Others to potentially target

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Re: Others to potentially target

Post by foreignfield »

Byrom could do worse than to spend the off-season at home. I suppose his family is still in Zim? Probably beats getting sledged in some Aussie suburb in the same heat and without proper refreshments.

I know that as long as it lasts it will foster the sort of dreams expressed by some above, mirroring the Ballance situation when he played in the Logan Cup, but just like GB it's unrealistic as long as he's doing well for Somerset. My feeling is we will only see him in Zim colours when a) he doesn't establish himself at Somerset (in the next two years) or b) when he turns into a decent County pro but someday realises (six or seven years from now) that he won't ever play for England--everything under the presumption that there is still a Zim side to come back to.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Yes you’re correct. As far as his batting goes I believe he’s turned a corner in England. He’s renowned for having terrible runs of form, the worst ever, and tinkering with set-ups and triggers, but I think he’s in a good place now and will only look at minor adjustments. He’s renowned for being a very slow starter as well, but then plays the odd very attacking innings, I haven’t figured out what makes him tick at all. There’s absolutely no doubting that he has the potential to be a really great player. I’ve seen very few people with more time than he has , and you just can’t teach that, that’s just pure God-given talent. He also keeps his head absolutely still through every shot, it’s picture perfect and makes the game a lot easier. I’ve watched him a lot. The one thing that always makes me laugh is when he gets a free hit, 9/10 times he hits it out the park. Do it more often!!

ZIMFAN

Post by ZIMFAN »

Thanks googly. Anything on if he has any interest in returning?

Googly

Post by Googly »

Same as what foreign said

gargamel
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by gargamel »

From my chat with Eddie its a short stint with the Rising stars and I belive that ZC has a rule that requires the National Coach and Convenor to approve any overseas pro to be invited to play Fc cricket. I personaly think he comes in with a lot of positives Admin wise , No work permit , No need to source accomodation, No need to find a vehicle to get around. On the playing side He is an opener that is needed, Has country experience, Young and with Local Knowledge plus its a way we can monitor and show Eddie that he could have an international career in Zim as the board has been showing its commitment to positive and forwarf moving cricket.
Rainbow Cricket Club First and Always

pariah
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by pariah »

gargamel wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:28 am
I belive that ZC has a rule that requires the National Coach and Convenor to approve any overseas pro to be invited to play Fc cricket
:mrgreen:

Watch Streak and Taibu slice each other up when things head south soon. :D

From the little I know they can't stand each other already so won't be hard.

It's slowly becoming clearer. Pretty sure Taibu has been simply OK-ing any national team player Streak wants, which explains what's been happening/not happening.

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by sloandog »

Not really sure what your problem is with Heath Streak.
pariah wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:42 am
Is this another one of your walter mitty moments? What has given you this impression

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

pariah wrote:

From the little I know
Should have just stopped there bud
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

NickG

Post by NickG »

pariah wrote:
gargamel wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:28 am
I belive that ZC has a rule that requires the National Coach and Convenor to approve any overseas pro to be invited to play Fc cricket
:mrgreen:

Watch Streak and Taibu slice each other up when things head south soon. :D

It's slowly becoming clearer. Pretty sure Taibu has been simply OK-ing any national team player Streak wants, which explains what's been happening/not happening.
You are quite right, you know little. There is no problem between Streak and Taibu at all.

paranoidandroid

Post by paranoidandroid »

Now that ZC seem to be getting back on its feet economically and capable of luring test class players back, is it maybe time to start casting the net a little while for potential targets? The Zimbos who emigrated aren't going to just stop playing cricket in their new countries. Most went to Commonwealth countries where they and their kids will have access to better facilities than they did in Zimbabwe to play cricket.

A guy like Stevie Eskinazi for example, who has a Zimbo father, would be a massive boost to the middle order.

Are we a chance of snaring somebody like him? Should ZC be considering it?