Zimbabwe Rising Stars became the 5th domestic team as the domestic Season 2017-18 fixtures are out

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
The Robot
Supports: Mountaineers

Zimbabwe Rising Stars became the 5th domestic team as the domestic Season 2017-18 fixtures are out

Post by The Robot »

Great To See Youths Getting Chance :)

21640957_825812354253773_961017819531198861_o.jpg
21640957_825812354253773_961017819531198861_o.jpg (92.95 KiB) Viewed 3250 times
Robo to rule :oops:

Black Mamba
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Re: Zimbabwe Rising Stars became the 5th domestic team as the domestic Season 2017-18 fixtures are out

Post by Black Mamba »

Associate T20 ?

The Venues in the domestic cricket indicates, ZC are ready with venues for the ICC Qualifiers 2018

Harare
Bulawayo
Kwekwe
Mutare
Takashinga CC
Old Hararians

Googly

Re: Zimbabwe Rising Stars became the 5th domestic team as the domestic Season 2017-18 fixtures are out

Post by Googly »

Takashinga is a disaster area. Apart from the club house, and surrounds, which are in terrible condition, there's a ridiculously dangerous dip in one of the tracks that makes it unacceptably dangerous for batsmen. I think it might be a tectonic plate boundary.

pariah

Post by pariah »

MERGE THREADS???
https://www.zimcricketforums.com/viewto ... ead#unread

This Robot mulfunctions at times and tends to split threads. :D

Harare-based Rising Stars added to Zimbabwe domestic set-up
Zimbabwe's domestic set-up will return to a five-team structure with the introduction of a new outfit called Rising Stars. In its first year, the squad will be made up of players who travelled to the UK as part of an academy under the watch of Tatenda Taibu, the convener of selectors, this winter. The squad includes four Zimbabwe internationals - Ryan Burl, Carl Mumba, Tarisai Musakanda and Richard Ngarava.

Along the way, Taibu identified many potential internationals, including Tinashe Kamunhukamwe, who scored more than 1000 runs including seven fifties and a hundred across the tour, legspinner Brandon Mavuta, who topped the bowling charts with 54 scalps, and Blessing Muzarabani, a two-metre-tall pacer whose speeds neared 140kph and who Taibu believes has "all the raw ingredients to become a destructive opening bowler at the highest level".

"In the case of Burl, Mumba, Musakanda and Ngarava, it was about them learning the trade of being a professional cricketer, what it takes to succeed at the highest level and then putting that into practice. I'm confident they developed during their time with the academy, time will tell."

pariah

Post by pariah »

A complete overhaul of the structures has seen many former players, including Taibu, return to the fold. The academy side that will form the new Rising Stars team was largely his brainchild. "Last year, I was thinking about player pathways and how there seems to be a drop-off after Under-19 cricket," Taibu told ESPNcricinfo. "The academy proposal was my way of solving this, and I was grateful that my employers shared my vision to help us get where we are now."
Still on that article link, this is again very poor journalism.

First of all, nothing has been overhauled. Changing team names, having large idle spaces in your domestic cricket calendar and picking seniors in your A/XI is not overhauling any structure. It's destroying it. That's why Jongwe and Diplock(?) went to Australia to play pub cricket.

Secondly, key personnel remain in the very same positions, and one would argue, they have even more power now.

Lastly, this was not Taibu's idea. Chingoka said it several times in the past. Bvute repeated it. So do Makoni, Mangongo, and a number of the former players and other coaches. Even fans here have often alluded to it.

If as a journalist you're too lazy to dig up quotes, to use the word "largely" does not mean you're excused from acknowledge the owners of the idea. Just acknowledge the fact that Taibu had contacts in the form of Carra and other links he had from the clubs he played for, and that made logistics easier. But overall they played very very poor opposition, whereas here in SA I could have organised games for them against much tougher recognised names, and thye would have been better for it. A lot of time and money was wasted on this tour. I doubt a BD, NED or SCO cricket board would have done something like this, and I have much doubt that those guys like Chingoka and Bvute would have agreed to something of such low quality.

Games against Varsities and Provinces in SA would have helped these boys not this nonsense tour largely against casual cricketers most of whom would crack a spot in most top SA cricekt clubs.

NickG
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by NickG »

Wow, not sure what the negativity is here. From what I have seen in the past 12 months Zimbabwe Cricket is making huge strides. New MD, new national coach, new convener of selectors, series win in Sri Lanka, Taylor returns to the fold, increased first-class competition, successful Academy tour (who cares whose idea it was - it happened) playing eight county matches, MCC, academies and league rep sides - 48 matches in total. My suspicion is the Rising Stars first-class side will perform well against their domestic counterparts. If they do, then it proves it was a successful idea and programme. If they don't, then surely there is nothing wrong with expanding the opportunities for good Zimbabwean cricketers to perform at a higher level.

I guess some people always like a good moan...

The Robot
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by The Robot »

pariah wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:22 am
MERGE THREADS???

This Robot mulfunctions at times and tends to split threads. :D

Harare-based Rising Stars added to Zimbabwe domestic set-up
Zimbabwe's domestic set-up will return to a five-team structure with the introduction of a new outfit called Rising Stars. In its first year, the squad will be made up of players who travelled to the UK as part of an academy under the watch of Tatenda Taibu, the convener of selectors, this winter. The squad includes four Zimbabwe internationals - Ryan Burl, Carl Mumba, Tarisai Musakanda and Richard Ngarava.

Along the way, Taibu identified many potential internationals, including Tinashe Kamunhukamwe, who scored more than 1000 runs including seven fifties and a hundred across the tour, legspinner Brandon Mavuta, who topped the bowling charts with 54 scalps, and Blessing Muzarabani, a two-metre-tall pacer whose speeds neared 140kph and who Taibu believes has "all the raw ingredients to become a destructive opening bowler at the highest level".

"In the case of Burl, Mumba, Musakanda and Ngarava, it was about them learning the trade of being a professional cricketer, what it takes to succeed at the highest level and then putting that into practice. I'm confident they developed during their time with the academy, time will tell."

The attached thread is 6 months ago, made according to the thoughts given by Tatenda Taibu, this thread is after ZRS received the approval from ZC as the fifth side in domestic cricket.
Robo to rule :oops:

pariah

Post by pariah »

The Robot wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:26 am
The attached thread is 6 months ago, made according to the thoughts given by Tatenda Taibu, this thread is after ZRS received the approval from ZC as the fifth side in domestic cricket.
No worries. It was a harmless comment. ;)

Woul dbe nice if they were merged though, the titles are pretty much the same :)

zimfan1

Post by zimfan1 »

Is the domestic still due to start on Wednesday?

zimfan1

Post by zimfan1 »

According to the players the Logan Cup will start on Wednesday. Will be very interesting to see who turns out for the Rising Stars.

Wonder if they will give them some experienced players such as BT, Mayowo or Raza to help mentor them.