Jongwe?

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Jongwe?

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Gents,
My friend is in serious talks to bring Luke Jongwe to oz as a paid professional (to replace Brandon Diplock who bailed on us).

Luke's dead keen and in the final stages of negotiations, literally a done deal bar a visa issue.

My question to the forum and the guys on the ground like Gargamel, is what happened to the bloke?

Three years ago he was the darling of ZC, I recall in no detail whatsoever some behaviour issues... can someone clarify?

Interestingly, chakabva has expressed interest in following.

Bear in mind my friend doesn't give two hoots about ZC so these names pique my interest whereas he just sees fringe internationals ...
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

sloandog

Re: Jongwe?

Post by sloandog »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:30 pm
Gents,
My friend is in serious talks to bring Luke Jongwe to oz as a paid professional (to replace Brandon Diplock who bailed on us).

Luke's dead keen and in the final stages of negotiations, literally a done deal bar a visa issue.

My question to the forum and the guys on the ground like Gargamel, is what happened to the bloke?

Three years ago he was the darling of ZC, I recall in no detail whatsoever some behaviour issues... can someone clarify?

Bear in mind my friend doesn't give two hoots about ZC so these names pique my interest whereas he just sees fringe internationals ...
Why did Diplock bail?

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Better offer from somewhere in Melbourne I think. Not sure h will prefer Melb nightclubs over Sydney beaches but each to their own and best of luck to him!
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Seemed to be the next big thing in Zimbabwe cricket, didn't he get dropped for behaviour once or twice??

Might be a good thing for him to spend some time in Oz, it's certainly worked for Mire .....
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

Ari kunwa hwahwa, ndinofunga. Just keep an eye on him so he doesn't appear on the next season of RBT.

GregorPJ
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by GregorPJ »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Gents,

I'm positive there were stories going around that he had serious issues with alcohol abuse.

He was also in a car crash at some point and was the drunk driver.

He is currently playing cricket in Cornwall, England and seems to be loving it though. Hopefully he can fulfill his potential.

pariah
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by pariah »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
By Vermeulen-Williams behaviour standards; as well as fitness Tests failures(Taylor-Mawoyo) under respected figures like Butcher, and the work ethic of guys like Grant Flower; plus certain courted figures causing global headlines and international embarassment by waking up in strangers' cars after a drunken stupor - discipline simply has no bearing in Zimbabwe cricket, so cannot be used as an excuse in any discussion!

Jongwe is a victim of bias or non-favourable selection. Period!!! The boy was excellent in the recently ended Logan Cup, plus he bowls faster than Mpofu, Nathan Waller and Tiripano, as well as being a vastly superior batting talent to all of them and has much bigger potential. Still only 22 years old - has two big FC hundreds and 5 Fifities(inlcuding three fifers and 3 fourfers), an ODI fifer (including a 30avg, 34SR and a 5.27 economy). Simply put - if he was South African he would be a Protea and be included in the Test, ODI and T20 XIs/Squads just like Phehlukwayo!!! Even Firdose would be writing article after article of him on Cricinfo.

Zimdoggy, he shouldn't only be the darling of ZC, he should be the darling of every Zimbabwean cricket fan don't you think? There are several players with zero pedigree at competitive levels, who can only dream of such stats but are highly talked up on ZCF and named ODI/T20/Test XI candidates week-in, week-out after delivering much much much less.

All things being equal, Jongwe leaving Zimbabwe to go and play backyard cricket in Australia - if it happens, should really be considered the saddest thing to happen to Zimbabwe Cricket as far as departures go. It's a pity most aren't inclined to view it that way in these parts.

NB: When are they renaming the Logan Cup to something else anyway. Long overdue.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

I doubt anyone would want to exclude Jongwe because he's a lead foot. I like the fact that ZC isn't precious about such things - you weigh 100kg? Open the batting. You burned down the clubhouses? Have another Test cap. Failed a fitness test? Just don't let it affect your batting average.

In Australia sport is no longer fun, it's too professional and politically correct. In the AFL last week a few players got rubbed out because they dared to have a drink just 6 days ahead of the next match.

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

Jongwe will get another shot Hhm.

Ming
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by Ming »

brmtaylor.com admin wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:39 am
...In Australia sport is no longer fun, it's too professional and politically correct. In the AFL last week a few players got rubbed out because they dared to have a drink just 6 days ahead of the next match.
So maybe it's just a detox session for Jongwe, and he'll come back bigger, better and stronger. Pamberi ne Jongwe! :lol: :lol:
Peterhouse U14C 4th change bowler and no. 10 batsman (but only because Aaron didn't have a bat).