BREAKING: Zim to host 2018 CWC qualifiers

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Kriterion_BD

Re: BREAKING: Zim to host 2018 CWC qualifiers

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Black Mamba wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:14 am
Lol, you mates are so much worried about Cash & Venues. Check the history of ICC World Cup Qualifiers. It was started back in 1979 with England being the host in the innaugral edition.In 1990 host was The Netherlands, and they arranged this tournament successfully with 17 Teams, having just one international approved ground that time, De Diepput, The Hague.

In 1994, it was Zimbabwe neighbour Kenya hosted this tournament with 20 teams, having just one international approved venue, Gymkhana Club in Nairobi, Malaysia hosted in 1997 with 22 teams having Kuala Lumpur, the only approved venue, and Malaysia during that time wasn't such developed cricket nations.In 2001 it was Canada, who hosted with 12 teams, having just two grounds King City and Toronto ony two grounds, who arranged odi series against India and Pakistan. In 2005, Ireland hosted the same tournament with 12 teams having Dublin only the recognized venue.Most of these countries have used their international venues along with their school and university grounds for this global events.
The ICC Trophy was not classed as ODI matches until around 2000 or after that, so those countries not having approved venues is irrelevent because you don't need approved venues for unapproved matches!

All the above countries also have more infrastructure in terms of hotel accommodations, transportation, etc as well. Except maybe Kenya.

When its comes to Zimbabwe, Harare & Bulawayo are international approved grounds. Mutare and Kwekwe hosts lots of domestic cricket and A games. As per last edition, which took place in New Zealand in 2014 with ten teams, Six Venues will be needed, so Zimbabwe here just needs to add two more venues may be its Old Hararians, Alexandra Sports Club, Marondera, Country Club, Sunrise Sports Club or Takashinga Sports Club, all these have the history of hosting domestic and list A games, one year still left to make every venues ready only problem Zimbabwe might needs to look to is hotel and logistics issues.

As per success is concerned, Zimbabwe has become three times consecutive champions , and is the most successful team in this tournament ( 82, 86, 90) :shock:
You need at least 3 venues, 4 would be ideal. 6 is overkill. Venues most likely won't be a problem. The wider issue will be hosting 10 teams simalaneously in ZIM hotels, plus transportation, plus training facilities. Would be very expensive for the ICC to bring all that up to the level that UAE has.

Weather makes Ireland and Scotland poor choices of hosts. But then again England is hosting the actual world cup with similar climate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

The Robot
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by The Robot »

Co host with Namibia/ Kenya could be an option to tackle logistics and hotel issues.

Lets Group A matches of five teams take place in Zimbabwe, Group B in Namibia/ Kenya with Super Six Matches, Quaters, Semis and Finals in Zimbsbwe
Robo to rule :oops:

pariah
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by pariah »

I don't think you're getting my point.

You spend for a reason, and a couple of qualifiers ago (for T20WC and CWC) it made sense because Zimbabwe were desperate, and hosting would have given Zim a definite advantage. I don't want UAE and I don't want ZIM to host these qualifiers. Simple reason is, since then, all the favourites have been to ZIM and beaten ZIM there quite easily.

Whereas if you look at the results for some of the Associates in SCO and IRE, they've struggled there. Weather is not a deterrent because ICC would surely look to organise reserve days, because I think they did that for qualifiers at some point. No? There's no TV/Sponsor ressure for this to be overlooked liked with full internationals.

Again, it's not a mistake that IND have won and reached the CT final in England. Pakistan has the bowling personnel, but they also beat England there. Plus both IND and PAK beat the Proteas there, not to mention SL beating IND. Bangladesh also did very well there.

Such conditions would favour Zimbabwe's bowlers, plus you can expect ZImbabwe's more experienced batsmen to fare better and handle the conditions as well as maybe WI batsmen.

Recall ZIM bowled out SCO for 160 odd, and also bowled out NED for 140 odd (never mind that ZIM collapse in the final game against NED)

Enough time and money has been spent in Europe with the qualifiers in mind, why reverse those gains and bring them to Zimbabwe where you may even struggle against HK and PNG's spinners?

Why spend on hotels, grounds, maintenence etc? In that event then Zimbabwe should have just toured Nepal and organised plenty List A, Twenty20 and 4-day games against them ahead of the tour to Sri Lanka!!!

There's far too much sentiment and little thought in ZC. That's the sad issue!

pariah

Post by pariah »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:45 pm
Wherever its hosted, hopefully its a good tournament where every team gets a more or less fair shot at qualifying. You would hate to have Duckworth Lewis rob a West Indies or an Afghanistan of qualifying if the tournament were held in the rainy British Isles.
You excluding Zimbabwe says quite a lot because you don't consider them favourites, and are actually confirming my point that ZIM would host and still lose.

We've seen WI struggle in that place, and in 2000 Zimbabwe bullied a very strong WI there too. So they've been traditionally strong in those conditions. Plus IRE are rather weak now. In those conditions even if ZIM get both AFG and IRE in the same group, I'd consider ZIM favourites.

I'm not sure how it works. I think seeds won't allow ZIM(host) and WI(top ranked) to be in the same group. Most likely, ZIM will get AFG and WI get IRE. The T20 rankings show IRE to be the weakest team with SCO stronger than ZIM and the likes of NED (plus HK & UAE) thereabouts. So whatever other team ZIM gets, it won't be much of a relief over IRE.

pariah

Post by pariah »

It would be interesting to hear if maehara thinks ZIM stand a better chance of qualifying if they (& SCO) or host it or if ZIM's chances are increased if this is hel in ZIM.

I also wonder if you think IRE(Dockrell adn McBrine) would prefer ZIM or at home?

I think IRE have been doing much better away from home lately, because of their strong points.

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

Honestly speaking our top order would better off playing in Europe than Bulawayo for example

tawac
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by tawac »

Going to the world cup is obviously important but the run offs from hosting such an invite. Who is worried about hotels in Zim maybe training facilities I would understand. We have plenty of rooms that have been going unoccupied with no tourist arrivals. Even the 5 star Yadah facilities could host a team or two. Mind you Zim has hosted a big tournament before the All Africa games back in 95. Zimbabwe stands to benefit from improved facilities maybe even have the Academy ground fixed up. The general buzz of hosting the invite will definitely get more kids involved in the game. Not to mention Jobs, Jobs, Jobs.

But mind you 2018 is an election year in Zim. Wonder how that will affect things.
CHRISTOPHER MPOFU: 'The problem was fear of failure. I used to think that when I played, if I didn't do well in one game, I would lose my place for the next one but now I've let go of that'

pariah

Post by pariah »

tawac wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:08 am
But mind you 2018 is an election year in Zim. Wonder how that will affect things.
Relax. A zim election is about as fair and calculated as BRM poll! ;)

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

I don't understand how playing a tournament in a continent the national team has only played 2 ODI's I. 12 years is more of an advantage to us?

Windies are clear favourites to progress where ever the qualifiers are held and Afghanistan would be second favourite, but once you give Ireland and Scotland boefield advantage you boost them. In Zimbabwe our players are most acclimatised of all the sides and history shows a home field advantage is usually a boost.

ODI wickets in Britain will likely be flat anyways so no real advantage to the seamers and fast bowling isn't our strength anyways.

If we're playing Afghanistan for a spot in the World Cup I'm sure the players would rather play it at Harare rather than Dublin.

The opportunity to host a meaningful ICC event don't come around very often ( not since the 2003 WC 15 years ago ) so it's a great opportunity for Zimbabwe and their players to play such a tournament in front of their home fans.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Flakeman

Post by Flakeman »

Apparently the main reason the ICC Chairman came here was to try and solve a massive problem, as Zim is getting $10 million to host this and ZIMRA (tax thieves) wanted 50% of that sum. I can't comprehend how stupid these dimwits are.