Provisional Under 19 World Cup Squad

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Googly

Re: Provisional Under 19 World Cup Squad

Post by Googly »

That’s why I said we don’t have enough people coming through to make an annual pilgrimage to the UK so Matsi and Taibu can swan around enjoying themselves. We need to go there with a proper young team that can compete at a higher level. In my view that’s two years to prepare them and to assist in the preparation we need an Academy here. We can’t have Taibu living there and waiting for his charges to provide him with a living in the UK, that’s ridiculous and a complete waste of time and money. If you get Brent, Higgins and Brown and a couple of others to man a no nonsense, disciplined Academy here then we’re talking. I know the last Academy that was in place here that the coaches were complaining about absenteeism and a very casual approach by some of the players, and of course, poor selection. If they get this in place then we have the start of something professional. We also need the younger talents to attend this academy at least twice a week. This is so easy to implement, what’s the delay????

Zero76

Post by Zero76 »

Considering the numerous failed/stillborn attempts to get a cricket academy in Zimbabwe itself running, the fact that Taibu and co actually got the Rising Stars off the ground is cause for optimism. While there are definitely still flaws and areas for improvement, RS seems to have broadly been a step in the right direction.
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

pariah
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by pariah »

zimfan1 wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:05 pm
Zimbabwe U19 World Cup Provisional Squad

Liam Roche (cpt), Wesley Madhevere, Greg Dollar, Milton Shumba, Jayden Schadendorff, Tanunurwa Makoni, Donald Mlambo, Alistair Frost, Taun Harrison, Dion Myers, Nkosilatu Nunu, Jonathan Connolly, Privilege Chesa, Tawanda Muyeye, Kieran Robinson, Makdhum Talati, Dion Mazhawidza, Tinotenda Jakachira, Dane Schadendorff, Tinashe Nenhunzi, Marshall Takodza, Arnold Shara, Robert Chimhinya and Struan Moore-Gordon.

Any thoughts?

Any names missing?
Statistically, Taun Harrison has been decent with the ball, appears to be the bowler the team will most rely on. Mazhawidza, Madhevere and Connolly average, but can provide decent support with the ball. Tinotenda Jakachira and Declan Oldreive(not selected) had the odd good game with the ball though.

Liam Roche is in form so far this year, just a few games, but was terrible last year. So it could be argued that Schadendorff could be the star player and have more potential as an allround package. Strangely underustilised.

Greg Dollar seems overrated. But is it/will it be the case with Shumba and Myers?

Rest would have to be a surprise.

On the face of it, it appears the team is wafer thin. If Mangongo acheieves anything with them the Queen should unilaterally restore ZIM to the Commonwealth and bestow him(and Boycott :mrgreen: ) a Knighthood.

Anyway, I'm going off stats that I half-looked at.

Googly

Post by Googly »

But you said Steve has churned out more world class u19’s than any other coach in history? Should be a duck shoot.
Those stats are scary. When I say the cupboard is bare I get cussed by my cyber friends for being a doomsayer.
There have only been two young batsmen to get really excited about in the last few years and one keeper/batsman but he needs work on his batting but has the ability, and one all rounder. The rest aren’t close.