Future tour rumours

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Re: Future tour rumours

Post by foreignfield »

So much for Ireland chasing their dream of Test cricket :evil:

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

I think the most difficult thing about supporting Zimbabwe is that we hardly seem to play. The guys get some form in the test arena and then don't play another test for 12 months.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

eugene wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:54 am
I think the most difficult thing about supporting Zimbabwe is that we hardly seem to play. The guys get some form in the test arena and then don't play another test for 12 months.
ZC really need to start making more friends around the ICC table to have other countries host them more regularly if hosting games is too expensive. The thing that makes it difficult is that hosting Zimbabwe doesn't really make you any money so the other countries aren't keen to host them.

I guess the new ODI League will help Zimbabwe get a steady stream of fixtures, but after playing their last game in early November it's simply unacceptable that they won't be playing again until July !!!!
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Mr Twig

Post by Mr Twig »

jaybro wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:00 am
eugene wrote:
ZC really need to start making more friends around the ICC table to have other countries host them more regularly if hosting games is too expensive. The thing that makes it difficult is that hosting Zimbabwe doesn't really make you any money so the other countries aren't keen to host them.

I guess the new ODI League will help Zimbabwe get a steady stream of fixtures, but after playing their last game in early November it's simply unacceptable that they won't be playing again until July !!!!
Afghanistan has basically replaced us. They are the cool new guys everyone loves while we are old and stale hanging around like a bad smell.

jward

Post by jward »

Mr Twig wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:46 pm
jaybro wrote:
eugene wrote:

Afghanistan has basically replaced us. They are the cool new guys everyone loves while we are old and stale hanging around like a bad smell.
Mr Twig wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:46 pm
jaybro wrote:
eugene wrote:

If Afghanistan play against other teams in the same way as they play against Zimbabwe, with a serious lack of respect for the spirit of the game and for their opponents, especially that nasty little creep Shahzad, they will soon be the stench in everybody's nostrils.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

jward wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:40 pm

If Afghanistan play against other teams in the same way as they play against Zimbabwe, with a serious lack of respect for the spirit of the game and for their opponents, especially that nasty little creep Shahzad, they will soon be the stench in everybody's nostrils.
If they keep winning games and producing exciting cricketers, that won't happen. There are plenty of annoying/borderline criminal cricketers from Kohli to Stokes to Warner/Smith. But their performances mean they are big ticket draws.

The Afghans I suspect will struggle in Test cricket - particularly with the bat. But in ODIs, their bowling stocks (mainly their spinners) will make them a competitive unit. It appears as though Nepal may be attemping to replicate a similar model of success.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

cricket_22001

Post by cricket_22001 »

Being the romantic I am, there is a faint hope the ICC will enforce the Test Championship. From what I understand, each test has relevance. So, even in a dead rubber, the remaining test(s) account for points which all contribute to the final tally of the championship. And relegation is a possibility for the last placed in the championship.
Zimbabwe, Ireland & Afghanistan have a certain number tests to play in order to see who challenges the last placed for the possibility of promotion.
The ICC has not set out a difficult FTP to follow. I would've thought this was to put an end to the cancelling of the test(s) & playing the shorter format only.
Also, India will be made to play day/night tests.
But, as I said, I'm a romantic.
Or a dreamer.
Or deluded.
Or all of the above.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Afghanistan I don’t think will last too long. Once Rashid goes I think they won get much better. Too much dramas in the country and I wouldn’t be surprised if some mullah in charge bans the game over there. I’ve read some have tried.

I think the real new kids on the block will be Nepal. Sleeping giant there with a large cricketing Base.

Personally I wish the Netherlands would kick on. They would be great tours. Doubt it’ll happen.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

I agree. I don't know why the ICC were so hasty in giving them Test status when Ireland had to slave away for so many years and Kenya never even got a look in - not to mention the fact that the country is a war zone where you can't actually stage a game of cricket.

I think Ireland will always be there and abouts for the simple reason that it's a country with money. (If for some reason Canada or Singapore played at the highest level I think you'd find the same thing.) Money will be pumped into the game by vested interests and the team will always be somewhat competitive even if they never really climb the rankings.
Once Rashid goes I think they won get much better.
What odds are you offering that he ends up retiring at age "25"?

The Robot
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by The Robot »

brmtaylor.com admin wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:53 pm
I agree. I don't know why the ICC were so hasty in giving them Test status when Ireland had to slave away for so many years and Kenya never even got a look in - not to mention the fact that the country is a war zone where you can't actually stage a game of cricket.

I think Ireland will always be there and abouts for the simple reason that it's a country with money. (If for some reason Canada or Singapore played at the highest level I think you'd find the same thing.) Money will be pumped into the game by vested interests and the team will always be somewhat competitive even if they never really climb the rankings.
Once Rashid goes I think they won get much better.
What odds are you offering that he ends up retiring at age "25"?

Not able to host game doesnt matter, even Pakistan is playing in UAE for long time because of security issues, its the performance that matters. Afghanistan was most discussed nation among the cricket experts when they were associates as they tore apart a test playing nation like Zimbabwe in worst way whenever they played, they even had neck to neck battle with Bangladesh, defeated Windies, nearly would have defeated strong Sri Lankan Side in 2015 World Cup. Their develooments have been massive and ICC was bound to give them Test Status.

Most lucky teams have been Ireland and Bangladesh as they had very least achievement before getting test status.
Robo to rule :oops: