2nd Unofficial Test : Zimbabwe A V/s South Africa Emerging Side

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Black Mamba
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Re: 2nd Unofficial Test : Zimbabwe A V/s South Africa Emerging Side

Post by Black Mamba »

pariah wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:56 am
It really doesn't matter what level - club, 2nd XI, Grade, FC, A/XI and international, when you have a bowler coming at you and you can't score runs off them, you'll target bowlers you think you can take on and fall while doing so. This has been proven time and again. Pressure spells really work. Batsmen are also vulnerable after breaks, more so if no everything is going their way. So 4 maidens from 6 overs is really good from Shingi. That's what you exect when your top domestic bowlers come up against top talent from other countries. Chinouya always hurries a batsman and is a bull. Too bad he doesn't have the pace to go with it, but he's another one who's really above this level and shouldn't really be playing here (like Shingi the Test XI no brainer).

Yaseen Valli is a definite future Protea in all formats. He's been great in the varsity scene, junior national sides and has started off his career well. Likes of Phehlukwayo, Rabada and now Markram have gone ahead of him, but maybe he too can have a decent season out of th eblue like Markram and be back in that top bracket.

Of the bowlers I've got time for Zuma from the little I've seen, even though he hasn't progressed as well as he should have. Would be interested to hear more from the guys how Cele goes. The conditions seem helpful to seam bowling, and Bokako will no doubt be kicking himself for being below par. But then again, he ran into Regis and Chamu - again a set of players who are in all honesty well above this level.

Anyway, Ndlovu, Kaia, Kunje, Gumbie and to a less extent Kasuza and Nathan Waller, are the ones being tested here. Chari has done far too well across formats in domestic as well as for ZIM A & XI to be playing here(though not as much of an insult to him as picking Shingi and Regis for this match though since he's still developing to some degree). It's just a case of giving him a chance in a position he can thrive in. He's definitely got the goods.

Chibabha needs another 100 odis to score his maiden odi tin and challenge sensastional Mire :)

tawac
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by tawac »

pariah wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:59 am
....only Shingi is keeping it tight.
Are they really that tight?
Shingi is really putting the work in no doubt and he should be in and amongst our test bowlers. But Chinouya is picking some wickets which is good feeding off the pressure being created. Nathan has been better today. An over all rate run of below 3 is a great team effort in some respect. Chamu shld be looking to bowl himself more just the one over from him so far. I remember in some ODIs were he can on a did really well. We definitely need more seamers in the National team.
CHRISTOPHER MPOFU: 'The problem was fear of failure. I used to think that when I played, if I didn't do well in one game, I would lose my place for the next one but now I've let go of that'

pariah

Post by pariah »

The Robot wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:08 am
Taking maiden over in test cricket doesnt matter. Even Peter Moor and Mukuhalani can also take maiden in test cricket, as batsman are least bother to take any risk.

Bowlers who can deceive batsman are the one who has got talent.
What's your point exaclty? Shingi has a 32 Test average including two 4WMs. plus 300 FC wickets at 22.

The Robot
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by The Robot »

pariah wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:14 pm
The Robot wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:08 am
Taking maiden over in test cricket doesnt matter. Even Peter Moor and Mukuhalani can also take maiden in test cricket, as batsman are least bother to take any risk.

Bowlers who can deceive batsman are the one who has got talent.
What's your point exaclty? Shingi has a 32 Test average including two 4WMs. plus 300 FC wickets at 22.

Zimbabwe first class structure is weak, very few quality batsman are there. He haven't done anything great at the international arena
Robo to rule :oops:

pariah

Post by pariah »

The Robot wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:58 pm
Zimbabwe first class structure is weak, very few quality batsman are there. He haven't done anything great at the international arena
Shingi's Test record is international - Away Tests to New Zealand and Bangladesh, plus home Tests against Pakistan and Bangladesh.

If Shingi averages 32 in Tests cricket, but averages 22 in domestic cricket, that 10 run differential is fair enough regardless isn't it? Likewise if Chatara averages 22 in FC, but 29 in Tests, that's also a fair reflection. Panyangara is Zimbabwe's standout Test bowler which is why his FC average of 27 appears weaker than his Test average of 26. All in all, they are quality bowlers be it against Test batsmen or Logan cup batsmen. All of Vusi, Hami, Taibu and Taylor struggled against them.

These three (Panyangara, Chatara and Shingi), are by far and easily Zimbabwe's best Test bowlers, even considering spinners, so I don't think one can read too much into Zimbabwe's FC competition. Mind you they all have Test economy rates of under 3 - 2.6, 2.4 and 2.9 respectively.

On the other hand, if you focus on those who have bigger bowling average gaps - Mpofu(FC-32, Tests-49), Williams(FC-36, Tests-55), Cremer(FC-28, Tests-48), Raza(FC-58, Tests-90) and Tiripano(FC26, Tests-51), then you will get completely the wrong impression because I'm convinced this kind of selection madness would never happen in England. But Heath Streak's stupidity can't be used to judge Zimbabwe's FC structure or the quality of its batsmen. That's unfair. It must be used to judge only him, and the current selectors.

tawac

Post by tawac »

pariah wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:43 pm
But Heath Streak's stupidity can't be used to judge Zimbabwe's FC structure or the quality of its batsmen. That's unfair. It must be used to judge only him, and the current selectors.
I really don't get it. We have Streak and Ntini as coaches but we have a snip heavy attack. Usually by now we should have some one being line up to beef up our bowling stocks. Shingi's inclusion in the A side proves that its difficult to continue to ignore his efforts. If we are pointing figures than its hard to ignore Taibu's contribution in all this. And to add to that Panyangarara, Shingi would be in his close circles could he just blindly turn his back to them?
CHRISTOPHER MPOFU: 'The problem was fear of failure. I used to think that when I played, if I didn't do well in one game, I would lose my place for the next one but now I've let go of that'

pariah

Post by pariah »

tawac wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:52 am
pariah wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:59 am
....only Shingi is keeping it tight.
Are they really that tight?
Shingi is really putting the work in no doubt and he should be in and amongst our test bowlers. But Chinouya is picking some wickets which is good feeding off the pressure being created. Nathan has been better today. An over all rate run of below 3 is a great team effort in some respect. Chamu shld be looking to bowl himself more just the one over from him so far. I remember in some ODIs were he can on a did really well. We definitely need more seamers in the National team.
Assuming Chibhabha is the captain, then he's doing a crappy job.. We expect the slow-left armer Ndlovu to trouble them, kt's not happening, but the 3 frontline seamers will have bowled 45 overs combined when he completes his 30 overs.

This is not the sub-continent Chamu. Moeen Ali just rolled the Proteas, and only once I think did he bowl 20 overs. He also played 10 Tests in the subcontinent, but I doubt he's bowled over 30 overs. I'm talking entire Tests not one day. This is very poor from Chibhabha.

tawac

Post by tawac »

Having someone toil for 30overs without any success should be demotivating for the bowler. Why not chop and change things up. try something new for Christ sake. Well having Chari bowl a few should be something. What happened to Mutombodzi by the way. Did he get injured or something?

pariah

Post by pariah »

tawac wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:25 pm
Having someone toil for 30overs without any success should be demotivating for the bowler. Why not chop and change things up. try something new for Christ sake. Well having Chari bowl a few should be something. What happened to Mutombodzi by the way. Did he get injured or something?
I don't know what happened to Mutombodzi, but Chari rollin ghis arm isn;t a bad idea at all. Something to change things up, but so few overs for Chinouya and Shingi doesn't make sense.

tawac

Post by tawac »

Shingi castles the centurion. :W: not bad for his cause.