Elton Chigumbura among the very best T20I batsmen in the world

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
pariah
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Elton Chigumbura among the very best T20I batsmen in the world

Post by pariah »

Chigumbura shows India what they lack
http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/ ... india-lack

Glenn Maxwell, Shahid Afridi, Elton Chigumbura, Aaron Finch. What's the answer to this connect-the-dots question?

They are the only four batsmen to score 500 or more runs in T20 internationals at a 150-plus strike rate. Chigumbura isn't as big a name as the other three, but he joined their ranks on Saturday, when his unbeaten 26-ball 54 against India lifted his strike rate from 147.51 to 150.59.
Elton Chigumbura Is Truly World Class!!!
Elton Chigumbura Is Truly World Class!!!
WorldClassElton - Copy.png (27.1 KiB) Viewed 2699 times
As the table shows, Chigumbura's hitting stats compare favourably with some of the best in the game, but the one number that is truly remarkable is his six-hitting frequency: he clears the boundary once every 11.04 balls, which is the second-best rate in that list behind Chris Gayle.

Chigumbura hit seven sixes in his innings against India - and only one four - and his method was simplicity itself, based, much like Gayle's, on stillness. Not for him the quicksilver darts around the crease of a Maxwell or an AB de Villiers. Instead, he stood upright, bat up like a baseballer, kept his head as still as possible, and established a stable hitting position with small, decisive foot movements. The only premeditated movements he made were to step out of his crease to the spinners or to step back in his crease against the quicks to give himself a better chance of getting under yorkers or low full-tosses.

As his hitting record shows - not his batting record, which says he only averages 21.25 - Chigumbura's method has worked over 45 matches, against all kinds of attacks. His record against the traditional top eight - all Test-playing opponents minus Bangladesh - is actually better than his overall record.

Had one Indian batsman matched Chigumbura's hitting, they would probably have won at a canter.

But they did not have a Chigumbura in their side. They have never really had one. Applying the cut-off of 500 runs, no Indian batsman has scored as quickly as him, with Yuvraj Singh's 136.95 sitting on top of their strike-rate charts. Lower the cut-off to 200 runs, and only two batsmen, Yusuf Pathan and Virender Sehwag, have scored at a 140-plus strike rate.

India's squad on this tour has plenty of batting quality, but no real T20 hitter. MS Dhoni had the tools to be one in the early part of his career, when T20 was still taking its baby steps, but his T20I record - a strike rate of 121.69, a four every 12 balls and a six every 27 balls - shows he hasn't been one for quite some time. The definition of hitter, moreover, has more to do with approach than ability. Chigumbura's method is based on maximising his six-hitting potential. Dhoni's is based on calculation, hard running, and only really taking high-risk options in the 'slog overs'.

A hitting-centric approach only works in T20, but given how fast the format is evolving, it might become the only approach that works in T20. When that happens, India will need to find a Chigumbura or two.
Last edited by pariah on Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

pariah

Re: Elton Chigumbura among the very best T20I batsmen in the world

Post by pariah »

Only players like Utseya and Chigumbura have been praised this much on Cricinfo, and been statistically analysed this favourably. Great article to recall, and still quite recent.

With that in mind, plus Vusi and Elton going ok in theT20s, yet are incredibly outside national team selections, this would be worth rememering for ZC, particularly since these two, along with the other matchwinners - Jongwe, Chisoro and Madziva continue to be inexplicably sidelined.

If rumours are true that 33 year old Brendan Taylor was brought back and paid upfront all his fees, while easily Zimbabwe's best u19 in over 20 years Luke Jongwe(now 23) is being abandoned to the Australian wilderness, then things have really turned for the worst! I pity Zimbabwe.

Wangdue_333

Post by Wangdue_333 »

HahahahahhaπŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

pariah wrote:If rumours are true that 33 year old Brendan Taylor was brought back and paid upfront all his fees...
BT is 31, hhm. If you perpetuate fake news about people's ages then how can we be sure you aren't doctoring their stats as well?
Your posts used to be so well reasoned and widely respected, but I think we can all agree that your carelessness with the facts in the last few days is profoundly disappointing and very worrying.

pariah

Post by pariah »

brmtaylor.com admin wrote: ↑
Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:31 am
BT is 31
True that. He's going on 32 and certainly not 33.

pariah

Post by pariah »

carelessness with the facts
It's a pity no one including yourself can point out those incorrect "facts" which is even more worrying.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

pariah wrote: ↑
Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:40 am
It's a pity no one including yourself can point out those incorrect "facts" which is even more worrying.
There's no need for anyone to point them all out - you do it for us every time you put something in bold.

pariah

Post by pariah »

Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:58 am
There's no need for anyone to point them all out - you do it for us every time you put something in bold.
Except they have tried and done some of the craziest things in an attempt to discredit stats that don't belong to me. Even when it's easier to just acknowledge and accept facts as they are, the approach is deflection, sarcasm and insults.

Is anyone here even allowed to think out loud that Heath Streak actually has a poor record for Zim so far???

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

pariah wrote: ↑
Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:40 am
I've pointed them out many times but you just ignore the posts once you realise you're wrong :lol: :lol: :lol:
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Mueddie28

Post by Mueddie28 »

With that in mind, plus Vusi and Elton going ok in theT20s, yet are incredibly outside national team selections, this would be worth rememering for ZC, particularly since these two, along with the other matchwinners - Jongwe, Chisoro and Madziva continue to be inexplicably sidelined.

If rumours are true that 33 year old Brendan Taylor was brought back and paid upfront all his fees, while easily Zimbabwe's best u19 in over 20 years Luke Jongwe(now 23) is being abandoned to the Australian wilderness, then things have really turned for the worst! I pity Zimbabwe.
[/quote]

Chigumbura, M Waller , Mire, Madziva are suitable for t20 cricket
Sean William & Craig Ervine are more suited One Sayers & test