hasn't replicated since.

Mupariwa plays in the Tasmanian league. All of Tasmania only has 500k so it wouldn't be that strong at all. Kyle Bowie played it too.

The only thing that stops that league from being hopeless compared to the rest is that I think it's only a 6-8 team Comp when I looked?

Which is actually worth noting, Tasmanian cricket knows it's not strong so they consolidate and scale their premier competition accordingly to a small number of teams, which appears to be, once again, another example of competition management balancing talent to team numbers. Are you paying attention @robot?

You need to create an environment where cunts are fighting for spots. Anyone with any Real talent will walk into the Logan cup so we don't need expansion, I'd even advocate dropping a team and have a tri series with a strong club Comp underneath in zim.

Do I get an amen?

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 5:43 am
The sport of Rugby Union has been KILLED in Australia due to expansion that exceeds the talent pool. The sportt is no longer on free TV whereas its counterpart, Rugby League, has just signed a 500 billion dollar deal with the major networks and has the most watched event (state of origin) on Australian television. The NRL/Rugby League is very careful not to expand and keep a delicate talent to team ratio and a strictly enforced salary cap. Any team can beat each other on their day.

There are only 4 world class contact football domestic competitions in the world. The NFL (gridiron), The NRL (R.League), Heineken Cup and French top 14 (Union) and at least 3 of those have strict talent control measures applied to it. No idea about french top 14.
That sounds very impressive but it's fake news. The NRL didn't sign a rights deal the size of the GDP of Switzerland.

It's only the NSW bubble you live in that would make you think that the NRL is a world class competition and the AFL isn't - that's not a jab at you, I know I underrate the value of NRL because I don't live in that bubble. The AFL aren't expanding because they think it will increase the quality of football (it won't, as you rightly point out) - they are doing it because getting into more markets will increase the value of their product (which it has). And while personally I think there's a ceiling to their potential success because people in NSW/QLD just aren't that interested in footy, they aren't doing a bad job of expanding. Any inroads they make in those states is a net win, because they know NRL is not a threat in the AFL heartland.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

brmtaylor.com admin wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 11:43 am
ZIMDOGGY wrote:

That sounds very impressive but it's fake news. The NRL didn't sign a rights deal the size of the GDP of Switzerland.

It's only the NSW bubble you live in that would make you think that the NRL is a world class competition and the AFL isn't - that's not a jab at you, I know I underrate the value of NRL because I don't live in that bubble. The AFL aren't expanding because they think it will increase the quality of football (it won't, as you rightly point out) - they are doing it because getting into more markets will increase the value of their product (which it has). And while personally I think there's a ceiling to their potential success because people in NSW/QLD just aren't that interested in footy, they aren't doing a bad job of expanding. Any inroads they make in those states is a net win, because they know NRL is not a threat in the AFL heartland.
To address this;
- haha you got me on the 500 billion deal. Fake news indeed. I meant to say it went from 500000 to 1.8 to 2 billion in A short time. Typing too quick I think. That's the correct figure. Still in negotiation. Still huge. Foxtel dies without the NRL (and AFL). Ultimately rugby union is so far down the list it's not funny.

-AFL is huge and the southern states are beyond fanatic about it. Especially when it comes to pure gameday attendance. I didn't include it in the top 4 because we don't really consider it a tough contact sport in the way rugby league, union and NFL is. I can definitely see how some will disagree as there's some contact on a low level so I'm happy to put that in as number 5 in the list of world class football sports. The afl is huge for such a small market it exists in (4 states of Australia).

-AFL aren't expanding due to increased competition that's correct as we both agree on. They are trying to expand their territory out of the small space they exist in.
They have literally made a sacrifice to increase two teams into true NRL heartland to increase their market share. The administration at the time have pledged it to be a fifty year long term plan and are willing to sacrifice the sanctity of the competition strength, ill let you decide if you agree with that mentality or not? Regardless, I feel they made an error by giving them unfair advantage in the salary cap/draft and I thin the western Sydney team was an error. Should have been a Canberra team. AFL can take Canberra from the NRL if they are clever. A lot of Melbourne expats in the capital.

Australia is fairly similar in most aspects of life but fuck me they are chalk and cheese when it comes to winter sport between vic/tas/Sa/Wa and QLD/NSW/ACT and NZ if you include them.
Last edited by ZIMDOGGY on Fri May 19, 2017 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

zimstarr
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by zimstarr »

Googly wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 5:27 pm
zimstarr wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 8:53 am
Robbo wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 4:58 pm
I would say it's comparable to top level English club cricket ( ECB Premier leagues) or maybe County 2nd XI. That's just an English comparison though. Not sure how it would stack against Australian grade cricket?
Even cephas zhuwawo is scoring 37 ball 100 in these ecb prem league comps these are amateur level comps
I was trying to see what Prem division clubs he'd played for. He seems to have played a bit for Eversley which is Div 2. There are big jumps between Div 2, Div 1 and Prem league. He's an exciting player to watch, but I don't think he would brutalise a Prem side, those guys play smart cricket. Someone also mentioned Mash Eagles would beat Essex- not whilst my nought points downwards! Someone else mentioned that most Two's sides had one decent seamer at most- again not even close. In English conditions I think they'd struggle against most County Two's sides. County Two's games have 5 or 6 contracted players, their best Academy players and there are very few weak links, it's a very high standard of cricket. The guys to ask would be the likes of Burl, PJ and BT who've spent some time over there and played County Two's level and know first hand what's going on. This is a great topic and have enjoyed reading the posts.
if mash eagles were to play against essex it would be a close match . the eagles wont be brushed aside easily guys like chibhabha have faced quality bowlers like trent bolt/mitchel starc and mustafizur rahman so a bowler from essex who is not on an ECB central contract wont be too threatening but their batting is strong .mash eagles win/draw at harare sports club and essex wins @the county ground .

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

I can't believe this is even being discussed. The Zimbabwe national team is barely competitive against most other nations domestic sides. I reckon any six of the NZ domestic teams would beat Zimbabwe. The Zimbabwe domestic standard is probably somewhere between semi-pro and amateur.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
The Robot wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 3:41 am
Zimbabwe Domestic Cricket standard might improve if two more franchises are included, with three under 19 players must feature in Playing XI for all the franchises
No they wouldnt.

It would completely dilute the talent to an almost laughable situation where teams are looking for players to fill the 11.

We already have coaches playing their sons.

The AFL (Australian Rules) expanded from 16 to 18 a few years back and it while it hasnt cost fans it has wreaked havoc on their competitions ecosystem, with lopsided scores between the best and the worst a norm. Thats ony a 10% increase.

Elsewhere, in the USA, The same delicate expansion principle is applied and as a result, there are a few major capital American cities that dont have their own NFL team. Adding teams would even add short term revenue, but once again, would dilute the product until they develop alternate adequate talent streams.

Thats football, a sport I know, but the BBL wont expand due to the same reasons I keep repeating.

There is clearly not enough talent to even fill 4 sides in the Logan Cup Comp.

You need to be mindful of competition management.

I would add Aviva Premiership to the Rugby Union competitions. The English club sides are string these days and the competition is healthy, as evidenced by Saracens being unstoppable in Europe but still not even being the best team in England.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

Solomon Mire recently got Australian citizenship( don't worry, he didn't give up his Zim citizenship).
Wanted to find out from our Members down under whether that will open new doors for him given his current form. There are now videos of him smashing Malinga and Morne Morkel online. Now I'm not saying he is Chris Gayle but could he genuinely deserve another chance in the Big Bash if he counts as a local? How good are the domestic players who aren't in the national side when it comes to clean hitting? could Solomon even move to a better quality club league? I don't really know the rules when it comes to foreign quotas in Australia.

I must also point out that the way somebody can go from a club setup in Australia to smashing an international century in Sri Lanka pretty much shows how strong the Aussie domestic setup is.