Full of praise for Zim Academy

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
ljriley90

Full of praise for Zim Academy

Post by ljriley90 »

*UPDATE STARTED THIS POST ON MONDAY ONLY JUST HAD TIME TO RETURN TO IT*

Afternoon forum - I suppose everyone is still fizzing about the victory v Sri Lanka but just an update regarding the Zim Rising Stars Academy.

I got in touch with their tour manager and arranged an exhibition match against my club. The format was to be 50 overs and my team was to include some guests from local clubs to bump up the quality. However, we had a few guests drop out so had to have a few of our second team players make up the numbers. On top of this the Academy's team bus got caught up behind some traffic on the way over from Liverpool to Manchester so game was reduced to 45 overs.

Stuart Matsikenyeri arrived ahead of the squad and I had a good chat with him about how things have gone so far etc. He said since they arrived the guys have really changed the areas they bowl compared to back in Zim and shot selection has changed a lot too. They are about halfway through a 60 game schedule currently. They are getting the guys off the training field and playing as much as possible. He said a typical week schedule looks like this.

Monday - rest day / review of the previous weeks games, talking about the different game situations that arose and how they handled them and what they might have thought about doing differently.
Tuesday - Morning fielding drills / afternoon Net session // extra specific skills coaching when no Thursday game
Wednesday - Midweek fixture in the T25 competition they are in
Thursday - Match against county / rep side // if no game specific skill drills
Friday - Match v rep side / club side usually t20
Saturday - rest day
Sunday - Match v Club / rep side (like what my club did yesterday)

As the academy guys were running late I asked Stuart if the academy side would like to take first bat - 1. so they weren't as rushing as much as if they were fielding and 2. I hoped they put on a big score for the crowd to watch! However, he said that the buy had full responsibility on the day and he wouldn't give the players and instructions so it would be up to the captain to make the decision on inspection of the wicket.

The bus arrived and the lads were soon in their playing kit and straight into a fielding drill lead by captain and keeper Tafadzwa Tsiga (massive for a keeper 6ft 2 easy) and they were sprinting laps round the pitch stretching off vigorously etc. Much more than what my side does on a Saturday and we put in a proper drill. Very impressive.

So we toss up, Tsiga calls right and the Zim lads put on 247-9 from their 45. We are missing a number of batters and end up 145 AO. I've attached the score cards and below will give a review of who did what well / badly IMO.

1. Kamunhukamwe - well built lad, hit the ball very hard. Looked destructive, but composed. Even though only got 24 impressed me enough to think he'd do a job as our overseas player. Bowled some pretty handy offies too - though it was bowling at the 2nd teamers so how well it would have been against top order not so sure.

2. Nunu - nothing much to say about his batting wasn't greatest - but his bowling was quality. Had great control, bowled at a pace where league cricketers become unstuck. Not much pace to work with so players had to leave the crease to nullify him. really impressed with his flight

3. Mupariwa - this guy has it. Struck the ball hard but was by just pure timing. Nicked some good singles too with quick running. Very good sweeper. Got done by a good delivery. If he bowled I would be recommending the club looked at signing him as our overseas.

4. Tsiga - thought his decisions as captain were good. Realised there wasn't much in the pitch for seamers and got his spinners on. Would have liked to have seen him persist with a slip with his spinners seeing as we were way behind rate but in front of the wicket / on boundary was a legitimate attacking field position in the circumstances. Batted patiently and ran hard then opened up later in his innings. He's about 6ft 4 though and dead skinny - looked totally the wrong shape for a keep but he had great hands.

5. Mashinge - batted ok but not called upon with the ball which was a shame

6. Mavuta - little cameo, bowled well. Didn't bowl any long hops good control and pace. Impressed.

7. Nyati - cameo with bat. Bowled with good pace, good bustling action. Quicker than Muzarabani. Well built. Bowled me out with one that jagged back in.

8.Nyamayaro - Batted well at the end.

9. Muzrabani - few lads bit wary of his height and rumours of his pace. Did bowl fast but didn't bowl short. Was nice pace to face if anything. Guess hed be a real handful in Zim. hes about 6ft 10/ 6ft 11.

10. Mugaria - the Zim lads said he was the quickest of the seamers but didn't bowl once Tsiga knew it was a spinners deck.

11. Ziwira - joeyed about.

I must say after the game the lads and Matsikenyeri and Nick Gordon were brilliant. Everyone split into groups and were chatting away about cricket in Zim, their tour so far in England, whats they've learnt etc etc. I had a really good chat with Mavuta and Nyati. Mavuta told me he travels 3 hours to play a FC game - I was impressed by his commitment. I spoke with Nyati and he was telling me after I hit him for a 4 he thought id be expecting the bouncer which I was so he went fuller again, playing the conditions. The guys all had their plans and were taking responsibility. In the field especially Mavuta said every time they get that ball in the field they will hit Tsiga's gloves to get into good habits. They were humble guys and genuinely seem honoured to be over here. A lot of them want to get back over for next season doing pro jobs, I dare say a couple of them could it to.

Mavuta tells me there's a directive right from the top to sweep spin. Be it reverse or orthodox - sweep is the weapon. Academy lads doing same

He also told me the idea is for this Academy is to play 5 first class games a season. It allows the young guys to get to 5 first class games in a year so they can then come over to uk and meet the visa requirements.

Matsikenyeri sat with our coaches for an hour talking methods and ideas.

Overall , please be proud of your guys out here.

I wasn't sure what we were going to be met with the academy side came to town but this a very professional outfit and they all seem decent lads to boot. Fingers crossed some of them get a proper gig in the established franchises.

dang8811

Re: Full of praise for Zim Academy

Post by dang8811 »

Very interesting. Thanks for posting.

foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by foreignfield »

dang8811 wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:48 pm
Very interesting. Thanks for posting.
+ 1

Thanks!

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

Thanks mate, great to have some up close news

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Great to have news from someone on the ground.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

pariah
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by pariah »

Very nice. Haven't heard of about 5 of those guys though.

Robbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by Robbo »

Great report!! I play in the Thames Valley league in England down south, and have played against several zimbabweans who were over here as overseas players, some of whom have played f-c back in zim, and agree that they are decent, down to earth lads, always willing to have a chat after the game. It's a part of Zimbabwe cricket that not everyone sees or is aware off, but they are a credit to their country. Full marks to Taibu for getting this tour up an running.

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Great stuff ijriley90. Thanks for sharing this.