[News] Cremer snapped up. Excited about Bangladesh Premier League challenge

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
pariah
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Re: [News] Cremer snapped up. Excited about Bangladesh Premier League challenge

Post by pariah »

eugene wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:36 pm
But we can at least discuss South African rugby, something we both share an interest in.
:lol: I see. So with the ghosts of the B&IL as well as the Boks improving, you're now afraid your backsides will be handed to you. :lol:

Kriterion_BD

Re: [News] Cremer snapped up. Excited about Bangladesh Premier League challenge

Post by Kriterion_BD »

brmtaylor.com admin wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:09 pm
Are there any colonial vestiges in Bangladesh?
Like a Portuguese district or suburbs and streets named after British towns etc?
Colonial vestiges, yes, but mostly from the Mughals. One of my Iranian friends asked me why so many cities in Bangladesh end in the suffix "-pur" which is Persian for "town"...I didn't know it was Persian until he told me...its so ubiquitous I thought it was Bengali, lol. So I told him we had a lot of Persians come through over the centuries the most notable being of course the Mughals. But yes, Mirpur, Jagganathpur, Meherpur...lots of purs in Bangladesh.

As far as British vestiges we have of course the driving on the left thing and cricket, lol. We have the education system, parliamentary system of gov.

The only town I can think of is the small town of Cox's Bazar near the border with Myanmar, named after a Hiram Cox. There is also St Martin's island near Cox's Bazar, both of which are big tourist attractions in Bangladesh.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)