10 years of ZCF

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: 10 years of ZCF

Post by jaybro »

Wow Tajikistan !!! The ZCF World XI would have a very diverse look to it ......
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Jemisi wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:26 am
Even if my workmanlike production of runs in the middle order and ability to out-think opposition hitters is overlooked, I am still getting on the bus to make sure the scorecards are in order.
No one in the entire selection pool has shown the character that you have. After being given out wrongly by the umpires in the first dig, to come back so strongly in the second innings. That alone should work :)
grant wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:30 am
@CrimsonAvenger - I am from Tajikistan That was way too much optimism for a team that doesn't even play in the World Cricket League.....
I remember that conversation! Let us hope Tajikistan makes it to the WCL soon and surges up from there, Afghan style...

foreignfield

Post by foreignfield »

Jemisi wrote:
Even if my workmanlike production of runs in the middle order and ability to out-think opposition hitters is overlooked, I am still getting on the bus to make sure the scorecards are in order.
:D

foreignfield

Post by foreignfield »

grant wrote:
@CrimsonAvenger - I am from Tajikistan :D That was way too much optimism for a team that doesn't even play in the World Cricket League.....
Are there any Tadjiks in the Afghan side? Or is Afghan cricket still mainly a Pashtun thing?

grant

Post by grant »

foreignfield wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:28 am
grant wrote:
@CrimsonAvenger - I am from Tajikistan :D That was way too much optimism for a team that doesn't even play in the World Cricket League.....
Are there any Tadjiks in the Afghan side? Or is Afghan cricket still mainly a Pashtun thing?
None that I know of. Most of the players (perhaps all) are Pashtuns and come from the eastern part of Afghanistan. This is true even for their domestic competition, I could be wrong though. I think that's just because cricket was never played in Afghanistan to begin with. Most of them learned the game in the refugee camps of Pakistan and it was only the Pashtuns who fled to Pakistan during the Soviet invasion. Non-Pashtuns sought refuge in Iran and other Central Asian countries.

foreignfield

Post by foreignfield »

grant wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:06 am
foreignfield wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:28 am
grant wrote:
None that I know of. Most of the players (perhaps all) are Pashtuns and come from the eastern part of Afghanistan. This is true even for their domestic competition, I could be wrong though. I think that's just because cricket was never played in Afghanistan to begin with. Most of them learned the game in the refugee camps of Pakistan and it was only the Pashtuns who fled to Pakistan during the Soviet invasion. Non-Pashtuns sought refuge in Iran and other Central Asian countries.
Thanks. It will be interesting to see whether cricket can extend beyond the ethnic borders in Afghanistan in the longer run.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Has anyone heard of cricket in Tajikistan?
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:49 am
Jemisi wrote:
No one in the entire selection pool has shown the character that you have. After being given out wrongly by the umpires in the first dig, to come back so strongly in the second innings. That alone should work :)
grant wrote:
@CrimsonAvenger - I am from Tajikistan That was way too much optimism for a team that doesn't even play in the World Cricket League.....
I remember that conversation! Let us hope Tajikistan makes it to the WCL soon and surges up from there, Afghan style...
Thanks mate

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

grant wrote:
I've been here for around three years now, and this has been a fantastic place! The Zimbabwean team is the reason I started following cricket so ardently....
I've never quite been close to selection for the ZCF XI, but I'll keep putting in the hard yards and hopefully make the cut some day :D
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7084&start=10#p74384
are you an ethnic Tajik?

that would explain why your avatar is of Hamid since Afghanistan is the closest country to you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

grant

Post by grant »

eugene wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:38 pm
Has anyone heard of cricket in Tajikistan?
Pretty unheard of, I think. I came to know about it only when I visited India for the first time, some ten years ago.
That said, there are 14 registered clubs and 12 schools that play cricket currently. And there's two women's teams too.
We toured Afghanistan some three years ago or so (after being newly admitted into the ACC) and didn't do badly either, even if our team included a former Afghanistan player.