Eddie Byrom FC debut for Somerset

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
triedzi

Eddie Byrom FC debut for Somerset

Post by triedzi »

According to cricinfo, Eddie Byrom is in the team for today's match against Hampshire:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/county-cham ... 68555.html

Mueddie28

Re: Eddie Byrom FC debut for Somerset

Post by Mueddie28 »

G :W: :W: :W:

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

Not out 1 over night batting with Trescothic .....
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

etoreveyi
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by etoreveyi »

triedzi wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:07 pm
According to cricinfo, Eddie Byrom is in the team for today's match against Hampshire:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/county-cham ... 68555.html
Is this guy also gone the English route. If that is the case no need to follow him.

Googly

Post by Googly »

There are many of us who wish to. There are other posts for you to read.

pariah
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by pariah »

This Edward Byrom fellow seems to boss County 2d XI, getting centuries (which means he's top Logan Cup standard???)

This season in County Division One, he's had scores of 43+15, 9+40, 42, 5+10, 43+4, 38+10 and 42 in this current match, where he saw off Sam Curran quite nicely.

Cosidering this is Div 1, not Div 2, plus he's still just 20 and having to open in those conditions, it's quite a decent start.

23.15 average after 6 matches in a debut season won't make the England selectors sit up and notice for now, but a good season next time around might just get him into the English Lions.

Still if he considers Ballance(Yorkshire) and the Currans(Surrey, just like KP), he might want to revise those thoughts. With England a force in all formats right now, they are not exacty desperate to blood in foreigners. Not with the likes of Jennings and Malan being hopeless as it is. It's nic efor Tom in the LOI setup, but wait till he gets the Jade Dernbach kind of maulings.

Anyway, from what I can see from Byrom's scores, he can really absorb the pressure and see off the new ball, but fails to kick on after doing all the hard work. He either lacks the stamina to maintain concentration, or loses patience(youthful instinct?).

At just 20, this is the kind of guy ZC should pay and give a 2 year contract instead of Taylor. The Test team is in need of an opener.

For seamers surely ZC should look to import from SA, and forget Jarvis. I mean if the Middle East countries and european countries like Germany and Portucal can import long distance runners and sprinters from Africa, give them a house loads of money etc, the oversupply of raw pace in SA right now means ZC can at least get 10 of those teenagers on the cheap and they'll get 3 quality internationals from that lot in a year or two. The Proteas only have space for 3/4 in the squad at most.

But let's see how Byrom goes in the 2nd innings - http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/8052 ... -One-2017/

Googly

Post by Googly »

But he's already signed a 2 year deal at Somerset. He will play at least 40 games a season against some of the best players in the world, he won't be treated like a c#•t by people who should be planting sweet potatoes and he will be in a country that is not potentially on the brink of civil war. They will play their scheduled games on the day that was arranged the year before by people not intent on stealing every last cent that comes across their table like dying men in the desert, against teams that they've had a 200 year rivalry with, at grounds that are between 100-300 years old. Mmm... let me ask him and see what he says.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Who are you suggesting they import from SA? There's a few minor eligibility issues, but they shouldn't be a problem.

Googly

Post by Googly »

We can get your man Fojela a Zim ID and passport in a week. He sounds like a charming fellow, I'm sure he'll fit right in. I'm thinking Bhorat Mafikizolo will be a good alias.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

I agree with pariah that I would rather see Byrom coming back into the ZC fold than Taylor, simply because he is young as 15 years of international cricket ahead of him. Of course as he left Zimbabwe relatively young he probably feels less connection to the country than Taylor. I know from having emigrated to another country at 21 I feel less connected to my homeland than I would have had I stayed till 31.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes