Zimbabwe A vs South Africa Emerging: Series Thread

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
TapsC

Re: Zimbabwe A vs South Africa Emerging: Series Thread

Post by TapsC »

I like Panyangara. Him and Chatara have some amazing stats when it comes to the first 10 overs of an ODI. I think they are up there with the very best in the world on that economy stat.. will never forget how close he was to getting Gayle out for 0 I think on the review before he went on to score that 200.

Something just tells me that Streak prefers Mpofu and I can't see both of them playing in the same team.
Last edited by TapsC on Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Conant
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Conant »

TapsC wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:25 am
I like Panyangara. Him and Chatara have some amazaing stats when it comes to the first 10 overs of an ODI. I think they are up there with the very best in the world on that economy stat.. will never forget how close he was to getting Gayle out for 0 I think on the review before he went on to score that 200.

Something just tells me that Streak prefers Mpofu and I can't see both of them playing in the same team.
I don't know how any sane coach can would prefer any bowler let alone Chris Mpofu ahead of Panyangara. That would be incompetence at best, the kinds we only saw under the last convenor of selectors Givemore Makoni.

The mistake coaching staff previously made was reserving two overs for Tinashe at the dearth, when he had been bowling at 3 an over for his first 8 overs!

Mpofu does provide some value above others in T20s for his ability to bowl at the dearth but other than that, like hhm said, a fit Panyangara all the way. Africa or Asia.

jimbo

Post by jimbo »

A test attack of blessing muzarabani ngarava and Kyle Jarvis is one I would salivate over.
These guys are the future and for the first two will continue to get better and better

foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by foreignfield »

As so often it would be nice to get some sort of official news on the Panyangara situation: Yes, he was injured last year, and yes there have been issues concerning his fitness/attitude etc., but he played enough franchise cricket this year to suggest he's sort of match fit--if he didn't get injured again (can't remember anything, he was playing for the Rhinos shortly before the European tour).

Discarded, dropped for fitness issues, benched because Streaky doesn't fancy him, sidelined because Tiripano bowled slightly better in the A team series against Namibia, or left behind when the team bus embarked from KFC? Who knows?

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

:lol:

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

Tinashe is a very average ODI bowler has 65 wickets from 65 games at nearly 47 going at over 5 and a half an over. I don't understand why people carry on like he's the second coming of Heath Streak :lol:
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

pariah

Post by pariah »

TapsC wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:25 am
I like Panyangara. Him and Chatara have some amazaing stats when it comes to the first 10 overs of an ODI. I think they are up there with the very best in the world on that economy stat.
Conant wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:05 am
The mistake coaching staff previously made was reserving two overs for Tinashe at the dearth, when he had been bowling at 3 an over for his first 8 overs!
Mpofu does provide some value above others in T20s for his ability to bowl at the dearth but other than that, like hhm said, a fit Panyangara all the way. Africa or Asia.
foreignfield wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:02 am
...he played enough franchise cricket this year to suggest he's sort of match fit--if he didn't get injured again (can't remember anything, he was playing for the Rhinos shortly before the European tour).
That's why I was furious at his exclusion for such conditions.

I said it then and I'll say it again, SCO and NED wouldn't have batted out their overs if Panyangara was on that tour. He would've ripped through them. I can't imagine ZImbabwe conceding over 200 against ZIM with Chatara and Panyangara bowling to them in those conditions. Perhaps in a T20 where dynamics are very different (and Panyngara has got excellent T20I stats anyway) they can take some lucky/fearless blows, but the wieght of 50 overs and a competitive total on your shoulders counts for a lot, which is why even the very best batsmen have struggled against Panyangara. Even if you throw in Vitori and Jarvis, only Madziva has consistently come close to those two from what we've observed.

The West Indies used to bowl out Cameron Cuffy 10 overs on the trott, and he did extremely well. It isn't always about wickets, particularly these days when pressure forces the batsmen to get themselves out when psychologically all those enforced gaps keep starring at them.

I think Streak seems intent on excluding ZImbabwe's best seamers. After all, they only started being picked for Zimbabwe when he was sacked or his wings clipped. Surprise surprise, when Streak resurfaced, there's too many stories around them.

tawac
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by tawac »

pariah wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:51 am
I think Streak seems intent on excluding ZImbabwe's best seamers. After all, they only started being picked for Zimbabwe when he was sacked or his wings clipped. Surprise surprise, when Streak resurfaced, there's too many stories around them.
Hahaha, say what??? Clearly Streak favours Mpofu over most of the current seamers. It came of once when Mpofu actually turned up. But in the long run Panyangarara would be a better pick. Its a pity our selectors are hardly ever taken to task to explain or justify their selections.
CHRISTOPHER MPOFU: 'The problem was fear of failure. I used to think that when I played, if I didn't do well in one game, I would lose my place for the next one but now I've let go of that'

pariah

Post by pariah »

jaybro wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:30 am
Tinashe is a very average ODI bowler has 65 wickets from 65 games at nearly 47 going at over 5 and a half an over. I don't understand why people carry on like he's the second coming of Heath Streak :lol:
You know, at a time when run rates were very low, Streak used to go at 4.5rpo in ODIs, and often times the top sides also sent weakened teams to play against ZImbabwe quite often.

Fast forward to the age of powerplays, aggressive batting and huge bats, Lonwabo Tsotsobe was going at 4.75rpo. Streak got 7 4WI(and a fifer) as pretty much Zimbabwe's only premier ODI bowler with the new ball everytime, but in 200 matches. Lonwabo achieved the same in just 60 matches and he bowled to every batsman who can call himself or be termed great in that era. From that perspective I don't think Streak was all that great either, especially if you compare their ODI careers like-for-like.

The sad reality is that guys Panyangara were thrown into the deepend far too early and with little or zero FC experience. One may actually find that if their stats were compared with others after they had some experience, plus a numbers of factors considered, then their stats actually look much better.

Bangladesh, England(plus conditions) and Pakistan have had the weekest ODI batting orders during Streak's career and naturally he's done very well against them and it's boosted his career. In contrast Panyangara last played against England in England when he was 18 and had zero experience really. In 23 ODIs in India against that fearsome order, Streak averages 53 and a SR of over 60 - that's more than 1 match per wicket! More Panyangara-like?

Anyway, apart from Bangladesh where he's played 12 times (and averages 26), the only other place where Panyangara has played more than 5 times is Pakistan, and he averages 40. The rest being the odd match or two - and most of them during international tournaments, meaning stakes are higher than bilaterals, and you face the best 6/7 batsmen of that side's best XI.

As always, it's important to take a number of factors into consideration, and I think a lot of reporters and commentators have rightly sung Panyangara's praises. He really looks world class 80% of the time, in any format!

foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by foreignfield »

M'shangwe has been very expensive so far, 16-0-100-2 currently, bit of a reality check to the idea that he would've won us the Test match in SL.