Final Zimbabwe Test Squad for the Windies Tour

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
tawac
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Final Zimbabwe Test Squad for the Windies Tour

Post by tawac »

Graeme Cremer (captain), Hamilton Masakadza, Solomon Mire, Chamu Chibhabha, Craig Ervine, Brendan Taylor, Raza, Williams, Malcolm Waller, PJ , Regis Chakabva, Mike Chinouya, Chris Mpofu, Kyle Jarvis, Tendai Chisoro, Nyasha Mayavo
No room for the youngstars Burl, etc, Tiripano and the Phantom batter Mayavo makes the final team on the back of a 18.05 FC average and zero performances of note with the bat. Perhaps he is just an apprentice.
CHRISTOPHER MPOFU: 'The problem was fear of failure. I used to think that when I played, if I didn't do well in one game, I would lose my place for the next one but now I've let go of that'

TapsC

Re: Final Zimbabwe Test Squad for the Windies Tour

Post by TapsC »

https://www.google.co.zw/amp/www.cricke ... 3fmode=amp

Unless this rule of the 12th man being allowed to keep is being implemented in this series and Taylor is going to take the gloves whilst faking fatigue to get 30 over breaks, then this Mayavo character should be nowhere near the team. Absolutely senseless decision.

CholeZimbo

Post by CholeZimbo »

selectors really have a headache there,

Masakadza
Chibhabha
Ervine
Taylor
Williams
Raza Butt
Moor(wk)
Cremer
Chisoro
Jarvis
Mpofu

pariah
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by pariah »

I think we should focus on the key issues - those "spinners", forcing Hami to open and Malcolm Waller batting 7/8 while bowling just 2/3 overs. That's where there was always going to be a problem no matter who was picked.

Cremer, Williams and Raza were always going to bowl plenty overs and they'll be thoroughly hammered. No matter what planet you come from Chakabva as a Test batsman is arguably on par with Williams and Raza, while as a keeper he's streets ahead of Moor. So whether he was picked as a #3/#4 batsman, or keeper at 7, he's in on merit. He is easily Zimbabwe's best 30 years and under Test batsman by a distance!

Anyway, let's see how it goes.

Hami
Chamu
Craig
Taylor
Williams
Raza
Chakabva(wk)
Malcolm
Cremer
Mpofu
Jarvis

------------
Mire, Chinouya, Chisoro, PJ, Mayavo(wk)

Doesn't matter about the madness in picking Mayavo, Chisoro and Mire because they're not and will never be the issue. They were actually picked precisely to avoid giving the selectors headaches. A Burl/Musakanda would have forced the selectors to drop a "favourite" non-performing batsman, while a proper spinner would have threatened the very same players who are in as batsmen but not scoring runs while leaking as strategically overused "part-timers".

tawac

Post by tawac »

pariah wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:52 am

Hami
Chamu
Craig
Taylor
Williams
Raza
Chakabva(wk)
Malcolm
Cremer
Mpofu
Jarvis

------------
+1 on team selections but the selectors have been known to pull a shocker much often than not. Chinouya could easily get the nod ahead of Jarvis. Seeing as he is no longer bowling in the second innings of the tour match.

#Rhinomania
CHRISTOPHER MPOFU: 'The problem was fear of failure. I used to think that when I played, if I didn't do well in one game, I would lose my place for the next one but now I've let go of that'

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

No real surprises in the side I don’t think apart from Mayavo

I’ll be disappointed if they prepare a flat pitch and pick 8 batsman to draw the game, I’d rather see a ‘sporting pitch’

I’m still not convinced Mire will be left out
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by foreignfield »

This is not going to happen, but anyway ... I'm a bit undecided whether to include Chamu as opener, with Raza back in the middle order at the expense of Waller.

The Don
Raza
Hami
Ervine
BT
Williams
Chakabva (wk)
Waller
Cremer
Jarvis
Mpofu

Zero76

Post by Zero76 »

Hami
Chibhabha
Ervine
BT
Raza
Williams
Mire
Chakabva (WK)
Cremer (C)
Jarvis
Mpofu

Not that optimistic about this starting XI, but it's about the best I could do with the squad selected. Not convinced about Chamu or Mire being there, but didn't see any point in selecting Malcom Waller.
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

Zero76 wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:41 am
Hami
Chibhabha
Ervine
BT
Raza
Williams
Mire
Chakabva (WK)
Cremer (C)
Jarvis
Mpofu

Not that optimistic about this starting XI, but it's about the best I could do with the squad selected. Not convinced about Chamu or Mire being there, but didn't see any point in selecting Malcom Waller.
I like this side but Malcolm scored over 100 runs in the Sri Lanka test and also a century in the warm up match so expect to see him there batting @ 7 or 8.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Zero76

Post by Zero76 »

jaybro wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:51 am
Zero76 wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:41 am
Hami
Chibhabha
Ervine
BT
Raza
Williams
Mire
Chakabva (WK)
Cremer (C)
Jarvis
Mpofu

I like this side but Malcolm scored over 100 runs in the Sri Lanka test and also a century in the warm up match so expect to see him there batting @ 7 or 8.
Yeah Waller did do well in that Sri Lanka test, and will probably retain his place. But I still think his batting is frustratingly inconsistent and with Raza in the team his offspin isn't especially useful.
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder