Best ZImbabwe Test Centuries since Test resumption.

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
pariah
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Re: Best ZImbabwe Test Centuries since Test resumption.

Post by pariah »

eugene wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:08 pm
You are no better than the Zim selectors - putting all the black guys at the top of the order.
:lol: I missed this comment... :lol:

pariah

Post by pariah »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:32 am
Ervine and Raza from this match would be near the top of the list with only Taylor's knock vs NZ being comparable.
Ervine could go higher, purely because it's the only thing that put Zimbabwe in this match, and it's far more valuable than Cremer's efforts in my view.

The Zim tailenders put Raza's one into context. And the ease with which every SL batsman has batted as well only adds to that.

If you recall, that NZ attack posed no threat with zero assistance from the pitch. Ross Taylor should have had egg in his face for declaring early. I never rated that NZ attack, so I can't rate BT's knock for that reason - many guys here rememebered my view even back then. There was no pressure on all Zim batsmen - Vusi, Mawoyo and Hami all came out playing their shots. Mawoyo was also sensational and was the key for Taylor to continue playing that very risky cricket. Taibu came in with a strategy to hand the strike to Taylor - which made no sense. But if you remember how easily Taibu opened up later, he was now batting at an even higher strike rate than Taylor and looking the much better batsman. Malcolm Waller sums it up because he coasted from ball one. Everyone then came out playing their shots and almost getting away with it. Had Taibu not played cautious cricket, Zimbabwe would have won that match. If Mawoyo hadn't thrown his wicket away I wonder if he would have even gotten out that day. Zim should have won easily with wickets to spare. All of these points were discussed by the commentators.

My theory was the powers that be wanted Ross Taylor to lose on his first Test match as captain. Gave him a raw attack with an unfit and ageing Vettori + Martin, then whispered into his ear to declare early. There was a catch off Brendan Taylor which should have been out, most said it was out, but after TV replays somehow decided not out and Taylor carried on batting. My memory is sketchy, but like Taylor catch, a lot of the decisions went againt NZ too - e.g. Williamson lbw. I can't wait for Ross Taylor's book because he'll have a lot to say about that game. Everyone kept overrruling him with his field placings during Zimbabwe's chase and their field presented shockingly easy runs. To me that was a chaotic Test match.

pariah

Post by pariah »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:32 am
Hamilton's 75 vs PAK was also a top knock, but was the pitch unplayable or was it just two poor batting teams struggling on a usually sporting HSC track?
That was easily a seamers' pitch and the results showed.

Chatara and Vitori are good but it takes some assistance form th epitch to get fifers against a team that had Ali, Younis and Misbah.

Tinashe Panyangara bowled 22 overs at 1.95rpo including 9 maidens in PAK's first innings. That's impossible, but understandable because he's Panyangara. but for Chatara to also bowl 27 overs and got at 1.66 including 10 maidens??? :o

Surely you have to admit that the pitch was unplayable! 40 wickets fell, only two of which were run-outs. 32 wickets were caught by keeper or at slip!

http://www.espncricinfo.com/zimbabwe-v- ... 70923.html
Junaid Khan's opening spell in the second Test was described as "one of the best I have faced," by Zimbabwe's No.3 Hamilton Masakadza, who top-scored with 75 on the first day. Masakadza began his innings after only two deliveries had been bowled and faced 19 balls in Junaid's first seven overs. He said that spell had made tricky batting conditions more difficult.
http://www.espncricinfo.com/zimbabwe-v- ... 70699.html
Zimbabwe were hampered at the start of their second innings, the ill Vusi Sibanda unable to open. The offspinner Prosper Utseya, who usually bats at No. 8, was promoted instead, but did not last long. Mawoyo and Masakadza, though, hung in to get through the 14 overs till tea. The often unplayable zip and movement Junaid Khan had generated in the first innings was absent, and that allowed the duo to settle in. Both drove well off the front foot, especially against the spinners.

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement