Brendan Taylor ??

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Brendan Taylor ??

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

jaybro wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:21 pm
I would be very surprised if Streak & Taibu aren't already talking to him. Money is one thing but fixtures is another. I don't think BRMT wants to return to play 10 ODIs a year and same with all players. We really need to start touring India & Australia again, I'm sure BRMT got bored of sitting at home then touring Bangladesh once every 4 years .....
I think the lack of features thing is overrated if the players are being paid well.
Taylor left because he was hating life under mangongo. I wish I could dig my old post up during the Bangladesh series when Taylor was dropped and I told the forum that the look on his face was that of a smug 'you've lost me now' kind of look. Like a girlfriend who has mentally broken up with you but just waiting for the apartment leads to end the week after. I saw it in his face. I'm paid to look at psychology and body language.

This was confirmed in an interview he had with dean DP.

Besides, to assume lack of matches is terrible is misguided. I actually think a lot of guys would love the extended time off providing they all get their salaries paid and on time.

Ervine strikes me as the kind of guy who enjoys the time of doing all the Zimbabwean things like camping and drinking beer by the river and fishing. I could be wrong though.
Other players might like the family time!

Pay me 100k to play 20 games a year i would much prefer that over playing 45 personally !
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

It's the quality of the fixtures Dogg, touring Scotland & Holland would t sound real appealing but a tour to Australia or India would....
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

pariah
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by pariah »

Zimbabwean international cricekt fixtures aside - Taylor and Jarvis have three problems - ego, solidarity, and suitabilility.

EGO
Taylor has been restricted to List A, while Jarvis has been restricted to FC(dropped a number of times from FC too this season). So that meant a lot of 2nd XI cricket. Unless their Counties push them out, neither of them will want to leave the setup with a record of being one-trick ponies, with no prospect of getting another County contract, with Brexit etc looming.

SUITABILITY
Zimbabwe predominantly play ODIs, and are looking to add to their T20 matches. Jarvis was poor both those formats and he has been equally poor in England too. Which means he's still not good enough to be a frontline international bowler in either of those formats. So why return Zimbabwe?

SOLIDARITY
While Jarvis can just about walk into the Tests side and share the new ball with Chatara, Taylor would have to accomodated at the expense of a fellow white player. In Tests, Moor's abject keeping & batting has meant that both Regis and Mutumbami can no longer be ignored. So if Taylor returns, that may mean Moor is a 4th or even 5th option (if those Murrays and Gumbis and Saurambas have a good season like Mushangwe did). In ODIs the issue is simple becasue Taylor will be the keeper-batsman, but at whose expense, and where will he bat? Mire, Hami and Musakanda have nailed down their spots, while Raza is now the premier alrounder of the side. So two of 3 out of Craig, Waller, Williams, Moor, Burl will suffer as it would be a waste to bat Taylor lower than 4 in ODIs, and this stupid 8 batsman strategy would surely be stopped if Taylor is in the team. Waller, Moor and Burl the possible big casualties. Why would a Murray or whichever young white player return/stay if Moor and Burl are not even making the squads? So out of solidarity with his "brothers", Taylor may decide it's best not to return. I personally don't think any of those white players want Taylor back.

One thing is certain Theunis de Bruyn and Aiden Markram don't want AB de Villiers back.

Tom91

Post by Tom91 »

Pariah there are no quotas in the national squad. If Taylor comes back moor will get the chopped cos he ain't delivering. Also I wouldn't say Tari has nailed down his spot by any means. He's yet to score a hundred in his career so he's very lucky to be in the national squad. Out of Jarvis and Taylor I'd rather have Jarvis back cos we need help in the bowling department. The batting ticking along nicely at the moment without Taylor.
Last edited by Tom91 on Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

pariah wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:28 am

SOLIDARITY
While Jarvis can just about walk into the Tests side and share the new ball with Chatara, Taylor would have to accomodated at the expense of a fellow white player. In Tests, Moor's abject keeping & batting has meant that both Regis and Mutumbami can no longer be ignored. So if Taylor returns, that may mean Moor is a 4th or even 5th option (if those Murrays and Gumbis and Saurambas have a good season like Mushangwe did). In ODIs the issue is simple becasue Taylor will be the keeper-batsman, but at whose expense, and where will he bat? Mire, Hami and Musakanda have nailed down their spots, while Raza is now the premier alrounder of the side. So two of 3 out of Craig, Waller, Williams, Moor, Burl will suffer as it would be a waste to bat Taylor lower than 4 in ODIs, and this stupid 8 batsman strategy would surely be stopped if Taylor is in the team. Waller, Moor and Burl the possible big casualties. Why would a Murray or whichever young white player return/stay if Moor and Burl are not even making the squads? So out of solidarity with his "brothers", Taylor may decide it's best not to return. I personally don't think any of those white players want Taylor back.

One thing is certain Theunis de Bruyn and Aiden Markram don't want AB de Villiers back.
Classic hhm

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

If They were to both come back I think you would find us playing 7 batsmen instead of 8. Jarvis doesn't look as interested in our cause as Taylor is. For it's not a financial thing anymore and I'm sure all of these guys know this. I think we can offer them packages as good as their county contracts. To me it's the quality of the cricket we play and also the quality of the teams. The way we are playing now will give the likes of Jarvis Taylor and Sean Ervine that following county cricket will never give them, winning for your country..especially underdogs like Zimbabwe. it's everybody's dream as a child and they have to be somewhere watching the current test thinking that if they were out there they could have taken our total to 450 or cleaned up Sri Lanka's tail with some quality fast bowling. Watching losing causes all the time doesn't give you that feeling. So credit for the current players for doing their part.

Don't know why Sean Ervine doesn't want to come back.. that baffles me..

Black Mamba
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Black Mamba »

Better to groom under 19 players like Shaun Snyder, Ryan Murray, Kieran Robinson, Kyle Bowie, Brendan Diplock, Liam Rochi, Dean Mazhawidza then trying those county stars

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

TapsC wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:31 pm
If They were to both come back I think you would find us playing 7 batsmen instead of 8. Jarvis doesn't look as interested in our cause as Taylor is. For it's not a financial thing anymore and I'm sure all of these guys know this. I think we can offer them packages as good as their county contracts. To me it's the quality of the cricket we play and also the quality of the teams. The way we are playing now will give the likes of Jarvis Taylor and Sean Ervine that following county cricket will never give them, winning for your country..especially underdogs like Zimbabwe. it's everybody's dream as a child and they have to be somewhere watching the current test thinking that if they were out there they could have taken our total to 450 or cleaned up Sri Lanka's tail with some quality fast bowling. Watching losing causes all the time doesn't give you that feeling. So credit for the current players for doing their part.

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

TapsC wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:31 pm

My read;
Taylor - there for the taking
Jarvis - has England aspirations, could be tempted but would need a clear cost benefit attraction
S ervine - family settled in England. Would need slight above and beyond payment to come back. Would leave his family so if it happens it will be in 2108 towards 2019

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

watermelon

Post by watermelon »

pariah wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:28 am
Zimbabwean international cricekt fixtures aside - Taylor and Jarvis have three problems - ego, solidarity, and suitabilility.

EGO
Taylor has been restricted to List A, while Jarvis has been restricted to FC(dropped a number of times from FC too this season). So that meant a lot of 2nd XI cricket. Unless their Counties push them out, neither of them will want to leave the setup with a record of being one-trick ponies, with no prospect of getting another County contract, with Brexit etc looming.

SUITABILITY
Zimbabwe predominantly play ODIs, and are looking to add to their T20 matches. Jarvis was poor both those formats and he has been equally poor in England too. Which means he's still not good enough to be a frontline international bowler in either of those formats. So why return Zimbabwe?

SOLIDARITY

watermelon here,

A white player doesn't need to make way for Taylor. Blood was not spilled in the revolution to then have people impose quotas and go easy on us blacks. Too many lazy blacks out there wanting things handed to them or keen to make a quick buck - it always amazes me what great deals I make in my trading business, people willing to sell valuable stuff for a pittance because they don't know any better.

-watermelon.
<3 Jemisi rules <3