[News] Cremer snapped up. Excited about Bangladesh Premier League challenge

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Detective RDS

[News] Cremer snapped up. Excited about Bangladesh Premier League challenge

Post by Detective RDS »

http://www.chronicle.co.zw/cremer-snapp ... challenge/

Cremer snapped up. . . Excited about Bangladesh Premier League challenge
August 1, 2017 Sport

Eddie Chikamhi, Harare Bureau
ZIMBABWE cricket captain Graeme Cremer’s recent form has earned him recognition in the Bangladesh Premier League after he was snapped up by defending champions Dhaka Dynamites for this year’s T20 tournament.

Cremer, who was the driving force behind Zimbabwe’s successful tour of Sri Lanka recently, yesterday said he was looking forward to the challenge in the tournament, which has drawn some big names since its inauguration in 2012.

The leg-spinner will be in the same team with the likes of Australian all-rounder Shane Watson, Shahid Afridi of Pakistan, Asela Gunaratne (Sri Lanka), Mohammad Amir (Pakistan), Sunil Narine (West Indies) and Bangladesh national T20 skipper Shakib Al Hasan.

The tournament will take place from November 2 across three cities of Dhaka, Sylhet and Chittagong.

“Obviously, people look at your form and performances and I am sure this has allowed me to get this opportunity to play at the tournament. So it means a lot to me as a cricketer.

“The good thing is that I have a good record in Bangladesh and I hope it will not change when I return there for the tournament.

“Hopefully, I will be able to maintain my form. At least we have some competitive games coming up before that tournament with West Indies coming down here in a few months to play Zimbabwe,” said Cremer.

The 30-year-old is one of the few players who have already agreed contracts before the floating of the annual draft which takes place next month.

His team Dhaka Dynamites are the most successful franchise in the tournament, having won three of the last four editions of the BPL.

The team was originally established in 2012 for the inaugural BPL season as the Dhaka Gladiators and they won both the 2012 and 2013 editions of the tournament.

The Gladiators were one of the teams dissolved in 2013 after the second edition.

The franchise was sold to the current owners Beximco Group and rebranded as the Dynamites.

Eight teams will take part in the tournament.

Other international stars that will take part this year include West Indies big hitter Chris Gayle who has never missed an edition, his compatriot Lendl Simmons, Seekuge Prasanna of Sri Lanka, Kyle Abott and Rilee Rossouw of South Africa, Sarfraz Ahmed and Shadab Khan of Pakistan.

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: [News] Cremer snapped up. Excited about Bangladesh Premier League challenge

Post by jaybro »

Good on him really deserves it .....
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

really happy that my hometown, Sylhet, will be a venue this year. Last season we didn't even have a team, which is shocking since Sylhet is propably the 3rd most important city in Bangladesh.

but we Sylhetis seem to suck at cricket vis a vis Bengalis. Abul Hasan was the last Sylheti to play in the senior team, and before him the list consists of Nazmul Hossain, Rajin Saleh, Alok Kapali, and Tapash Baisya.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:10 pm
really happy that my hometown, Sylhet, will be a venue this year. Last season we didn't even have a team, which is shocking since Sylhet is propably the 3rd most important city in Bangladesh.

but we Sylhetis seem to suck at cricket vis a vis Bengalis. Abul Hasan was the last Sylheti to play in the senior team, and before him the list consists of Nazmul Hossain, Rajin Saleh, Alok Kapali, and Tapash Baisya.
Whatever happened to Rajin Saleh, he seemed to have some talent.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

eugene wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:00 pm

Rajin was my favorite player after Ashraful when I first started getting into cricket back in 2003. But frankly, speaking he wasnt good enough for intl cricket as his averages and strike rate will attest. He is now the seniormost member of Sylhet's first-class team and under him, I believe Sylhet are the most disciplined side in the Bangladeshi first class setup. but given our lack of talent we finish near the bottom every season. Cricket is not something us Sylhetis are known for. We do have a promising fast bowler, Ebadat Hossain, but Im not sure if he is in line for a Test debut anytime soon. Sylhetis are known for being business oriented (95% of the UK Bangladeshi population is Sylheti) and probably account for 25% or more of the remittance revenue (just my guesstimate) while only making up 7% of the population of BD. Apparently, Sylheti women are also the prettiest in the country, I dont know if that is true (subjective as it is), but perhaps Sylheti men are better looking than Bengali men, for those who appreciate more Aryan features. many Sylheti people are told they 'look Pakistani' and do not look 'Bengali'. Of course non Bangladeshis dont know that Bengalis and Sylhetis are both extremely diverse phenotypically!

asides from that, Sylhetis are also famous for being far more tribal and insular than Bengalis. for example, a bengali from Dhaka would have no problems marrying one from Khulna which is 150 km away. but a Sylheti from Beanibazar is an eternal enemy with Sylhetis from Golapganj...a whopping 10 miles away. Sylhetis are often, though not always, ridiculed for their customs and mores.

That being said, it should be noted that opinion is divided as to whether Sylhetis constitute a nation seperate from Bengalis. there are valid arguments for both sides, but I tend believe that the two are indeed distinct ethnicities, although many Sylhetis and Bengalis would disagree.

pariah
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by pariah »

This is what happens when you allow a Bangladeshi into a ZImbabwe cricket forum :lol: :lol: :lol:
Kriterion_BD wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:28 pm
eugene wrote:
But frankly, speaking he wasnt good enough for intl cricket...I believe Sylhet are the most disciplined side...Cricket is not something us Sylhetis are known for...Sylhetis are known for being business oriented...Sylheti women are also the prettiest in the country...perhaps Sylheti men are better looking than Bengali men...many Sylheti people are told they 'look Pakistani'......Of course non Bangladeshis dont know that Bengalis and Sylhetis are both extremely diverse phenotypically!...Sylhetis are also famous for being far more tribal and insular than Bengalis.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

pariah wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:56 am
This is what happens when you allow a Bangladeshi into a ZImbabwe cricket forum :lol: :lol: :lol:
Kriterion_BD wrote:
eugene wrote:
But frankly, speaking he wasnt good enough for intl cricket...I believe Sylhet are the most disciplined side...Cricket is not something us Sylhetis are known for...Sylhetis are known for being business oriented...Sylheti women are also the prettiest in the country...perhaps Sylheti men are better looking than Bengali men...many Sylheti people are told they 'look Pakistani'......Of course non Bangladeshis dont know that Bengalis and Sylhetis are both extremely diverse phenotypically!...Sylhetis are also famous for being far more tribal and insular than Bengalis.
To be fair to me...75% of the active posters here are non-Zimbabwean as well.

dang8811

Post by dang8811 »

Well, I found it very interesting so thanks for sharing!
Kriterion_BD wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:10 pm
pariah wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:56 am
Kriterion_BD wrote:
To be fair to me...75% of the active posters here are non-Zimbabwean as well.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

dang8811 wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:29 pm

Well, I found it very interesting so thanks for sharing!
Appreciated. But I'm sure pariah/hhm was just kidding, emojis and all.

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

The forum is made up with mostly 'imports' I remember when we tried to put together a forum World XI v Zimbabwe XI we couldn't find enough active Zimbo's on the forum .....
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement