Transfer From Under 19s to National Team

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Black Mamba
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Transfer From Under 19s to National Team

Post by Black Mamba »

At present, under 19 cricket has become serious mode. Every Cricket Nations are creating infrastructure to expose Under 19s, so that they can represent their nation in future.

Zimbabwe Under 19 teams in every world cup had some bunch of talents who later represented their nation. Let see the transfer of under 19 players from past to last edition of the under 19 World Cup who made into the national team.

1998 - Mark Vermeulen, Dion Ebrahim, Neil Ferreira, Greg Lamb, Alester Maregwede, David Mutendera, Mluleki Nkala

Total : 7

2000- Sean Ervine, Gavin Ewing, Travis Friend, Hamilton Masakadza, Tatenda Taibu

Total : 5

2002 - Elton Chigumbura , Charles Coventry, Stuart Matsikenyeri, Brendan Taylor, Waddington Mwayenga

2004 - Tino Mawoyo, Graeme Cremer, Craig Ervine, Tafadzwa Mufambisi, Tinashe Panyangara, Ed Rainsford, Brendan Taylor ( wk), Prosper Utseya,
Sean Williams

Total : 9

2006 - Chamu Chibhabha, Friday Kasteni,
Prince Masvaure, Keagan Meth, Taurai Muzarabani, Ian Nicolson

Total : 6

2008- Kyle Jarvis, Solomon Mire, Peter Moor, Tinotenda Mutombodzi, Njabulo Ncube

2010 - Tendai Chatara, Natsai M'shangwe

Total : 2

2012 - Ryan Burl, Luke Jongwe, Wellington Masakadza

Total : 3

2014 - Tarisai Musakanda

Total : 1

2016- Richard Ngarava

Total : 1

From 1998 to 2008, large group of players performed successfully and made into the national team. Since 2010, the number got reduced, as large cop of under 19s from Zimbabwe are now getting interest in playing for other nation, due to lack of opportunities and franchises showing no interest in them, poor domestic cricket infrastructure as a result team is still suffering at A level, Emerging games.
Last edited by Black Mamba on Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

TapsC

Re: Transfer From Under 19s to National Team

Post by TapsC »

I think the high number of players from 2000-2008 coincides with economic turmoil making senior players leave as well as the 2004 rebellion creating a huge hole. Now it's difficult to crack the team compared to then because all these guys from the 2004 era are the senior players now yet they still have another 5 years in them as they started at such a young age.

I think the rising stars has filled the gap from u19 level to the A side. It's our emerging team. A guy like Roche can now go straight to the U.K. After the u19 World Cup, spend 6 months there then come back and impress in the domestic competition which the rising stars are supposed to take part in. From there you crack the A team, play a few big knocks there and you are in.

A lot of the u19 players are multi talented as well. Don't know if it happens in other countries as much as ours. Maybe down south too.A lot of the u19 guys play u19 rugby as well or are in the junior atheltics team. So you get a situation like Andrew Lindsay who will then weigh his options and decide to get an Athletics scholarship to the USA instead of pursuing cricket. Someone like Musakanda probably had rugby in his heart but cricket opened doors for him. My main point being that a lot of the guys in our u19 teams might not actually have cricket in their heart compared to the u19 indian team for example. They just happen to be good at it and that's Why you never see them after the World Cup.

Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

TapsC wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:07 am
I think the high number of players from 2000-2008 coincides with economic turmoil making senior players leave as well as the 2004 rebellion creating a huge hole. Now it's difficult to crack the team compared to then because all these guys from the 2004 era are the senior players now yet they still have another 5 years in them as they started at such a young age.

I think the rising stars has filled the gap from u19 level to the A side. It's our emerging team. A guy like Roche can now go straight to the U.K. After the u19 World Cup, spend 6 months there then come back and impress in the domestic competition which the rising stars are supposed to take part in. From there you crack the A team, play a few big knocks there and you are in.

A lot of the u19 players are multi talented as well. Don't know if it happens in other countries as much as ours. Maybe down south too.A lot of the u19 guys play u19 rugby as well or are in the junior atheltics team. So you get a situation like Andrew Lindsay who will then weigh his options and decide to get an Athletics scholarship to the USA instead of pursuing cricket. Someone like Musakanda probably had rugby in his heart but cricket opened doors for him. My main point being that a lot of the guys in our u19 teams might not actually have cricket in their heart compared to the u19 indian team for example. They just happen to be good at it and that's Why you never see them after the World Cup.

If you check the Rising Academy Squad, only Richard Ngarava and Brendan Mavuta are the only under 19 players from 2016 slot. Youths are preffering migration to other countries then playing for Zimbabwe, due to lack of interest in franchises selecting them.

Some fine talents lost by Zimbabwe in form of Nick Welch, Byrom, Lake, Evans, Kieran Geyle, Shaun Snyder, Adam Keefe, Jeremy Ives they should have been the part of high performance side. Over last few years, First Class Cricket Clubs of other nations keeps eye on the Zimbabwe Under 19 cricketers and they manage to get them,once their under 19 duties for the national team gets over.

tawac
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by tawac »

Black Mamba wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:20 am
Youths are preffering migration to other countries then playing for Zimbabwe, due to lack of interest in franchises selecting them.
Youths are migrating from Zimbabwe true and its not limited to cricket. So your reason is no more than an assumption. Maybe these kids are actually using ZC for their CVs to look good so as to get better opportunities. When they go to College outside Zim how many are really looking to come back?
CHRISTOPHER MPOFU: 'The problem was fear of failure. I used to think that when I played, if I didn't do well in one game, I would lose my place for the next one but now I've let go of that'

Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

tawac wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:07 am
Black Mamba wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:20 am
Youths are preffering migration to other countries then playing for Zimbabwe, due to lack of interest in franchises selecting them.
Youths are migrating from Zimbabwe true and its not limited to cricket. So your reason is no more than an assumption. Maybe these kids are actually using ZC for their CVs to look good so as to get better opportunities. When they go to College outside Zim how many are really looking to come back?

Kids looking their CV 's to be good, might be for one or two players, how can a group of players are moving away to other nations after each Under 19 World Cups ?

Googly

Post by Googly »

There's no job security in cricket here. If you're not centrally contracted you're on $200 a month for a franchise side, and probably not guaranteed of regular games and definitely not guaranteed the being paid the $200. Nobody is going to risk that straight out of school if they've got options. That's the main reason. The second reason is anybody with a choice wants to go to any university other than Zim Uni, although it's not a bad idea because for a few dollars you can buy a Doctorate.
The third reason is because our country is so jigged that it's almost impossible for a school leaver to get a job here and if they can they go overseas. Nothing is going to change in any of these departments.
Nobody is specifically trying to get into U19 to further their cricket elsewhere. I'm not sure it's a huge selling point having it on your CV either.

pariah

Post by pariah »

tawac wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:07 am
Maybe these kids are actually using ZC for their CVs to look good so as to get better opportunities.
Deja vu....

viewtopic.php?p=32045#p32045

viewtopic.php?p=32119#p32119

Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

2 years gone,now its time for 2018 Under 19 World Cup.

From 2016 Under 19 World Cup Squad, only Richard Ngarava made it to the national side, whereas Brandon Mavuta, William Mashinge, Ryan Murray have played both domestic cricket and few A games.

Wesley Madhevere & Milton Shumba will be the part of under 19 World Cup 2018 again, whereas rest of the players have been vanished :)

Time has come again to watch how many continues with cricket in Zimbabwe :) as most of them are expected to get vanished or play for other nations :)

eugene

Post by eugene »

I don't think Zimbabwe compares badly to other nations. I was looking back at scorecards from the 2014 Under-19 tournament and to be honest most of the players haven't gone on to become international regulars, perhaps 2-3 per team.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

Great to see Murray, Brandon Mavuta made into Zim Squad.

Ives, Snyder were more talented then these two
Last edited by Black Mamba on Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.