Future tour rumours

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
TapsC

Re: Future tour rumours

Post by TapsC »

That test against England was probably waiting to be confirmed because they thought we have no chance of qualifying.

Mr Twig

Post by Mr Twig »

TapsC wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:51 pm
That test against England was probably waiting to be confirmed because they thought we have no chance of qualifying.
That test is dead now. I'd say it's more due to our performance against SA which rightfully scared off England and probably every other country from ever hosting us in a Test match. ECB now talking to Ireland to fill that slot.
https://www.cricket.com.au/news/england ... 2018-06-03

The next FTP will be out soon.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Mr Twig wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:31 am

That test is dead now. I'd say it's more due to our performance against SA which rightfully scared off England and probably every other country from ever hosting us in a Test match. ECB now talking to Ireland to fill that slot.
https://www.cricket.com.au/news/england ... 2018-06-03

The next FTP will be out soon.
One performance doesn't affect whether a team tours or not. Otherwise teams should have been lining up to play after the PAK win in 2013. Do you remember how riveting that Test was? It literally went down to the wire. Similarly England and AUS wouldn't be avoiding Bangladesh like the plague given how close the last series was with each.

At the same time, AUS and PAK would have been sitting at home rather than playing against a team that failed to chase 24 from 18 against a team that was in WCL Division 2 not so long ago.

These decisions may not even be purely financial, as an example, I have trouble thinking Sri Lanka are a more profitable team to host than Bangladesh. What is more likely is that its a combinantion of monetary reasons + long-standing perceptions which take years and possibly decades to change. People still think of Lanka as World Cup champs and Bangladesh as perennial minnows.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

Mr Twig

Post by Mr Twig »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:34 pm
One performance doesn't affect whether a team tours or not. Otherwise teams should have been lining up to play after the PAK win in 2013. Do you remember how riveting that Test was? It literally went down to the wire. Similarly England and AUS wouldn't be avoiding Bangladesh like the plague given how close the last series was with each.
After that Pak win in 2013 , we had SL lined up but that series was cancelled due to no money. If they were lining up, Zim couldn't host.

Most countries still continue to tour Zimbabwe every 4-5 years regardless of our performances so that really isn't a problem, but due to our performances, we rarely get away tours, especially Tests. Zim were lucky in 2017 to get that 1 SL Test (was originally 2 and could've ended up being 0) and their good showing there probably helped Zim secure the 4-day Test in SA.

After that SA disaster, we've lost the away Test as per FTP against SA later this year (changed to an extra 2 T20Is) and lost the away Test against India (changed to 3 T20Is) and England next year. Hopefully the 3 Tests v Bangladesh in January goes ahead but I have my doubts (probably reduced to 1 or 0 Tests and more ODIs/T20Is, but we'll see).
Kriterion_BD wrote:
These decisions may not even be purely financial, as an example, I have trouble thinking Sri Lanka are a more profitable team to host than Bangladesh. What is more likely is that its a combinantion of monetary reasons + long-standing perceptions which take years and possibly decades to change. People still think of Lanka as World Cup champs and Bangladesh as perennial minnows.
True. West Indies are still living off their reputation from the 80s with regular full 3 Test tours although it looks like they’ve lost the Boxing Day Test in Australia in 2019 to NZ, so things are slowly changing. Bangladesh still have a way to go but you’ve made the Test Championship so that’s a big step forward in itself.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Mr Twig wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:25 am
Kriterion_BD wrote:
After that Pak win in 2013 , we had SL lined up but that series was cancelled due to no money. If they were lining up, Zim couldn't host.

Most countries still continue to tour Zimbabwe every 4-5 years regardless of our performances so that really isn't a problem, but due to our performances, we rarely get away tours, especially Tests. Zim were lucky in 2017 to get that 1 SL Test (was originally 2 and could've ended up being 0) and their good showing there probably helped Zim secure the 4-day Test in SA.

After that SA disaster, we've lost the away Test as per FTP against SA later this year (changed to an extra 2 T20Is) and lost the away Test against India (changed to 3 T20Is) and England next year. Hopefully the 3 Tests v Bangladesh in January goes ahead but I have my doubts (probably reduced to 1 or 0 Tests and more ODIs/T20Is, but we'll see).
Kriterion_BD wrote:
True. West Indies are still living off their reputation from the 80s with regular full 3 Test tours although it looks like they’ve lost the Boxing Day Test in Australia in 2019 to NZ, so things are slowly changing. Bangladesh still have a way to go but you’ve made the Test Championship so that’s a big step forward in itself.
Windies wont be getting many 3 match series in the Test league...I'd be surprised if they got any. But NZ wont get many either and they are ranked 4th in the world I think.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

Stoneman Returns
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by Stoneman Returns »

Associate Cricket has improved a lot, giving tough fights to top nations.

Impact performance from Zimbabwe is needed instead of criticizing ICC and asking for test fixtures gifts. Last time an impact performance shown by Zimbabwe was against Pakistan in 2013, since then test cricket has been poor for Zimbabwe.
Success depends on Aggressive Instinct

Mr Twig

Post by Mr Twig »

The new FTP is out 2019-2022/23

https://pulse-static-files.s3.amazonaws ... _Tours.pdf

More of the same. Funnily enough we're touring Ireland while the World Cup is on.

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by sloandog »

I miss the 2003 summer when Zimbabwe South Africa and England were in a tri series :roll: That was ace! Andy Bliggers bowling heat against Freddie Flintoff at Durham (93mph)

Dr_Situ(ZimFanatic)
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Dr_Situ(ZimFanatic) »

ODI League
In addition, the 12 Test playing nations and the Netherlands, will participate in the 13-team ODI League, which will run from 1 May 2020 to 31 March 2022 and all the sides will play eight series over a two-year cycle on a home and away basis against mutually agreed opponents.

Zimbabwe’s opening series in the ODI league is against Australia in Australia in June 2020.

This league will serve as a qualification pathway for the ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup 2023. India (as host) plus the seven highest-ranked sides in the ODI league as on 31 March 2022 will qualify directly for the ICC Cricket World Cup 2023, while the bottom five sides will get a second chance to qualify through the ICC Cricket World Cup Qualifier.
http://m.wisdenindia.com/full-story.php ... &id=300686
Zim Rules
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dr Satendra Singh, Delhi, India
Twitter: @drsitu

Zero76

Post by Zero76 »

Playing in Australia in June, interesting. Would almost assume that the games would held way up north in Darwin and Cairns, kinda like what they did for SL and Bangladesh back in the day.
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder