Thread about Rising Stars train wreck before it happens

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Googly

Re: Thread about Rising Stars train wreck before it happens

Post by Googly »

I know not on topic but the India u19 opener Prithvi Shaw, tiny little guy, is about as good as I’ve ever seen. What an astonishing sublime talent, brought tears to my eyes watching this young man. Watch this space.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Googly wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:16 pm
I had the privilege of watching the England u19 vs India u19 a couple of months ago. These boys are chosen from a massive pool and have unlimited opportunities, games and coaching opportunities. We don’t have one player that comes close to making any of those teams. The problem has to be addressed at junior school. You don’t need thousands of players either, you need to identify the few kids who’ve got the ability and focus on them, it’s a cheat but we don’t have the resources to do anything else. The one thing Zim produces is astonishingly talented sportsmen from a minuscule playing pool, just tap into those guys. In one age group we produced Sam Curran, Eddie Byrom, Nick Welch and Angus Curtis, a truly bizarre alignment of the planets and we lost every one of them, something that, even by ZC’s abysmal record, was dumbfounding.
You mean we won't find the next Shoaib Akhtar in a bush village somewhere?
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

Googly

Post by Googly »

Nope I fear Mr Makoni’s Mberengwa Academy will remain a bottomless money pit with zero return. There’s always the off-chance that one or two decent bowlers may be unearthed and put into one of the cricket playing schools, but there’s absolutely no chance of finding a batsman out there, it just doesn’t work like that.

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

Geez so many negative Nellys here in the forum.

The only point I agree with is that they’ll struggle if or when Tary & Burl aren’t there but it doesn’t really matter they’re not playing for results they’re playing for growth and development.

Before the ZRS started there was no clear pathway for under 19 players to take once they were too old for 19’s. Now there is incentive to stay as they can tour England and play first class cricket.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

zimdan

Post by zimdan »

My opinion is that these young players need to be playing against the best players in order to improve. I don't exactly know what the coaching structure behind the scenes is for these guys but it is far better having them play than sitting on the benches not other franchises.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

zimdan wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:46 am
My opinion is that these young players need to be playing against the best players in order to improve. I don't exactly know what the coaching structure behind the scenes is for these guys but it is far better having them play than sitting on the benches not other franchises.
So when player x feels overwhelmed, uninspired or distrustful of the coach, who does he turn to for advice?
Cousin?
Jha?
Googly?
Mueddie?
Mark vermeulen?

They need to learn on the hop from a champion like Taylor. Picking BTs brain will engage them.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

auszim

Post by auszim »

I think we basically right off the rising stars being competitive for the next two - three years. Not because they are hopeless, but simply because they are an organisation that is literally nine months old. What i would like to find out, and ZC should come out and say, is that once this first class season ends, do the current squad of RS then get drafted back to the other franchises, or do they stay at RS because they have previously played there. Long term that's really the only way i see it as being sustainable, is that after the 2018 ZRS come back from the UK, do they join the 2017 RS and the squad can get picked from 30 players, as opposed to 15. However, that's just for the squad to become competitive, the experience and exposure that this entire squad is gaining is priceless, far much better than carrying the drinks or washing uniforms and kits at other franchises.

What they do need to be aware of is creating a losing mentality. If these kids keep getting pumped every match, it doesn't matter how many posts mashinge makes on facebook or how much he chirps at BT, it will impact their confidence, and given we've only just started to turn the corner in actually being competitive as a national team, the last thing you want is these lads forgetting how to win and becoming the whipping boys.

Re the drain of talent when international duty calls...they'll either postpone the FC fixtures or try and top them up with those that should have but didnt make it last year.

Trials for the next academy start soon...lots of noise around shumba, however the lad is still only 16 and in high school. Personally i would say it would be more benefical for him to be allocated to a franchise, probably RS, and access building him up through there. Coz he will jump ahead of guys like jha very quickly. ZC will obviously make the call with his parents.

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Yes, those are the important questions. How long will they remain "Rising" Stars"?

May be every year, they can split the Rising Stars members into "Risen Stars" and "Faded Stars" and add 2 more franchises :)

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

Taibu himself said he learnt so much from Andy Flower when he went to Takashinga. BT in the rising stars would have been invaluable. Somebody they could rally around in the batting department. Their bowling stock is OK but for me the should have added BT and maybe even an older player who doesn't play for the national team anymore like Vusi. That's where you see the value of a Vusi even though he doesn't make the national grade anymore.

Another way could have been to create a proper 5th franchise like the southern rocks then distribute the kids amongst the 5 teams and make a quota rule where 3 kids have to play a game. All 15 of them would have been drafted that way.

In the end the thing with academies is that out of 15 guys you are probably going to find 4 or 5 guys who make the cut anyway. Not every single u19 player is good enough to go to the next level.thats in any sport. It's just that this is the first year but after 3/4 years they will be a competitive unit.

SpitfiresKent

Post by SpitfiresKent »

Isn't Matsikenyeri the RS coach?