Future tour rumours

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Future tour rumours

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

jaybro wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:34 am
Can we not invite the Dutch or the Scots or the Irish?

Maybe a Quad series or something?
I’d rather we aim higher than this.

Windies Sri Lanka Ireland
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

slcricfan1

Post by slcricfan1 »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:20 am
jaybro wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:34 am
Can we not invite the Dutch or the Scots or the Irish?

Maybe a Quad series or something?
I’d rather we aim higher than this.

Windies Sri Lanka Ireland
Yeah, need more Windies Zimbabwe matches. Would be pretty hard fought I`d like to think. Maybe some nice CPL gigs too

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Very disappointing if the AFG Test is cancelled. AFG, IRE, and ZIM need to be playing 4-6 Tests per year, and if series like these get cancelled, they will struggle to even get 2 per year. I can't see any of these teams playing more than 5 or 6 Tests in a 4 year cycle if they keep cancelling series. Cricket Ireland looks happy to not play any Tests. Sad to see Afghans and ZC following the same playbook.

ICC needs to bring the Test fund back, or create Test Challenge league with the bottom 3 teams.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:14 pm
Very disappointing if the AFG Test is cancelled. AFG, IRE, and ZIM need to be playing 4-6 Tests per year, and if series like these get cancelled, they will struggle to even get 2 per year. I can't see any of these teams playing more than 5 or 6 Tests in a 4 year cycle if they keep cancelling series. Cricket Ireland looks happy to not play any Tests. Sad to see Afghans and ZC following the same playbook.

ICC needs to bring the Test fund back, or create Test Challenge league with the bottom 3 teams.
Yeah that's true. If series like these get cancelled then it's a real shame and a cause of serious concern for this beautiful game. We are effectively reduced to 9 test playing nations and no one gives a damn.

The worst part is that if Zim, Afg and Ire don't support each other in playing tests then no one else will.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

ZC are very keen to play Tests. The ICC needs to make it cheaper and/or heavily subsidise it and the other boards have to show some interest too, or else we are fighting a losing battle.

It’s about 18 months since we played one I think. Just an insane situation.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Raza confirmed on the Dean DuPlessis podcast that the Afghanistan tour is definitely off
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Dave confirmed also that the Afghanistan tour is off and that the next tour will a home ODI & T20 series v Ireland, before the Windies come over for 2 Tests.

Such a shame that in the 30-year anniversary of Zimbabwe’s first ever test that they don’t play a test in that entire year.

Also a shame that over the festive part of the year, there will be no cricket for Zimbabwe. At least the players will get to spend it home with their families, and there also shouldn’t be any excuses for senior players to skip the Logan Cup that kicks off next Tuesday.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

Just figured out that Zimbabwe's tour of Afghanistan is after the WCQs. Which means as of now Zimbabwe have only 6 ODIs between now and the WCQs, along with the 3 T20s and 2 tests.

That's very few games. Will be interesting to see if ZC plan some games in April and May for WCQ preparations. The qualifiers will be from June 3rd week to July 1st week.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

sam_ahm wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:35 pm
Just figured out that Zimbabwe's tour of Afghanistan is after the WCQs. Which means as of now Zimbabwe have only 6 ODIs between now and the WCQs, along with the 3 T20s and 2 tests.

That's very few games. Will be interesting to see if ZC plan some games in April and May for WCQ preparations. The qualifiers will be from June 3rd week to July 1st week.
We are supposed to be touring Namibia in April-ish

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

secretzimbo wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:51 pm

We are supposed to be touring Namibia in April-ish
Namibia may or may not even qualify for the WCQ, from my estimation. They are a decent T20 side, but still a very mediocre ODI unit. Makes sense, the jump up from 20 over to 50 over cricket is probably on the order of a magnitude.

I think ZC will need to organize more games vs IRE or AFG or even WI/SL...teams that not only are guaranteed to be in the Qualifers, but also have a realistic shot at qualifying for the actual World Cup. They need a healthy mix of games vs teams like NAM, but also against higher quality opposition so as not to be undercooked going into June/July.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)