BREAKING: Zim to host 2018 CWC qualifiers

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

BREAKING: Zim to host 2018 CWC qualifiers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Announced by minister Hlongwane a few hours ago. Great news!

tawac
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Re: BREAKING: Zim to host 2018 CWC qualifiers

Post by tawac »

Wait... isn't the Minister jumping the gun here. I thought a decision would be made in October by ICC?
CHRISTOPHER MPOFU: 'The problem was fear of failure. I used to think that when I played, if I didn't do well in one game, I would lose my place for the next one but now I've let go of that'

Black Mamba
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Black Mamba »

News is great but isn't surprising as ICC successfully managed to Kick corrupt officials out of ZC and brought ZC under their control through the appointment of Faisal Hasnain.

ICC finally managed to make Zimbabwe happy for sometime now, they should continue with ZC administration for 10 to 20 years and never allow those corrupt peoples back.Till then, More good news to come for Zimbabwe Cricket.

Mukuhalani is now appearing to be best chairman of ZC.

watermelon

Post by watermelon »

This is the best feeling I've had since I stole this white families dog for my daughter 15 years ago.

-watermelon
<3 Jemisi rules <3

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

Mukuhlani is doing relatively well. Something tells me the ICC qualifier was one of the carrots dangled at ZC to vote against India along with guaranteed full member status, more money and I would not be surprised to see their debt cleared.

I would also not be surprised if the ICC gives them a grant to upgrade the facilities in Kwekwe and Mutare as well as pay for the broadcasting equipment to be hired because they know we don't have the money. This is why it was so important to have their own guy as our MD so that he can make sure all this money getting pumped in doesn't get stolen. A lot of politics at play here. Clearly the we were "bribed" to vote against India. It's pretty obvious now.

Interesting times ahead if this is true. The lads are going to play 40-50 games over the next 18 months and hopefully even More if they qualify. A lot of the associates are going to come in over the next few months to get a feel of the conditions.

pariah

Post by pariah »

Strategically, going against India will back fire because by hosting this CWC qualifier Zimbabwe Cricket stands to make a nett loss even with the increased ICC injection (and the country economically too because with sanctions or bad press any infrastructural improvements to host the tournament won't exactly reap dividends going forward from tourism). Indian tours used to give ZImbabwe plenty money, and they were quite regular.

In my previous incarnation here I had asked what the strategy or objective of the A/XI/Emerging matches is(now plus Rising Stars matches) because the selection for them is not structured for any benefit, and almost 2 years later that's still the case. These are taking even more money out, but the domestic structure (Logan Cup, List A and Twenty20) was reduced in teams and is suffering. So again more money earned, and misspent.

The only highlight has been to defeat a Sri Lanka side that had actually just beat India quite easily recently in the CT2017. But that was preceded several lost matches against modest opposition, while several top perfromers and MoM for victories against other top countries like WI & IND are not in the mix anymore (EC & TC). Hami the man of the series in Sri Lanka will be 35 when these qualifiers start - so fitness issues a concen, especially if he plays a lot in the lead up to that event.

WI, AFG, IRE and ZIM are part of the qualifiers. With probably NED, SCO, PNG and HK the others. Even at home, it will be hard to win a group with 3 of WI, AFG, IRE, NED and SCO in it.

I firmly believe Zimbabwe has the bowlers (Cremer, Panyangara, Chatara, Chisoro, Wellington and Madziva) to have stood a better chance to win if this bid was won by and staged in IRE+SCO.

In Zimbabwean conditions, I don't see how it can beat a West Indies side that is now back to full strength, or Afghanistan for that matter, and a full strength IRE. Plus all these sides will probably come down to prepare and get better.

Come to think of it, ZIM toured and lost to SCO and NED, they sent youngsters to England - all contrary to a pending tour to the sub-continent. Now that they acclimatised, they want to stage qualifiers they stand little chance of winning?

Money is coming in it seems, but money is really not being spent wisely in Zimbabwe Cricket. With so many strange things, an investigative journalist worth ihs salt would dig something up that's juicy. In the other thread Googly I think questioned the Vic Falls stadium. I think potentially the worst things imaginable in terms of finances, are happening in Zimbabwe Cricket.

Watch this space...

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Wherever its hosted, hopefully its a good tournament where every team gets a more or less fair shot at qualifying. You would hate to have Duckworth Lewis rob a West Indies or an Afghanistan of qualifying if the tournament were held in the rainy British Isles.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

pariah wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:54 pm
Strategically, going against India will back fire because by hosting this CWC qualifier Zimbabwe Cricket stands to make a nett loss even with the increased ICC injection (and the country economically too because with sanctions or bad press any infrastructural improvements to host the tournament won't exactly reap dividends going forward from tourism). Indian tours used to give ZImbabwe plenty money, and they were quite regular.

In my previous incarnation here I had asked what the strategy or objective of the A/XI/Emerging matches is(now plus Rising Stars matches) because the selection for them is not structured for any benefit, and almost 2 years later that's still the case. These are taking even more money out, but the domestic structure (Logan Cup, List A and Twenty20) was reduced in teams and is suffering. So again more money earned, and misspent.

The only highlight has been to defeat a Sri Lanka side that had actually just beat India quite easily recently in the CT2017. But that was preceded several lost matches against modest opposition, while several top perfromers and MoM for victories against other top countries like WI & IND are not in the mix anymore (EC & TC). Hami the man of the series in Sri Lanka will be 35 when these qualifiers start - so fitness issues a concen, especially if he plays a lot in the lead up to that event.

WI, AFG, IRE and ZIM are part of the qualifiers. With probably NED, SCO, PNG and HK the others. Even at home, it will be hard to win a group with 3 of WI, AFG, IRE, NED and SCO in it.

I firmly believe Zimbabwe has the bowlers (Cremer, Panyangara, Chatara, Chisoro, Wellington and Madziva) to have stood a better chance to win if this bid was won by and staged in IRE+SCO.

In Zimbabwean conditions, I don't see how it can beat a West Indies side that is now back to full strength, or Afghanistan for that matter, and a full strength IRE. Plus all these sides will probably come down to prepare and get better.

Come to think of it, ZIM toured and lost to SCO and NED, they sent youngsters to England - all contrary to a pending tour to the sub-continent. Now that they acclimatised, they want to stage qualifiers they stand little chance of winning?

Money is coming in it seems, but money is really not being spent wisely in Zimbabwe Cricket. With so many strange things, an investigative journalist worth ihs salt would dig something up that's juicy. In the other thread Googly I think questioned the Vic Falls stadium. I think potentially the worst things imaginable in terms of finances, are happening in Zimbabwe Cricket.

Watch this space...
Geez you can put a negative spin on anything

Zimbabwe is hosting an ICC event

The ICC is going to throw in most if not all of the cash to get this thing running

Zimbabwe will get improved facilities

Zimbabwe get homefield advantage for the qualifiers ( I don't understand how you think this is a disadvantage)

These are all positives outcomes ......
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

eugene

Post by eugene »

To be fair, pariah isn't all negativity. He is full of positivity for the Mugabe, Zuma, Maduro, and Kim Jong-un regimes.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

Lol, you mates are so much worried about Cash & Venues. Check the history of ICC World Cup Qualifiers. It was started back in 1979 with England being the host in the innaugral edition.In 1990 host was The Netherlands, and they arranged this tournament successfully with 17 Teams, having just one international approved ground that time, De Diepput, The Hague.

In 1994, it was Zimbabwe neighbour Kenya hosted this tournament with 20 teams, having just one international approved venue, Gymkhana Club in Nairobi, Malaysia hosted in 1997 with 22 teams having Kuala Lumpur, the only approved venue, and Malaysia during that time wasn't such developed cricket nations.In 2001 it was Canada, who hosted with 12 teams, having just two grounds King City and Toronto ony two grounds, who arranged odi series against India and Pakistan. In 2005, Ireland hosted the same tournament with 12 teams having Dublin only the recognized venue.Most of these countries have used their international venues along with their school and university grounds for this global events.

When its comes to Zimbabwe, Harare & Bulawayo are international approved grounds. Mutare and Kwekwe hosts lots of domestic cricket and A games. As per last edition, which took place in New Zealand in 2014 with ten teams, Six Venues will be needed, so Zimbabwe here just needs to add two more venues may be its Old Hararians, Alexandra Sports Club, Marondera, Country Club, Sunrise Sports Club or Takashinga Sports Club, all these have the history of hosting domestic and list A games, one year still left to make every venues ready only problem Zimbabwe might needs to look to is hotel and logistics issues.

As per success is concerned, Zimbabwe has become three times consecutive champions , and is the most successful team in this tournament ( 82, 86, 90) :shock: