SA vs Zim - Boxing Day rumour

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
TapsC

Re: SA vs Zim - Boxing Day rumour

Post by TapsC »

Don't see us surviving a day/night test with the kind of attack SA has but it would be a massive opportunity for the boys. It would require a lot of changes for me. Picking the lineup would be harder than ever if it's a green track because we have guys who play pace better like Hami,Mire and Chamu but absolutely struggle against spin. Then you also have guys like Ervine who is very shaky at the beginning with that outside edge coming into play against pace as well as Waller whose foot movement is not so good against pace. PJ is also shaky against pace. Williams plays spin better but can be bounced out of the game. So if we do get it there are a lot of things to consider when picking the lineup otherwise we might get absolutely rolled over if we pick the team which played in Sri Lanka

pariah
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by pariah »

I don't see the Proteas scoring much against a Zim Test attack of Panyangara, Chatara, Shingi and Wellington, especially at St Georges. Whom can they target?

They won't pick Philander for this game. None of their 145kph quicks Rabada, Duanne ad Morkel will be effective on this deck. Maharaj wil be tough to handle, but like Wellington he'll keep runs very quiet.

This will be just like most Logan Cup decks. Shingi, Panyangara and Chatara have the right medium pace, experience and discipline to thrive there. Plus it will be a Day/Night Test. We saw how Lakmal, Philander and ABbott were more deadly than Rabada on that St Georges deck. They also bowled more overs than the spinners Herath-Maharaj.

Proteas have a problem with a partner to open with Elgar. I have a feeling AB might be forced to play, with Amla sitting this one out. AB won't want to bat higher than four. So it means a Markram and TdB at 2 and 3. I can really see Panyangara and Chatara doing some serious damage here with that new ball. Plus that attack won't leak runs to an Elgar-Bavuma partnership. There's every chance that they might even make Elgar captain with Faf sitting this one out for Ramela. He's a brilliant FC batsman.

Possible Proteas XI: Elgar, Markram, TdB, Bavuma, AB, Faf(c), Klaasen(wk), Maharaj, Rabada, Duanne, Morkel

This is one deck not to play Cremer in. Doesn't offer enough turn but is flat enough to score big in. If you're a part-timer or lack discipline forget it. Can easily go at 6-7 rpo here. Taibu, Streak and that Pakistani can ignore my free advice at their own peril. I think they might want to give some overs to Hami too.

This will be closer than many people think. Very close. You underestimate Zimbabwe's Test bowlers, which I find sad. They are far more experienced and competent than many international seamers doing the rounds today. Even their stats prove it.

Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

pariah wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:43 am
I don't see the Proteas scoring much against a Zim Test attack of Panyangara, Chatara, Shingi and Wellington, especially at St Georges. Whom can they target?

They won't pick Philander for this game. None of their 145kph quicks Rabada, Duanne ad Morkel will be effective on this deck. Maharaj wil be tough to handle, but like Wellington he'll keep runs very quiet.

This will be just like most Logan Cup decks. Shingi, Panyangara and Chatara have the right medium pace, experience and discipline to thrive there. Plus it will be a Day/Night Test. We saw how Lakmal, Philander and ABbott were more deadly than Rabada on that St Georges deck. They also bowled more overs than the spinners Herath-Maharaj.

Proteas have a problem with a partner to open with Elgar. I have a feeling AB might be forced to play, with Amla sitting this one out. AB won't want to bat higher than four. So it means a Markram and TdB at 2 and 3. I can really see Panyangara and Chatara doing some serious damage here with that new ball. Plus that attack won't leak runs to an Elgar-Bavuma partnership. There's every chance that they might even make Elgar captain with Faf sitting this one out for Ramela. He's a brilliant FC batsman.

Possible Proteas XI: Elgar, Markram, TdB, Bavuma, AB, Faf(c), Klaasen(wk), Maharaj, Rabada, Duanne, Morkel

This is one deck not to play Cremer in. Doesn't offer enough turn but is flat enough to score big in. If you're a part-timer or lack discipline forget it. Can easily go at 6-7 rpo here. Taibu, Streak and that Pakistani can ignore my free advice at their own peril. I think they might want to give some overs to Hami too.

This will be closer than many people think. Very close. You underestimate Zimbabwe's Test bowlers, which I find sad. They are far more experienced and competent than many international seamers doing the rounds today. Even their stats prove it.

Zimbabwe Possible XI : 1. Hamilton Masakadza 2. Ryan Burl 3. Craig Ervine 4. Brendan Taylor 5. Sean Wiiliams 6) Sikandar Raza 7) Peter Moor ( WKB) 8) Graeme Cremer 9) Nathan Waller 10) Kyle Jarvis 11) Kyle Bowie

pariah

Post by pariah »

Just been to look at the stats for the best partnership at St Georges because I reckoned it would have been the traditional dour Kirsten-Kallis combo.

I was wrong. It was Elgar and Faf! On the face they're the reincarnation of those two, so I was not that much off. :D

Either way it was a dull draw against West Indies in a slightly rain-affected match. - http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/1150 ... ds-trophy/

Jacques does eventually come up though in a 1999 Test against England during a partnership with Jonty in which they were both not out. That's after a 30-ball for 1 run in the 1st innings. Jacques 85 not out from 260 balls in 6 hours(just four 4s ... eish he could be boring!).

It's no wonder Zulu often looked like Glenn Maxwell in that lineup. Like driving a Lambo around those Boleros somewhere in Punjab. He was probably fueled more by frustration than natural talent. I would lose my mind too. I reckon that's why Gibbs took weed. :D

pariah

Post by pariah »

Black Mamba wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:39 am
Zimbabwe Possible XI : 1. Hamilton Masakadza 2. Ryan Burl 3. Craig Ervine 4. Brendan Taylor 5. Sean Wiiliams 6) Sikandar Raza 7) Peter Moor ( WKB) 8) Graeme Cremer 9) Nathan Waller 10) Kyle Jarvis 11) Kyle Bowie
:o :shock: :? I hope they pick that team! I'd love to see have coffee with Streak the morning after the match. Force your best Test batsman to again open despite having a horrific record opening. When the Proteas are done with them, maybe Ireland can host them for their debut Test too.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

pariah wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:52 am
Black Mamba wrote:
:o :shock: :? I hope they pick that team! I'd love to see have coffee with Streak the morning after the match. Force your best Test batsman to again open despite having a horrific record opening. When the Proteas are done with them, maybe Ireland can host them for their debut Test too.
More fake news. Burl isn't Zim's best Test batsman.

firebreaker

Post by firebreaker »

Black Mamba wrote:
pariah wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:43 am

Do you think Zimbabwe will play so many whites in one lineup?

pariah

Post by pariah »

firebreaker wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:06 pm
Black Mamba wrote:
Do you think Zimbabwe will play so many whites in one lineup?
Don't act surprised.

They played 6 recently in Craig, Sean, Burl, Malcolm, Moor, Cremer. If Jarvis and Taylor were available that would have made it 8 (but would they have won that series?)

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

pariah wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:52 am
Black Mamba wrote:
Hamilton is not ZIM's best test batsman. At the moment he's not even in the top 5 and would be behind Cremer and Tiripano.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

So, there's breaking news, however bizarre it is!
South Africa to host Zimbabwe for a FOUR-day day-night Test in Port Elizabeth on Boxing Day, though Test status subject to ICC approval
Tristan Holme on Twitter: https://twitter.com/tristanholme/status/

Quite ridiculous really. Why make it a 4 day "test" and bring all the uncertainties in? If you can roll over Zim in 2 and a half days, why bother whether it is a 5 day proper test or 4 day?
Last edited by CrimsonAvenger on Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.