Brendan Taylor Away Stats

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
L.S

Re: Brendan Taylor Away Stats

Post by L.S »

The irony of him telling us we clutch at straws is quite humouring.

pariah
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by pariah »

Thanks eugene. You've basically confirmed it haven't you. It's not possible to include neutral stats under "away". Next time take it up with ESPN Cricinfo not me. Have a great afternoon. :D

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

In matches not played on home turf, BRMT is well worth having in the team, yes.

In matches played on home grounds BRMT is worth having in the team.

Thankfully BRMT is coming back and all fans who actually want Zim to win some of the time are pleased.

eugene

Post by eugene »

pariah wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:04 am
Thanks eugene. You've basically confirmed it haven't you. It's not possible to include neutral stats under "away". Next time take it up with ESPN Cricinfo not me. Have a great afternoon. :D
Yes I have confirmed it. With two clicks one can combine away and neutral games to get a more reliable picture of a players form away from home. I hope you will undertake a more honest statistical analysis next time. We all make mistakes, you will learn from this one.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

pariah

Post by pariah »

eugene wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:12 am
Yes I have confirmed it. With two clicks one can combine away and neutral games to get a more reliable picture of a players form away from home.
Why are you combining? There is a reason they are structured to be separate. Why did they separate them if they amount to the same thing and to do otherwise amounts to dishonest statistical analysis? You questioned and criticised the stat I posted based on the fact that I was "doctoring" them yet you have failed to prove that I doctored them, but gone on to doctor them yourself.

Case in point, Kumar Sangakkara scored 4 hundreds in the CWC, I think they were all consecutive if I'm not mistaken. However, they don't fall under his away record, they fall under his neutral record, purely because he scored virtually all of them against teams which were not a "home side". What do you call a hundred he scores against India during a Triangular in Australia? This is common sense!

Quinton de Kock is another wonderful example. In ODIs he has an overall average of 43 in 85 matches. But he averages 55 at home (7 centuries) in 27 matches, 42 away (4 centuries) in 39 matches, and just 29(1 century) in 19 matches neutral. If we apply the twisted eugene logic of treating neutral in the same boat as away, his average drops to 37.

Pakistanis have had their entire careers under neutral record, and no one really knows just how good/bad some of them might have been had they actually played at "home" in Pakistan. None of them accept that those are home stats. To them they are away stats, and an injustice for them personally and otherwise(same applies to Afghanistan). Every four years those other players whose countries qualify have the "privilege" of playing in neutral ground.

Hami was hardly ever picked in CWCs, so he never got that opportunity much. All we know is that Hami averages 25 away, but averages 33 in neutral ground - more than his career ODI avg of 29. He also scored Zimbabwe's highest score against a Full Member in a live rubber during the 2015 CWC against SA who were among the best 2-4 attacks of that CWC tournament(Chibhabha being responsible for the 2nd highest, also in that same match).

Even if I indulge your reasoning eugene, Taylor's scores in Zimbabwe first 3 matches of the CWC were 40(vs SA), 47(vs UAE) and 37(vs WI) - decent scores, but nowhere near match-winning nor underlining match-winning ability away. In all 3 matches, the opposition had posted totals of 339, 285 and 372 respectively, so batting was easy, and not once did Taylor cross 50 batting at a very comfortable number 4 position. How often do Zimbabwe play an ODI Series longer than 3 matches? If the team's best batsman is putting up such scores away, then there's no hope of even winning a series away, and similarly ZIM were out after that WI result. Even by this measure, Taylor clearly struggles to have an impact away. Even for the u19s, Taylor flopped early in the tournament and only came alive in a dead rubber. Again we discussed these things long ago in the archives. Almost anyone including the famous Sean Williams can look like a million dollars in a dead rubber!

At the end of the day, would I pick Taylor in the XI at home, - absolutely, away - certainly, in neutral ground - of course, but would I ever trust him away? NEVER, and with good reason! There was no reason or basis for you to argue this point. Neutral ground will never be away ground! It's not necessary to argue with me or objective independent stats just to avoid having to make a basic obvious admission. Someone here tried that and resorted to using Dav Whatmore's record for BD and SL to qualify his abilities as a "Zimbabwe" coach. In a way, you are attempting to do the same. I'm ok with that because you're entitled to your own take on things, but just don't say I'm wrong when I'm right, and it's you who is factually in the wrong. Like BRM, stick to things like correcting an age(while overlooking to correct Jongwe's), or Jemisi who questions something pasted under the wrong heading despite all the info being there, or that other fellow who illogically jumped at the red/white ball reference when the player in question has never played a Test for Zimbabwe before. Beyond that, then you have to doctor, just as you and our BD friend have done.

It's so sad to see that guys will argue and mock a copy and paste Cricinfo article simply because they don't like Chigumbura and don't want to acknowledge his success. You use me to mask your natural dislike for these players and their successes or plaudits. If your interpretation of my posting facts about certain players, and questioning their salaries is that I hate them, then so be it if that makes sense. Some guys don't question my criticism of Mpofu, Hami, Mawoyo, Chamu etc because you already feel that way so the matter ends there. However, you will question and adopt a siege mentality where certain players are concerned, even though the overwhelming evidence is that Zimbabwe cricket has gone backwards, plummeting to embarrassing levels because of that very personnel, who have also been missing as match-winners in those few highs during this rot.

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

Hey Hhm you're wrong buddy 8-)
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

I have watched hundreds of ODI matches ( maybe more ) and I for one have NEVER seen the broadcasters show a players 'neutral' record when talking about how a batsman is playing home versus away.

Looking at it in a 'cricketing' view a players away record is when he is playing AWAY FROM HOME regardless of who is versing. Playing 'away' is a test of the batsman to perform in foreign conditions.

Looking at it from Cricinfo's point they have the third option of a 'neutral' venue due to their search engine settings, it has nothing to do with any of the crap Hhm is going on about.

I really liked the part how Hhm said that "Hami scored the highest score against a top side in a live match"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

So much desperation to paint his favoured players in a better light, disregarding the fact Hami flopped for the remainder of the tournament and it was left to BRMT & Williams to fly the flag.

And if the India v Zimbabwe game was 'dead' why did India play their strongest side ??

Maybe instead of trying to diminish the heroics of BRMT you should instead put the microscope of the Captain of that World Cup Elton Chigumbura who hid down the order at No.8 and barely bowled himself !!! He didn't pass 50 once and only took 1 wicket. You've labelled Cremer a "coward" many times for far less.

When BRMT took over as captain he scored back to back 100's at better than a run a ball to lead from the front, he should have had the captaincy taken from in the first place.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

pariah

Post by pariah »

https://www.sportskeeda.com/cricket/sta ... es-cricket
Neutral venues equalise the winning percentages of both the competing sides and unlike home conditions, don’t shift the odds in favour of the host nation.

Teams crave for home turfs to sneak past their opposition. Spin-heavy attacks desire for spitting cobras, a potential highway is dreamt of by batsmen and pacers would possibly want live green grass all over the turf to question the dancing skills of batsmen.
Scoring 80 in Australia against a South African pace attack is much tougher than scoring a hundred against an Indian "attack" in Australia. No cricekt fan could ever argue against that. Secondly, to attempt to equate scoring a hundred against India in Australia, to scoring a truly away century against India in India during a bilateral is ludicrous! Statistically, logically or even casually one cannot make a comparison. Not by a long shot.

Even Kevin Pietersen has just one ODI century in India after 21 matches. Jayasuriya had 1 in 25. GIlchrist 1in 20. Arjuna and Steve Waugh have zero ODI centuries in India after 23 and 20 matches respectivelyIt will never be the same, and cricinfo didn't merely structure it that way and neutral=away! Let's put this to bed.

EDIT: In the last 10 years, only 25 players have scored ODI centuries in India. Just 7 have scored 2. Only AB has scored more than 2 (5). India won the world cup they hosted didn't they? You can't and should never elevate neutral to away.