SA vs Zim - Boxing Day rumour

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
TapsC

SA vs Zim - Boxing Day rumour

Post by TapsC »

http://www.sacricketmag.com/proteas-pla ... oxing-day/

Alviro is convinced Zimbabwe is getting the boxing test gig.. dont know how reliable he is and if true dont know how we are goong to fit in Afghanstan if we have a tri series in Bangladesh as well. I must say if we have been given the opportunity then Afghanistan must either wait or we play them early december.

Honestly thought Pakistan would have been the opponent

TapsC

Re: Afghans planning to play their first test v Zim at Sharjah

Post by TapsC »

Zim only makes sense in terms of crowd numbers. Considering that there are millions of Zimbos in SA a holiday test could get crowds. Maybe they also dont want am extremely hard test considering that India will be touring so they would be looking to use us as a warmup. Giving it to Afghanistan would maybe get a bigger TV audience. For the better game Pakistan.

pariah
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by pariah »

TapsC wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:07 am
http://www.sacricketmag.com/proteas-pla ... oxing-day/

Alviro is convinced Zimbabwe is getting the boxing test gig.. dont know how reliable he is and if true dont know how we are goong to fit in Afghanstan if we have a tri series in Bangladesh as well. I must say if we have been given the opportunity then Afghanistan must either wait or we play them early december.

Honestly thought Pakistan would have been the opponent
TapsC wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:14 am
Zim only makes sense in terms of crowd numbers. Considering that there are millions of Zimbos in SA a holiday test could get crowds. Maybe they also dont want am extremely hard test considering that India will be touring so they would be looking to use us as a warmup. Giving it to Afghanistan would maybe get a bigger TV audience. For the better game Pakistan.
I told you Tristan didn't know what he was talking about --- viewtopic.php?p=108431#p108431

Anyway, the only edge Pakistan would have over Zimbabwe is with regard to TV rights extra sales. But without wanting to be too offensive, potentially having 13 Muslims in a cricket pitch over a festive period(South Africa has a record by the way :lol: ), isn't going to excite the sponsors, so advantages with regard to ZImbabwe is enough to offset the two and make it even.

So I still stand by my view that only ENG, AUS and IND tours are more profitable for SA to host than Zimbabwe. Politics in part have made it difficult with some cricekt bosses sucking up to pressure from the ECB, but I think they are slowly realising that isolating Zimbabwe will affect SA more.

After all, Zimbabwe is South Africa's biggest trading partner in Africa, and they could not do anything to His Excellency's wife except to grant her immunity.

Conant

Post by Conant »

TapsC wrote:
I don't know if crowd numbers can can ever be a factor here. Most of those millions in SA are preoccupied with survival and really couldn't give a hoot about the cricket. Many are even ashamed to be associated with their home country, though that might be a demographic that doesn't exactly watch cricket either. Maybe the expatriates whites perhaps? We shall see.
Don't really know what to make of hhm's claim that a Zim tour/game is commercially lucrative, sound like all his other stances that veer to the left.

I for one am just glad to get an invite and not embarrass, to hell with everything else. :)

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

pariah wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:28 am

So I still stand by my view that only ENG, AUS and IND tours are more profitable for SA to host than Zimbabwe.
Actually by my calculations, a ZIM tour to England would be more lucrative to the ECB than the Ashes + India tour combined. But the ECB refuses to host ZIM because no bank in the UK has that much room in their safe for so much cash.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

totoro

Post by totoro »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:52 pm
pariah wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:28 am

So I still stand by my view that only ENG, AUS and IND tours are more profitable for SA to host than Zimbabwe.
Actually by my calculations, a ZIM tour to England would be more lucrative to the ECB than the Ashes + India tour combined. But the ECB refuses to host ZIM because no bank in the UK has that much room in their safe for so much cash.
:lol: Fantastic post!

pariah

Post by pariah »

Conant wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:55 pm
TapsC wrote:
I don't know if crowd numbers can can ever be a factor here. Most of those millions in SA are preoccupied with survival and really couldn't give a hoot about the cricket. Many are even ashamed to be associated with their home country, though that might be a demographic that doesn't exactly watch cricket either. Maybe the expatriates whites perhaps? We shall see.
Don't really know what to make of hhm's claim that a Zim tour/game is commercially lucrative, sound like all his other stances that veer to the left.

I for one am just glad to get an invite and not embarrass, to hell with everything else. :)
The poor or average white or Indian person in South Africa doesn't attend cricket matches either. This is South Africa. What kind of people(of all races) do you think attend mid-week matches as opposed to going to work? Rugby and cricket are two very different sports. The poor or average white man saves up for and attends the rugby match. Cricket is not that simple.

Long story short, you have no idea how many wealthy or above middle-class cricket loving Zimbabweans stay in South Africa.

Besides, don't you think it's rather silly to rubbish something that can and probably will quute easily be confirmed just a few weeks from now?

Conant

Post by Conant »

pariah wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:57 am

Long story short, you have no idea how many wealthy or above middle-class cricket loving Zimbabweans stay in South Africa.

Besides, don't you think it's rather silly to rubbish something that can and probably will quute easily be confirmed just a few weeks from now?
What on earth are you on about, I didn't "rubbish" the idea that Zim might be getting an invite from CSA.

I stated that I'm puzzled by your assertion that a Zim tour to SA is lucrative.

I really don't know what you talking about there, chap!

pariah

Post by pariah »

Conant wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:04 am
What on earth are you on about, I didn't "rubbish" the idea that Zim might be getting an invite from CSA.

I stated that I'm puzzled by your assertion that a Zim tour to SA is lucrative.

I really don't know what you talking about there, chap!
I didn't speak about an "invite". I spoke only about the merits of CSA hosting ZC.

You misunderstood then. In any case, by "confirmed in a few weeks" that meant you will know after the first match already if it will be lucrative or not. Even before that due to media coverage and ticket sales. SA's TV Rights were secured a long time ago so that won't be too much of a factor, and the Supersport-SABCSports cricket deal means advertising won't be a factor.

eugene

Re: SA vs Zim - Boxing Day rumour

Post by eugene »

Hosting Zimbabwe isn't really lucrative for anyone, except maybe Pakistan in Pakistan.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes