Taylor, Jarvis set to return, talks with Ervine underprocess

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
etoreveyi
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Taylor, Jarvis set to return, talks with Ervine underprocess

Post by etoreveyi »

tawac wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:08 am
Flakeman wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:57 am
Imagine having this bowling line up every ODI?

Chatara
Jarvis
Cremer
Chisoro
Raza/Williams

Im telling you, big things would happen.
Where is Chisoro? He must have left early in the year too. That would be a great lineup for all formats. And definitely having the likes of Panyangarara, Wasakadza, Mumba and so forth in the wings is a great thing. ZC should look to have an A side so we can see how the upcoming players fare at a level just below the full internationals.

Chisoro has some issues with the administrators. I heard he exchanged harsh words with them and even used the f word. So for the mean time don't expect him to be near the national team colours.

pariah
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by pariah »

Code: Select all

ODIs Since 1 January 2016:
PLAYER		MAT	RUN	AVG
Hami		16	593	37.06
Raza		18	452 	37.66
Craig		18	402	26.80
MW		14	299	24.91
Moor		19	291	17.11
Sean		14	272	20.92
Tari		09	229	28.62
Burl		07	116	19.33
Vusi		03	096	32.00

T20Is Since 1 January 2016:
PLAYER		MAT	RUN	AVG	SR
Hami		12	411	37.36	137.45
MW		12	277	25.18	127.06
Vusi		08	219	27.37	111.73
Elton		10	154	22.00	126.22
Moor		08	120	24.00	111.11
Sean		06	119	19.83	123.95
Raza		10	083	08.30	089.00
As poor as Sean Williams has been with the bat in ODIs, his impotent bowling has somehow kept him in the side. But on top of his batting, his T20 bowling does not help merit his selection.

Malcolm Waller has not bowled in a T20 in this period.

I don't have the figures anymore, but no one can deny that in FC (Domestic, Zim A, Zim XI, Zim Pres XI etc) Vusi Sibanda is easily Zimbabwe's best run scorer batting at #4 and #5. Somehow you believe his one innings in the middle order - at number 6 in Test when he scored 10 - is enough to decide if he can bat there or not. I've been following cricket for many years but apart from Alviro, I can think of no other top FC player who has been blocked from batting in the middle order in internationals like Vusi, and those of you follow County cricket can tell us just how much of a beast Alviro has been there. Hami is next to Vusi(and ahead of Matsi, Taylor and Vermeulen, but that's because Taylor and Vermeulen opened a lot), but like Vermeulen, Hami batted maybe 50% of his innings at number 3 too. Anyway, Vusi is like Australia picking Voges and making him open in Tests!

But once again facts say Hami averages 11 opening in 9 Tests. He averages 36 batting at number 3 in 19 Tests (and 30 at number 4 in 7 Tests).

Craig Ervine averages 53 at number 3 in 6 Tests(thanks to that recent 160, but awful overall prior to that), while Sean Williams averages 25 at 5 in 5 Tests (and 24 at number 6 in 3 Tests).

Malcolm Waller averages 21 at number 6 in 6 Tests.

Of course Raza hadn’t played many Tests, but he opened in 3 Tests and scored 3 fifties in 5 innings to average 44. That’s a big sign!

Lastly Regis Chakabva averages 36 at number 7 in 5 Tests (and 60 at number 5 in 3 Tests).

Facts dictate that Hami should bat 3, Regis 7. So why were they opening? What is the basis for coaches or fans "feeling" Hami will do better opening in Tests?

So Jaybro, facts are not subject to opinion, neither can they be shoved down anyone’s throat. They’re just indisputably out there, and there to be applied logically or illogically. They don’t amount to a balance of probabilities, but are pretty much beyond reasonable doubt.

Misbah ul Haq for years dominated FC in Pakistan. Highly educated and independent thinker. He was initially picked and forced to open or bat at 3 and failed then dropped. He didn’t want to bat there. He was eventually picked - and perhaps deliberately - allowed to bat in his number 5 position but struggled in a couple of Tests – which was to be expected against that Australia side, and was swiftly dropped. Even if there were vacancies in the top order for Pakistan he was not interested. 5 or 6 years later Pakistan had to pick him again when he was 34-35 yrs old, in his middle order position, the rest is history.

pariah

Post by pariah »

etoreveyi wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:10 am
Chisoro has some issues with the administrators. I heard he exchanged harsh words with them and even used the f word. So for the mean time don't expect him to be near the national team colours.
Jongwe has also said and done some things.

But this is 2017 and a Brendan Taylor who also had some choice words for administrators and coaches, is being coaxed back, while Williams has never exactly been punished for several of his misdemeanors but guys here threw their toys out of the cot everytime he was threatened with punishment. Heck Mark Vermeulen played a Test after arson and insulting the president!

If some Cricinfo editors got wind of the same thing that's happening to Chisoro about certain Zim players - no doubt via Liam, I can assure you Firdose would've been instructed to write an article on it in Cricinfo, and Chisoro would be selected in the next Series. Depends on who you know. Especially if they are Sports Ministers or former Sports Ministers with "esteemed Human Rights" records.

jimbo

Post by jimbo »

pariah wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:40 am
[quote=etoreveyi post_id=107654 time=<a href="tel:1500549055">1500549055</a> user_id=778]Chisoro has some issues with the administrators. I heard he exchanged harsh words with them and even used the f word. So for the mean time don't expect him to be near the national team colours.
Jongwe has also said and done some things.

But this is 2017 and a Brendan Taylor who also had some choice words for administrators and coaches, is being coaxed back, while Williams has never exactly been punished for several of his misdemeanors but guys here threw their toys out of the cot everytime he was threatened with punishment. Heck Mark Vermeulen played a Test after arson and insulting the president!

If some Cricinfo editors got wind of the same thing that's happening to Chisoro about certain Zim players - no doubt via Liam, I can assure you Firdose would've been instructed to write an article on it in Cricinfo, and Chisoro would be selected in the next Series. Depends on who you know. Especially if they are Sports Ministers or former Sports Ministers with "esteemed Human Rights" records.
[/quote]

That's a hell of an accusation there

tawac
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by tawac »

Arent Players selected on current form. Someone pulls historical stats, to what end? I think only Raza had the worst form going into the just ended tour the rest did well leading up to the tour. Vusi and Elty were very ordinary.Hasnt Vusi pretty much retired from international cricket. An in form Chigumbura would be priceless.
CHRISTOPHER MPOFU: 'The problem was fear of failure. I used to think that when I played, if I didn't do well in one game, I would lose my place for the next one but now I've let go of that'

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

It would be terrific if Taylor and Jarvis returned!

The only irk I have, and I'll get over it... is that Taylor's retirement from ODI's has to be the best exit ever. I doubt there's ever been a more carefree, swashbuckling innings in someone's last international match. Pretty hard to top that knock against India.

Flakeman

Post by Flakeman »

One of the best innings ive ever seen from any batsman ever.

eugene

Post by eugene »

I wonder if pariah realises that not everyone can bat in the middle order? Someone has to open surely? Sibanda is nowhere near the level of Brendan Taylor, at any position in the order. Sibanda is more of a glorified Matsi.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

pariah wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:29 am

ODIs Since 1 January 2016:
PLAYER		MAT	RUN	AVG
Hami		16	593	37.06
Raza		18	452 	37.66
Craig		18	402	26.80
MW		14	299	24.91
Moor		19	291	17.11
Sean		14	272	20.92
Tari		09	229	28.62
Burl		07	116	19.33
Vusi		03	096	32.00

T20Is Since 1 January 2016:
PLAYER		MAT	RUN	AVG	SR
Hami		12	411	37.36	137.45
MW		12	277	25.18	127.06
Vusi		08	219	27.37	111.73
Elton		10	154	22.00	126.22
Moor		08	120	24.00	111.11
Sean		06	119	19.83	123.95
Raza		10	083	08.30	089.00
As poor as Sean Williams has been with the bat in ODIs, his impotent bowling has somehow kept him in the side. But on top of his batting, his T20 bowling does not help merit his selection.

Malcolm Waller has not bowled in a T20 in this period.

I don't have the figures anymore, but no one can deny that in FC (Domestic, Zim A, Zim XI, Zim Pres XI etc) Vusi Sibanda is easily Zimbabwe's best run scorer batting at #4 and #5. Somehow you believe his one innings in the middle order - at number 6 in Test when he scored 10 - is enough to decide if he can bat there or not. I've been following cricket for many years but apart from Alviro, I can think of no other top FC player who has been blocked from batting in the middle order in internationals like Vusi, and those of you follow County cricket can tell us just how much of a beast Alviro has been there. Hami is next to Vusi(and ahead of Matsi, Taylor and Vermeulen, but that's because Taylor and Vermeulen opened a lot), but like Vermeulen, Hami batted maybe 50% of his innings at number 3 too. Anyway, Vusi is like Australia picking Voges and making him open in Tests!

But once again facts say Hami averages 11 opening in 9 Tests. He averages 36 batting at number 3 in 19 Tests (and 30 at number 4 in 7 Tests).

Craig Ervine averages 53 at number 3 in 6 Tests(thanks to that recent 160, but awful overall prior to that), while Sean Williams averages 25 at 5 in 5 Tests (and 24 at number 6 in 3 Tests).

Malcolm Waller averages 21 at number 6 in 6 Tests.

Of course Raza hadn’t played many Tests, but he opened in 3 Tests and scored 3 fifties in 5 innings to average 44. That’s a big sign!

Lastly Regis Chakabva averages 36 at number 7 in 5 Tests (and 60 at number 5 in 3 Tests).

Facts dictate that Hami should bat 3, Regis 7. So why were they opening? What is the basis for coaches or fans "feeling" Hami will do better opening in Tests?

So Jaybro, facts are not subject to opinion, neither can they be shoved down anyone’s throat. They’re just indisputably out there, and there to be applied logically or illogically. They don’t amount to a balance of probabilities, but are pretty much beyond reasonable doubt.

Misbah ul Haq for years dominated FC in Pakistan. Highly educated and independent thinker. He was initially picked and forced to open or bat at 3 and failed then dropped. He didn’t want to bat there. He was eventually picked - and perhaps deliberately - allowed to bat in his number 5 position but struggled in a couple of Tests – which was to be expected against that Australia side, and was swiftly dropped. Even if there were vacancies in the top order for Pakistan he was not interested. 5 or 6 years later Pakistan had to pick him again when he was 34-35 yrs old, in his middle order position, the rest is history.

Correction Ervine has never batted @3 in a test match all his runs have come @4. Also he had scored 1 century & 3 50's in his last 4 tests prior to his 160 ......

Also not sure what format your talking about test or Odis or t20's? You have tables for ODI's & t20's then start talking about test matches .....

Sean Williams form since the WC hasn't been up to his normal standards which is concerning but he's still usually good for 1 fifty a series and gets through a lot of overs. Also he still has an incredible record of scoring a 50 once every 2.9 innings. Only Andy Flower has a better ratio for Zimbabwe. In tears well he scored that century against NZ last year and another 50 against Lanka plus again he bowls a lot so I guess that's why he's still in the side.

Please stop misleading the forum with your rubbish ......
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

Its better to try and bring back Malcolm Lake, then Sean Ervine. Malcolm Lake is a usefull allrounder, brilliant hitter and a seam bowler.