Taylor, Jarvis set to return, talks with Ervine underprocess

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Taylor, Jarvis set to return, talks with Ervine underprocess

Post by jaybro »

I don't see you complaining about the special treatment for Solomon Mire? Zimbabwe are clearly trying to bring back as many of their best players as possible, Streak identified Mire, BRMT, KJ & Ervine as guys he wanted to bring back for the WC. It seems these guys have been offered special deals to return as I said before that doesn't sit well with me but Mire was comfortable living in oz whilst the other 3 have county deals to sacrifice.

I feel for the guys who might lose their places but if they were really doing a good job they wouldn't lose their place! Mire has given us a new dimension at the top of the order, we desperately need a solid keeper batsman like BRMT, we need someone to take the new ball with Larry and well Sean Ervine can give us depth in the middle order although I'm with Sloan of the 3 he's the one I'm that fussed about even though he's my favourite Zimbabwe cricketer of all time ......
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

pariah
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by pariah »

jaybro wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:48 pm
More tripe .....

Statistically Vusi sucks, it's all on potential he never delivered......
That for me is the sad and great catastrophe of ZCF.

Raza was poor for so long. Same applied to Malcolm several times. Williams has been going through a rot with the bat and also struggled at times in domestic cricket.

Vusi and Elton have never gone through such poor spells with the bat, especially against useless minnows. In fact, Vusi's last spells in ODIs and T20s were decent but he was dropped nonetheless. Elton has done things with the bat against world class attacks that Raza, Williams and Malcolm can only dream of.

So what ZCF is good at times is disliking a player for past reasons or whatever other reason, then forget that these senior are all about the same age, and some still have more significant highs yhan others.

ALL of them are unfulfilled potential.

It makes absolutely no sense for someone to completely argue that a none bowling Malcolm Waller is a better Test and ODI batsman than Vusi at number 4/5. Even Ervine has a very poor T20 Strike Rates compared to Vusi but people don't realise that simply because of perception not facts. There is no Test seamer better than Panyangara in Zimbabwe but no one can say why Streak picks Mpofu over him.

This is also why Streak turned Zimbabwe into a joke ridiculed on Cricinfo commentary because he reasoned that Williams, Raza and Malcolm were Test bowlers and ignored Mushangwe.

These kinds of things must come to an end if Zimbabwe is to develop with harmony and unity. I mean Hamilton Masakadza was dropped for less. Certain players were passengers whole Zimbabwe was being embarrassed by minnows. Where's the fairness?

In the end Zimbabwe suffers.

pariah

Post by pariah »

jaybro wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:21 pm
I don't see you complaining about the special treatment for Solomon Mire?
Mire was not given a multi-year contract, plus he he had already shown promise when he played for Zim before, partly at his expense.

Lastly when seniors like Hami, Vusi and Chibhabha are forced to bat either where they don't want or hsve statistically failed totally, do you honestly think Mire stood a chance? He was instructed that he will open! If or when Taylor and Sean Ervine come, they will say where they want to bat.

I commend Elton Chigumbura because as captain he batted himself where he wanted to bat and proved that his was better. And when he wasn't captain he made it clear that he wants to continue batting in the top 5. Streak doesn't want him because he's not afraid to speak his mind unlike Hami & Regis & Chamu.

Recall when Vusi said he wanted to bat in the middle that time, he was selected for one match the dropped after a low score just to spite him?

So no Mire got no special treatment. Only a raw deal. And if he fails opening they'll just drop him ' not pkay him lower, pick Chamu to open, and slot Nathan Waller in the middle.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Mire has been opening in Australia for past few seasons, please get your facts right before posting its very misleading ......

Also I never said Malcolm is statistically good ? Please refer to the post where I said this ? Your post saying this side should be picked on merit & stats was incorrect as Vusi has mediocre stats. If you were to say 'I'd have Vusi in the side because I feel him batting in the middle order would be better suited for him' that would be reasonable. Bit of a tip for you instead of trying to force your opinions down our throats with rubbish conspiracies or misleading stats why don't you try saying 'In my opinion I would do this'

You might find people won't hate on you so much ......

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Mire was given special treatment he was brought into the side without playing any domestic cricket twice !!! Once for the World Cup which he ditched us straight after and then again before the Afghanistan series. I'm not complaining as I'd rather have him than not but you say it's in fair for Musakanda or Madziva to lose their spot to BRMT or KJ but what about Chamu? He lost his spot in the side when Mire came back.

Double standards from you ....

eugene

Post by eugene »

Nobody got a longer run in the side than Vusi. He played 127 ODIs for Zimbabwe over a 13-year period, and averaged an average 24.54. Batting in the middle order it gets even worse with an average of 19.27.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

If Streak can work his magic on just one of Taylor or Jarvis, then ZC will be in a better place for it. Both being an invaluable amount; Jarvis with the ball and BRM to solidify the middle order even more. Brendan seems extremely patriotic and even after the 15' CWC suggested he would possibly return. I'm hoping he's a dead cert to return, with Kyle Jarvis an added bonus.

For me, a 34 year old Sean Ervine is simply blocking a younger prospect like Nathan Waller, Wellington Mazakadza, Mashinge or even a wild card like James Bruce. The latter is well and truly a wild card but, having Ervine there for (let's face it) 2 years max, isn't going to help the side in the long run, only hinder the development of our up and coming youngsters. If we were in the same position 4/5 years ago, then I'd have bitten his hand off and thrown him what ever money he wanted! But now, with some genuinely exciting youngsters being either included in the squads (Nathan Waller) or actually being given opportunities (Burl, Musakanda) I don't really see the value of his inclusion. Just my opinion, I won't be ramming it home like some people..

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

the article seemed pretty sure both taylor and jarvis were coming back...would be awesome!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

Flakeman

Post by Flakeman »

Imagine having this bowling line up every ODI?

Chatara
Jarvis
Cremer
Chisoro
Raza/Williams

Im telling you, big things would happen.

tawac
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by tawac »

Flakeman wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:57 am
Imagine having this bowling line up every ODI?

Chatara
Jarvis
Cremer
Chisoro
Raza/Williams

Im telling you, big things would happen.
Where is Chisoro? He must have left early in the year too. That would be a great lineup for all formats. And definitely having the likes of Panyangarara, Wasakadza, Mumba and so forth in the wings is a great thing. ZC should look to have an A side so we can see how the upcoming players fare at a level just below the full internationals.
CHRISTOPHER MPOFU: 'The problem was fear of failure. I used to think that when I played, if I didn't do well in one game, I would lose my place for the next one but now I've let go of that'