[News] Zim A players conduct grassroots training

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
tawac
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

[News] Zim A players conduct grassroots training

Post by tawac »

Good to see efforts being made to spread the game.

https://www.newsday.co.zw/2017/08/08/zi ... -training/
The health of cricket depends on whether young fans in parks want to emulate players in stadiums
CHRISTOPHER MPOFU: 'The problem was fear of failure. I used to think that when I played, if I didn't do well in one game, I would lose my place for the next one but now I've let go of that'

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Re: [News] Zim A players conduct grassroots training

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

That's a really good story.

I've long felt that the way to boost interest in the game is to have all of the internationals broadcast on radio. I don't know the prevalence of television in the rural areas (if ZBC bother to air cricket anyway), but I imagine a lot of people could have access to a radio. When it gets to the point where kids are getting told off in class because they are putting their ear to the desk to hear the faint signal from a portable radio (this was my experience :mrgreen:) - then the health of the game is good.

tawac
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by tawac »

brmtaylor.com admin wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:34 pm
I've long felt that the way to boost interest in the game is to have all of the internationals broadcast on radio. I don't know the prevalence of television in the rural areas (if ZBC bother to air cricket anyway), but I imagine a lot of people could have access to a radio. When it gets to the point where kids are getting told off in class because they are putting their ear to the desk to hear the faint signal from a portable radio (this was my experience :mrgreen:) - then the health of the game is good.
Local international games are back on ZTV of late, I remember back in the 90's that really did have an effect as most kids started trying out cricket in the back yards and streets. I think Star FM Sport radio also got into the act when they did some commentary in Shona and Ndebele. Local media has really picked on their broadcasts of the game. But its all about getting more and more kids involved in the game.

http://www.herald.co.zw/cricket-commentary-shona-style/
CHRISTOPHER MPOFU: 'The problem was fear of failure. I used to think that when I played, if I didn't do well in one game, I would lose my place for the next one but now I've let go of that'

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

Get the players out to the schools that's the best way to inspire the kids ......
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Googly

Post by Googly »

tawac wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:58 am
Good to see efforts being made to spread the game.

https://www.newsday.co.zw/2017/08/08/zi ... -training/
The health of cricket depends on whether young fans in parks want to emulate players in stadiums
We've had twenty years of grass roots publicity stunts, the ICC guy must be around, let's hope he buys into the bullshit. We're down to one quarter of the facilities and player pool we used to have. Have any reporters done a follow up on Makoni's Muzarabani Academy? :lol: