Others to potentially target

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Others to potentially target

Post by sloandog »

So in light of Kyle Jarvis and BRMT making a return to the red, who else do we reckon are being looked at, should be looked at?

In the past 12 months we've also managed to snag the services of Solomon Mire on a more permanent basis, which is great.
There was whispers of a Sean Ervine comeback, but that seems to have either fizzled out or is secretly still being negotiated. Quite frankly, it matters not to me if he returns as there's some good bowling all-rounders coming through now. His batting would still be a massive plus but with our packed middle order where would he actually bat?

So, back to my initial question. Who should be targeted next?

Malcolm Lake, I believe, has now completed University, and hasn't massively lit up the scene when playing FC Cricket this summer. He's done well in the none official games mind, and is an obvious talent. Who else could potentially be targeted?

sloandog

Re: Others to potentially target

Post by sloandog »

Angus Curtis Perhaps?

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

Nick Welch is the big fish now.

If we can lure him back we'll have a top order star for the next 15 years, or until Zimbabwe are stripped of Test status - whichever happens first.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

brmtaylor.com admin wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:54 pm
Nick Welch is the big fish now.

If we can lure him back we'll have a top order star for the next 15 years, or until Zimbabwe are stripped of Test status - whichever happens first.
Yea Welch seems a more likely catch than Byrom. He's yet to secure a county deal.
Lake for sure though

dang8811

Post by dang8811 »

Brandon Gilmour's been released by Gloucestershire it has been announced today. Might he return to Zim?

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

dang8811 wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:36 pm
Brandon Gilmour's been released by Gloucestershire it has been announced today. Might he return to Zim?
Doubt it, he was schooled and brought up in the U.K, and even if he did, he doesn't appear to be a FC cricketer of any significance.

Couldn't hack it at 2nd XI standard I doubt he'd be able to handle most of our FC lads.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Nick Welch should be the big target now.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

Googly

Post by Googly »

I think there’s a good chance Lake may play here next year. He’s a top all rounder, just needs to sort out his cavalier attitude with the bat and knuckle down and grind and he could be exceptional. A little birdy told me at lunch that Ed Byrom is coming back for a few months and wants to play. I’m sure they’d watch him with interest. He’s got a two year contract with Somerset though, which he won’t pass up. It’s cutthroat out there and he needs to do exceptionally well in the next two years or he’ll be released. Nick Welch becomes eligible for county only at the end of next season and is doing time for his passport, he’s the overseas pro at Claremont this season. Surrey are liking him and he’s likely to play the whole season for their Two’s, he needs an exceptional season and he’s in with a sniff for 2019. Nick and Ed are the two good ones, Ed has probably edged ahead on account of the opportunities he’s had, but we’ll be watching Nick closely next season, it’s the big one for him.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Welch, Byrom, and Lake. Isn't there another 2012 U-19 cricketer off in the UK? Or was it just Lake?

Welch and Lake ought to be easy to get. Frankly speaking, if you can get Jarvis back, you can get ANYONE back, so I think Byrom too is a rather good possibility. It might take 2-3 years to get those guys back, but the positive is those guys would then come in just as the Hamiltons, Williams, Chamus, and, Vusis, Eltons are retiring ensuring ZIM have a next generation to go for the next 10 years...and dare I say a much better next generation, at that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

Mueddie28

Post by Mueddie28 »

eugene wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:19 pm
Nick Welch should be the big target now.
How about the other Curran
How is Mupariwa doing in Assuie wasn't that bad during the WC..2015