Can Zimbabwe beat Sri Lanka in the test?

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
americanzimfan

Re: Can Zimbabwe beat Sri Lanka in the test?

Post by americanzimfan »

Really wish Solomon Mire was on the Test side.

ljriley90

Post by ljriley90 »

As a seamer who bats a little bit and is younger - whats the script with Neville Madziva?

His FC stats are good for Rhino's but doesn't seem like he's in the fold. Anyone got the low down? Is he quick enough?

Dr_Situ(ZimFanatic)
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Dr_Situ(ZimFanatic) »

Hami
Regis (wk)
Musakanda
Ervine
Raza
Williams
Waller
Moor
Cremer
Tiripano
Chatara
Zim Rules
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dr Satendra Singh, Delhi, India
Twitter: @drsitu

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

ljriley90 wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:39 pm
As a seamer who bats a little bit and is younger - whats the script with Neville Madziva?

His FC stats are good for Rhino's but doesn't seem like he's in the fold. Anyone got the low down? Is he quick enough?
Well I have to confess to being the number ticket holder of the Neville Madziva fan club but I definitely think he deserves to be in and around the side on merit. He's not lighting quick but quick enough and doesn't swing the ball a lot but he swings it more than any of the Zimbabwe bowlers apart from maybe Vitori. I think Tiripano probably has Madziva's spot in the side atm and I guess it's because Streak finds Donald more consistent than Neville. Neville is quicker & moves the ball more than Tiripano but Tiripano probably has more control and leaks less runs, whilst on the batting side Neville has more shots and is more destructive but Donald can really dig in and bat long.

I also think Madziva has suffered from the 'Streak Effect' where Heath seems to favour tall bowlers who can bowl it quicker more so than the smaller medium pacers. I feel Madziva is suffering the same fate that Tawanda Mupairwa faced when Streak arrived. Mupariwa had a excellent ODI record and was the quickest Zimbabwe bowler to 50 ODI wickets but Streak wanted to bring in big tall bowlers and killed off Mupariwa's career. Now Madziva's record isn't as remarkable as Mupariwa's was but 20 wickets in 12 matches @ 26 with a strike rate of 26 is pretty impressive. It's a small sample 12 matches but he's always done well when given the opportunity. He has also won us two unlikely victories with bat & ball against Bangladesh & India ......
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

ljriley90

Post by ljriley90 »

jaybro wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:55 pm
ljriley90 wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:39 pm

Well I have to confess to being the number ticket holder of the Neville Madziva fan club but I definitely think he deserves to be in and around the side on merit. He's not lighting quick but quick enough and doesn't swing the ball a lot but he swings it more than any of the Zimbabwe bowlers apart from maybe Vitori. I think Tiripano probably has Madziva's spot in the side atm and I guess it's because Streak finds Donald more consistent than Neville. Neville is quicker & moves the ball more than Tiripano but Tiripano probably has more control and leaks less runs, whilst on the batting side Neville has more shots and is more destructive but Donald can really dig in and bat long.

I also think Madziva has suffered from the 'Streak Effect' where Heath seems to favour tall bowlers who can bowl it quicker more so than the smaller medium pacers. I feel Madziva is suffering the same fate that Tawanda Mupairwa faced when Streak arrived. Mupariwa had a excellent ODI record and was the quickest Zimbabwe bowler to 50 ODI wickets but Streak wanted to bring in big tall bowlers and killed off Mupariwa's career. Now Madziva's record isn't as remarkable as Mupariwa's was but 20 wickets in 12 matches @ 26 with a strike rate of 26 is pretty impressive. It's a small sample 12 matches but he's always done well when given the opportunity. He has also won us two unlikely victories with bat & ball against Bangladesh & India ......
Cheers for the low down Jaybro. That sounds like a good appraisal in my view.

Quite interested in him as I saw him on one of the agency websites that he was looking for a UK club for 2017. After my team played the academy at the weekend any worries I had about Zimbabweans being able to do it at our league standard have gone.

Only worry for a club like ours is that if we go for a Zimbabwean pro there is a smaller pool of players so there's more chance they'd get called into the "A" and National Side. Selfishly we'd be looking at taking a good performer on the FC circuit who isn't in the national selectors plans....

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

Well Madziva is definitely in the 'A' side so you might lose him for a bit. The best thing about him is he's a great competitor.....
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement