[Discussion] Why there's no Tinotenda Mawayo in test squad ?

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: [Discussion] Why there's no Tinotenda Mawayo in test squad ?

Post by sloandog »

eugene wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:12 pm
Regardless of who is in charge, the Zimbabwean selectors never really get things right. I honestly think many on this forum would make better selectors than who we have had over the years. So many perplexing decisions, a lack of understanding of pitch conditions, game scenarios, etc. We have lived through scenarios like a non-batting or bowling Chigumbura occupying a spot in the team, the madness of Coventry being tried as an opener at the CWC, Matsi and Waller getting selected despite years of failure, Cremer being considered a test-only player, the list goes on.
I didn't mind the experimentation of Coventry opening the batting, it just failed, badly.
When we smoked Lee for a 6 and a 4 in that game against the Aussies I thought it was a great idea, until his lack of technique was badly exposed of course. Cremer as a test only bowler is comical; he was part of a tour to Pakistan in 2004 after the rebels left and never played; he had to literally wait 4 years for a debut. He was even part of the 2007 home seasons squads and was never picked. Amazing when you look at how far the guy's come.

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

eugene wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:12 pm
Regardless of who is in charge, the Zimbabwean selectors never really get things right. I honestly think many on this forum would make better selectors than who we have had over the years.
I think we should have had anusha in charge long ago...
sloandog wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:24 pm
I didn't mind the experimentation of Coventry opening the batting, it just failed, badly.
Agree. That wasn't the worst decision. Coventry did not come off in any of the outings making that decision look very bad. Flat pitches in the subcontinent. The idea was alright...

Kopje
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by Kopje »

brmtaylor.com admin wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:47 am
If Mawoyo was twice the size of Dwayne "The Earthshaker" Leverock I'd still have him open!
I spoke to him and copied some of the comments you guys posted. He has since lost 18kg and has been on program. He will be playing in the domestic with the view of playing national team, but really its up to the selectors. Although we really could have used him in Bangladesh in my opinion

Googly

Post by Googly »

He also commentates a lot and has his own academy thing going, although there’s not much coverage on how it’s panning out. Yeah he could/can play a bit for sure.
He’s a good guy as well.

Robbo

Post by Robbo »

His 163 not out vs Pakistan in 2011 was a superb effort. If I remember rightly, he carried his bat and was out there over 10 hours, against an attack that included Saeed Ajmal.
He has played several other good knocks as well. He's the best test opener we have had since coming back into the longer format in 2011. I'd like to see him playing in this series for sure.

Mr Twig

Post by Mr Twig »

Kopje wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:19 pm

I spoke to him and copied some of the comments you guys posted. He has since lost 18kg and has been on program. He will be playing in the domestic with the view of playing national team, but really its up to the selectors. Although we really could have used him in Bangladesh in my opinion
Great to hear. I'd rather him than Chari that's for sure.

He mentioned that on commentary recently so hopefully he can pile on the runs in the Logan Cup next month. God knows when our next Test will be though.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

I think what hurts him apart from his fitness is the fact he is strictly a Test player only, considering we only play 2 or 3 tests a year we seem to pick the same guys for all formats.

Looking back on the 4 Tests we’ve played since Tino last played we’ve tried Regis, Mire & Chamu opening with Hamilton. Just think what difference Tino might have made in the Sri Lanka Test where our top 3 barely scored a run.

#justicefortino
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

My point about the Coventry debacle is that you don't try something new like that at the CWC. A tournament is no place for experimentation like that, particular when it involves someone with questionable technique like Coventry. I have no idea what AC was thinking with that one.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

Does Tino really want it? If he does, then sure, stick him in.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

eugene wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:55 pm
My point about the Coventry debacle is that you don't try something new like that at the CWC. A tournament is no place for experimentation like that, particular when it involves someone with questionable technique like Coventry. I have no idea what AC was thinking with that one.
But off subject but I think they were planning on opening with Sean Ervine but he pulled out?

BT was the other opener that WC with Vusi & Hamilton being oringinally left out, even when Vusi was brought in he was deployed in the middle order.

But I agree with Eugene a World Cup isn’t for experimenting, although Zimbabwe always seems to be trying something different at the worst times
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement