Eddie Byrom FC debut for Somerset

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
firebreaker

Re: Eddie Byrom FC debut for Somerset

Post by firebreaker »

Zimbabwe should make doctored pitches in the tournament which help them in winning the whole thing because the format of the tournament may not be in favour of even top team.Play offs after knockout which could mean one loss get lost

Googly

Post by Googly »

maehara wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:52 am
pariah wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:23 pm
West Indies a different set of talents, but I fully expect Zimbabwe to be beating Afghanistan, Ireland, Netherland and Scotland.
Fixed that for you.
Netherlands rolled over last time Zim played them, not sure what happened, but they're a lot better than that. I wouldn't take them so lightly.

pariah
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by pariah »

maehara wrote:
pariah wrote:
West Indies a different set of talents, but I fully expect Zimbabwe to be beating Afghanistan, Ireland, Netherland and Scotland.
Fixed that for you.
For Zimbabwe, it's much easier to beat Afghanistan than it is to beat Ireland.

Just look at ZImbabwe's record against teams like NZ, whom Ireland resemble (along with the old ZImbabwe cricekt team of the farmers). Not easy to beat such teams.

But of late ZIM has beaten PAK, SL, IND(that T20), and BD quite often. That tells you ZIM's style of play is geared to beat such teams. Never mind AFG's mood swings.

I'll say it again, the reason Zimbabwe fail to beat these Associates is because it leaves out its match-winners. Guys like Hami, Vusi, Elton etc are used to bashing minnows (while being hammered by the traditional Full Members). It's no wonder a lot of the "new" guys have be thumped by the Associates/new sides because when they arrived those teams were psychologically on par with ZIM.

I've already posted stats which show Zim players' record against Afghanistan. Those weakest links won win you a game against Afghanistan. You can't argue against such evidence.

I still expect a full strength Zimbabwe to beat Afganistan and Ireland, while pushing what will still be a slightly weakened WI!

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Googly wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:32 am
maehara wrote:
pariah wrote:
Fixed that for you.
Netherlands rolled over last time Zim played them, not sure what happened, but they're a lot better than that. I wouldn't take them so lightly.
ZIM rested at least 4 key players in that game tho (Ervine, Williams, Chatara, and Cremer).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

Byrom makes 50 for Somerset top score as well for the innings

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/8052 ... n-One-2017
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Googly

Post by Googly »

I've watched a bit of his cricket recently. He looks very like Trescothick, which is natural I guess as they're both lefties and a youngster would naturally copy a good batter that he spends time with. He's looking really good at the crease, leaves well and is learning his game. I'm not sure whether Trescothick retires this year or not, but clearly Somerset think Byrom is the replacement, and he's looking like he may have what it takes. Next season will be the telling.

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by sloandog »

Googly wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:43 am
I've watched a bit of his cricket recently. He looks very like Trescothick, which is natural I guess as they're both lefties and a youngster would naturally copy a good batter that he spends time with. He's looking really good at the crease, leaves well and is learning his game. I'm not sure whether Trescothick retires this year or not, but clearly Somerset think Byrom is the replacement, and he's looking like he may have what it takes. Next season will be the telling.
Reckon there's ever going to be a chance of him or welch returning?

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

Is he on a Kolpak or does he have a European passport? That would determine a lot of things.. once heard he had an Irish passport. Don't know how true that is but if that's the case then I reckon Ireland getting test status might have screwed us over.. I hope that's not the case

Googly

Post by Googly »

Byrom has Irish heritage I believe. Welch is doing the hard yards qualifying. I doubt you'll see Welch back here before he gets a passport and you won't see Byrom back whilst he's got a successful County career. The problem is they're in an environment where they play nearly 50 games a year and to come back to Zim where there's no guarantee of even 6 games and no money at franchise level. Franchise selection is not even a guarantee. If ZC got their act together and one of them was offered a look at a fast track through the A side and into the national side it may be something they thought about, but it's not something that would be offered and there would be some mightily peeved local players. I think the attitude is come and do your time like everyone else. Yeah such a pity, two very talented young batsmen.

pariah
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by pariah »

Googly wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:24 pm
Franchise selection is not even a guarantee. If ZC got their act together and one of them was offered a look at a fast track through the A side and into the national side it may be something they thought about, but it's not something that would be offered and there would be some mightily peeved local players.
This is cheap and has several long term benefits compared to what they've done with Taylor and Jarvis, plus tried with Sean Ervine considering contact was confirmed to have been made.

Surely local players will be more upset with the current deals that were closed, than with giving these two a pass into a FC side and the A team. Given a choice most local players would prefer what is proposed for Welch and Byrom, than has been done/tried with much much older, Taylor, Jarvis and Sean Ervine. I think I;m right on that one.

Streak did this to secure his job, based on performance targets.