Dean at Stumps: Brendan Taylor

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Re: Dean at Stumps: Brendan Taylor

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

This would get funnier when both Taylor and Regis play in our next test series, and Taylor does not keep and plays at 3 / 4 citing workload, and Regis keeps and anyway opens, contradicting Taylor's thoughts. How else can they fit them both in? They better start thinking about it now. This could be the contradiction of the century.

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:44 am
This would get funnier when both Taylor and Regis play in our next test series, and Taylor does not keep and plays at 3 / 4 citing workload, and Regis keeps and anyway opens, contradicting Taylor's thoughts. How else can they fit them both in? They better start thinking about it now. This could be the contradiction of the century.
The difference is that BT is in the side because he's the best batsman in the Country whilst Regis is in the side due to him being 'the best keeper'.

So BT bats where ever will suit him best and Regis will bat where they can fit him I guess, he might himself down @8 or he might have to open again

If we go with a 8-3 lineup again we might see this side

Chamu
Hami
BRMT
Ervine
Williams
Raza
Waller / Moor
Regis wk
Cremer
KJ
Chatara

That side looks much better with both bat & ball compared to the side picked for the Sri Lanka game.

Disclaimer* I'm putting forward a 8-3 lineup after listening to the BT interview, from what he said I think that's the way they'll go.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

I think Waller has to open if he wants to stay in the side. There can't be room for him down at 8.

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

I just think Regis hasn't kicked on in his last few games and I'm afraid the West Indian pace attack might bully him a bit. We can't have a situation where we have 7 batsmen 1 keeper and 3 bowlers with the keeper not being 100% reliable to at least hold an end.

A lot of times we find ourselves 100-5 or 140-6 and we have been saved by that extra batsman but based on current form I think PJ might have a case in tests even though he is an inferior keeper because we would have dropped Tiripano as well. Regis is the better keeper but we can expect PJ to scratch out 30 runs from somewhere.

We need everybody to score runs. Dropping Tiripano will also make us a batsman light as I don't think Jarvis or Chatara will score many. That lower order has contributed at least 100 runs in crucial situations of late. It's a real dilemma but a good problem to have unlike recent times where we didn't have the players but now we got 16/17 potential picks.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

I agree with a lot you said there Tapsc but I think the addition of BT gives Zimbabwe more runs up top so we can afford the loss of Tiripano's batting down the order.

Also you're probably a bit harsh on Regis, he can bat and has actually scored some tough runs before in Tests. There's room for both Moor & Regis in the side I chose but not for Malcolm who would be unlucky to miss after Sri Lanka.

Going off the recent A series v the Emerging South African side both Chamu & Regis got 100's so I see both of them playing, if Regis is going to bat down the order then Zim need another opener & Chamu took his chance whilst Chari failed, chamu can also bowl some overs which will come in handy if they go 8-3.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

I think the answer to this problem is to get Raza opening in Tests (which he did successfully in BD from memory).

In an 8-3 team I don't think you can play both of Moor and Waller, unless you sacrifice someone like Musakanda which I don't think is wise. Musakanda probably has the highest ceiling (as a batsman) of the three of them and we need to get game time into him.

Mueddie28

Post by Mueddie28 »

brmtaylor.com admin wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:09 am
I think the answer to this problem is to get Raza opening in Tests (which he did successfully in BD from memory).

In an 8-3 team I don't think you can play both of Moor and Waller, unless you sacrifice someone like Musakanda which I don't think is wise. Musakanda probably has the highest ceiling (as a batsman) of the three of them and we need to get game time into him.
If Mire is the future opening batsmen in ODis why not bat him 7th or 8th in Test & put game time & develop his bowling....Quick runs with the tailenders is useful too in test matches...Forcing Talyor to keep wicket might help , because Chakabva & PJ Moor don't deserve a spot in the squad ahead of M Waller & Musakanda...

pariah
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by pariah »

A lot that I've read are rumours, with very little confirmed officially by ZC itself, or its personnel e.g. Pakistani, Taibu, Streak etc. Which means I stand corrected until then.

ZC effectively gave a 4-year contract to a player(probably the same to Jarvis). So many questions abound.

- This is unprecedented in cricket. Not even brilliant youngsters like Kohli, Smith, Root, Stokes and Williamson, or Qdk and Rabada across the border have such. What health or fitness tests were conducted prior to anything being signed? They are a prerequisite to any insurance, and was any insurance taken? What are the premiums?
- For both how much will they be paid? Do their salaries fall within the current national contract structures. What bracket do their bonuses and allowances fall under? With insurance, how much does that package come up to including insurance?
- Were they paid money up front? As part of advance salaries or singing on fees/bonuses? If so why, and how much?
- Are there any performance-related clauses? If so what are they? What happens when they are/have-to-be dropped from the national team?
- What Provinces/Franchises have they been assigned to?
- What concessions did ZC make in terms of No Objection Certificates to play in other tournaments, and player image rights?
- Will Taylor be forced to keep wicket? If so in what formats?
- Were any team selections or player roles guaranteed or discussed with them(including those pertaining to other players), prior to their committing?
- Discontent within camp is inevitable. It has recently become ZC practice to publish contract grades players belong to, and the corresponding salaries. Over time players have had to earn their contracts, while in this instance other have had them given to them for various reasons. The time will come when those have to be renewed and and published. What plan do ZC have to deal with that. Transparency and openness right now - all cards on the table - or deal with it then?

Crucially, it all goes back to the key question. Based on evalutation of what transpired prior to these signings, and contrasting extrapolations of what was expected with or without them, to justify the value and effort put into this, what is the desired return on investment?

pariah
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by pariah »

Mueddie28 wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:41 am
If Mire is the future opening batsmen in ODis why not bat him 7th or 8th in Test & put game time & develop his bowling
I think there's a strong likelihood Mire will fall away as an opener in ODIs. Players like Chamu, Vusi and Matsi with better tools have battled in that position. I don't think he can sustain it, so will have to drop down. The sooner the better because I thought he looked equally good as a lower middle order batsman say number 5. In the CWC he was either batted way too low(8) waste or way too high(3) ambitious deployment. Otherwise he would have succeeded had they maintained him at 5(again this issue of monopolising that middle order is rearing its ugly head :D ). I still argue that Shane Watson would have been an ODI great had he batted at number 5 throughout, and not as opener. I really fail to see how we can argue that pretty much the only ZIM bastman for close to 15 years (Chigumbura) to be able to smash the very best bowlers in the world during that period across formats, is not able to bat in the top 3 positions, but somehow we believe Mire can, despite all the flaws we've seen. That boggles the mind. At most the WI have discussed Pollard as high as 4 in ODIs, but never higher, unless I'm mistaken. I think that experiment was reserved for a more capable Dwayne Bravo.

Even Ashraful and Paul Stirling - without doubt a class above Mire - have dropped down the batting order. International cricket is a very humbling level. I'm happy to let that experiment continue, but Hami, Craig and Taylor will have to occupy the top 3 positions in the end. I simply don't seeing it succeeding any other way in the long run if those 3 are in the ODI XI.

EDIT: I see Pollard has batted higher at 3 just twice, but looking at the scorecards, only Samuels and Darren Bravo were proper batsmen(unless you want to add Dwyane Smith to that list) :D .

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

pariah wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:09 pm
Matsi with better tools have battled in that position.
:lol:
pariah wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:09 pm
but somehow we believe Mire can, despite all the flaws we've seen.
At least Mire gives a shit and shows some emotion when he's out. Chigumbura had no ticker, nothing. Uninspiring as a captain, molded into an even worse bowler and his batting for the past 4-5 years was nothing short of embarrassing. He probably came good once every 10 innings (no doubt a stat will be coming my way), yet you put him in such high regard and Mire so low.

I'll be really disappointed if Chigumbura is ever in a Zimbabwe shirt again. He's done nothing domestically, no longer bowls and we now have Mire who can do what he did and more.