BREAKING: Zim to host 2018 CWC qualifiers

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
pariah
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Re: BREAKING: Zim to host 2018 CWC qualifiers

Post by pariah »

West Indies lose out on direct qualification for World Cup, here's what lies ahead for men from Caribbean
FirstCricket Staff, Sep, 20 2017 17:27:34 IST
http://www.firstpost.com/firstcricket/s ... 62775.html
How can Windies qualify for the World Cup, which will be held in the United Kingdom from 30 May to 15 July?

Very rarely does a result of a single game affect three sides.

That is what happened in Manchester on Tuesday. An England win helped Sri Lanka gain direct qualification to the 2019 World Cup, while the West Indies would now be forced to play the qualifiers in 2018.

It's been a while since West Indies cricket has lost its sheen. The overall inconsistency has been so much that it easily eclipses the away Test wins or the World T20 triumphs. The 1975 and 1979 World Champions now stare at a new low of competing in the qualifier to qualify for the World Cup.

Jason Holder's men also failed to qualify for the Champions Trophy earlier this year, whereas Bangladesh, the team that replaced them in the event, made it to the semis.

But since then, there have been a few changes in Caribbean cricket.

Most notably, Cricket West Indies (CWI) has softened its stance on selection and offered an amnesty to its players. As a result of that development, Chris Gayle and Marlon Samuels returned to the T20I and ODI squad for the ongoing series against England.

In future, the likes of Kieron Pollard, Dwayne Bravo and other T20 stars might also play for the Windies.

However, the road ahead will be challenging for the Windies and although there is still time for qualifiers, they must start planning about it advance.

Holder also acknowledged it and said, "There’s definitely work to be done (in the future) but we’ve just got to focus on this series first. We’ve got to pick ourselves up and head back to Trent Bridge in two days time (for the second ODI)."

So, how can the Windies qualify for the World Cup, which will be held in the United Kingdom from 30 May to 15 July?

Holder and Co will have to take part in the ICC Cricket World Cup qualifiers set to be held in March 2018. Though the venue is yet to be decided, there have been strong signs that Zimbabwe might be the host.

Windies will be joined by Afghanistan, Zimbabwe and Ireland — the bottom three sides. Along with them, the top four sides of the ICC World Cricket League Championship and the top two sides from ICC World Cricket League Division 2 will feature in the tournament.

It will be a round-robin event followed by semis, which effectively would be straight play-offs. Only the two finalists will advance to the main tournament.

With Afghanistan improving and Zimbabwe rediscovering themselves (read: recent series win in Sri Lanka and Brendan Taylor's comeback), Windies will have to be on their toes despite the return of big names. They simply cannot afford a slip up there.

But the team seem positive about the challenge. As Toby Radford, Windies' batting coach told reporters, "You always know there's the potential of that (not gaining direct qualification for World Cup) we knew it was going to be a tough ask. But we are very positive as a group and are trying to develop in all formats. If it means the qualifiers next year, it means the qualifiers next year and we'll build our way back up."

firebreaker

Post by firebreaker »

pariah wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:01 pm
West Indies lose out on direct qualification for World Cup, here's what lies ahead for men from Caribbean
FirstCricket Staff, Sep, 20 2017 17:27:34 IST
http://www.firstpost.com/firstcricket/s ... 62775.html
How can Windies qualify for the World Cup, which will be held in the United Kingdom from 30 May to 15 July?

Very rarely does a result of a single game affect three sides.

That is what happened in Manchester on Tuesday. An England win helped Sri Lanka gain direct qualification to the 2019 World Cup, while the West Indies would now be forced to play the qualifiers in 2018.

It's been a while since West Indies cricket has lost its sheen. The overall inconsistency has been so much that it easily eclipses the away Test wins or the World T20 triumphs. The 1975 and 1979 World Champions now stare at a new low of competing in the qualifier to qualify for the World Cup.

Jason Holder's men also failed to qualify for the Champions Trophy earlier this year, whereas Bangladesh, the team that replaced them in the event, made it to the semis.

But since then, there have been a few changes in Caribbean cricket.

Most notably, Cricket West Indies (CWI) has softened its stance on selection and offered an amnesty to its players. As a result of that development, Chris Gayle and Marlon Samuels returned to the T20I and ODI squad for the ongoing series against England.

In future, the likes of Kieron Pollard, Dwayne Bravo and other T20 stars might also play for the Windies.

However, the road ahead will be challenging for the Windies and although there is still time for qualifiers, they must start planning about it advance.

Holder also acknowledged it and said, "There’s definitely work to be done (in the future) but we’ve just got to focus on this series first. We’ve got to pick ourselves up and head back to Trent Bridge in two days time (for the second ODI)."

So, how can the Windies qualify for the World Cup, which will be held in the United Kingdom from 30 May to 15 July?

Holder and Co will have to take part in the ICC Cricket World Cup qualifiers set to be held in March 2018. Though the venue is yet to be decided, there have been strong signs that Zimbabwe might be the host.

Windies will be joined by Afghanistan, Zimbabwe and Ireland — the bottom three sides. Along with them, the top four sides of the ICC World Cricket League Championship and the top two sides from ICC World Cricket League Division 2 will feature in the tournament.

It will be a round-robin event followed by semis, which effectively would be straight play-offs. Only the two finalists will advance to the main tournament.

With Afghanistan improving and Zimbabwe rediscovering themselves (read: recent series win in Sri Lanka and Brendan Taylor's comeback), Windies will have to be on their toes despite the return of big names. They simply cannot afford a slip up there.

But the team seem positive about the challenge. As Toby Radford, Windies' batting coach told reporters, "You always know there's the potential of that (not gaining direct qualification for World Cup) we knew it was going to be a tough ask. But we are very positive as a group and are trying to develop in all formats. If it means the qualifiers next year, it means the qualifiers next year and we'll build our way back up."
BS article this.WI will annihilate every team in that tournament and theres only one place open for other teams

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

A meaningful correlation? The teams that have ended up with the need to qualify for CWC 2019 are the ones that have played out the maximum percentage of dot balls of late:

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

its all fun and games for the bigger teams until you get a team not in the top 10 hosting the World Cup.

If it is in March then I have a feeling the rain might come into play. Also the West Indies might be in for a shock. They are a very inconsistent team just like the rest of the teams in the qualifier. I have my doubts that they will leave this tournament with a 100% win record.

firebreaker

Post by firebreaker »

WI will bring back Bravo and co back for CWC qualifiers

Black Mamba
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Black Mamba »

ICC officially Approved Zimbabwe as a host of ICC World Cup Qualifiers 2018. Ten Teams Tournament starts from March 2018

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by sloandog »

Black Mamba wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:19 am
ICC officially Approved Zimbabwe as a host of ICC World Cup Qualifiers 2018. Ten Teams Tournament starts from March 2018
Brilliant. Hopefully will bring some much needed revenue in

tawac
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by tawac »

Interesting choice of venues. Havent been to Takashinga before I wonder if the facility will be upgrade before the tournament.
The ICC inspected the facilities about a month ago and it is understood that alongside the two regular international venues - Harare Sports Club and Queens Sports Club - the grounds at Takashinga, Bulawayo Athletic Club and in Kwe-Kwe will be used for the tournament.
CHRISTOPHER MPOFU: 'The problem was fear of failure. I used to think that when I played, if I didn't do well in one game, I would lose my place for the next one but now I've let go of that'

Googly

Post by Googly »

I see Makoni’s and Mangongo’s influence in getting Takashinga selected as a venue. Fair enough as it was their baby from the outset and it would be good to get it lookin nice. They are going to be throwing huge cash at getting it renovated in time. I wish someone had a pic to show you guys of this ground. They are going to have to start from scratch. There’s a big dip in one of the decks as well, which is downright dangerous. Obviously ICC are sending a chunk of cash for preparations. I pray the CEO makes sure it’s spent correctly, because the mafia are going to be pulling every trick in the book to get their mitts on the moolah.

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

Definitely a big payday for some guys. At least it will leave us with 5 decent grounds. It's a shame Mutare wasn't included. Maybe they were afraid the conditions wouldn't suit them. Colder, higher altitude..