Series Thread: Zim U19s in Australia

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Series Thread: Zim U19s in Australia

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Thanks to auszim's update, creating a thread for our U19 team's Australia tour.

Fixtures according to auszim's post:

Thursday Aug 17 - University of QLD
Sunday Aug 20 - Souths Cricket Club
Tuesday Aug 22 - Allan Border Field, Albion
Thursday Aug 24 - Allan Border Field, Albion
Sunday Aug 27 - Souths

All games start at 9.30am

CrimsonAvenger

Re: Series Thread: Zim U19s in Australia

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Any updates on these matches so far? I know auszim has posted the grim situation facing the U19 squad in the other thread and the result of the first match, but more details, if anyone has and can share it, would be great...

auszim

Post by auszim »

I was at today's match, which was another loss. Making it three on the trott. Qld u19 batted first, we had a run out in the second over however a couple of dropped catches and id say they were 100/1 after 20 and ended on about 295 from their 50 overs. Dion Myers took 5 wickets, with a couple of others chipping in.

A couple of standouts:

- dion myers - started bowling leggies which weren't overly effective however once moved to medium pace really pegged qld back. Was bowling inswing with the old ball. Great job to finish with five wickets and keep them under 300
- greg dollar - kept really well and did a lot of marshalling of the troops, which i like to see from a keeper, working on the angles for fielders on the boundaries etc. he also came out and made about 60 of 45 balls. Hits the ball so crisply and is a good fit for the opening spot.
- wesley Madhevere - bowled handy offspin but was super impressive in the field.
- milton shumba - not his day with bat or ball however captained really well. Made changes at the right time and not afraid to bring himself on which others were going for a few

What i liked most was probably the energy and enthusiasm in the field, guys were up and about and encouraging each other...despite it not having been an overly successful tour to date.

On another note, Roche didnt field but did bat but retired hurt. His leg is still an issue

I'll be up here for thursdays match as well.

Ming

Post by Ming »

Heard that breakfast is still too difficult to organize...boys given 10 dollars and told to fend for themselves.

Can anyone confirm this?
Peterhouse U14C 4th change bowler and no. 10 batsman (but only because Aaron didn't have a bat).

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Thanks for the update auszim. Hope Roche gets back to full fitness soon.

pariah
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by pariah »

Ming wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:14 pm
Heard that breakfast is still too difficult to organize...boys given 10 dollars and told to fend for themselves.

Can anyone confirm this?
10 bucks per meal or per day?

Robbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by Robbo »

Thats a disgrace. Australia is not a 3rd world country, and should at least provide basic refeshments.
When I played club cricket there ,admittedly a few years back now, we were shocked that nothing whatsover was provided. When we asked where we could get 'tea' after 60 overs in the field we were told " you poms can fxxcking fend for yourselves" . Sounds like nothing has changed. Though hopefully they have scoeboards now, ... they didnt even bother with that when I played there and we had to guess the score. It wasnt all that long ago...

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

$10 won't get you far in Australia that's for sure.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

auszim

Post by auszim »

i'm not going to comment one way or the other for obvious reasons. However if you follow 'Zimbabwe School Cricket' on facebook then the comments from the match posts will give you an insight. And some photos sent from members of the touring party to the admin.

Ming

Post by Ming »

Dunno what happened at the ground regarding refreshments and food. I'm talking about team breakfast before the match. If what I heard is true, some tour managers need to be sacked pronto.
Peterhouse U14C 4th change bowler and no. 10 batsman (but only because Aaron didn't have a bat).