Final Zimbabwe Test Squad for the Windies Tour

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
pariah
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Re: Final Zimbabwe Test Squad for the Windies Tour

Post by pariah »

tawac wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:14 am
+1 on team selections but the selectors have been known to pull a shocker much often than not. Chinouya could easily get the nod ahead of Jarvis. Seeing as he is no longer bowling in the second innings of the tour match.

#Rhinomania
Jarvis WILL play. If Jarvis does not play then Jarvis definitely refused to play.

Streak and Taibu have an easy one with him - if he is horrible they'll just say he was under-done and still needs time to adjust back to Tests (same with ODIs after this). If he comes right then it's a master-stroke. Perfect position to be in.

Stat alert:
ZBQ2 - Copy.png
ZBQ2 - Copy.png (41.5 KiB) Viewed 1672 times
No way any other seamer is getting in ahead of Jarvis based on these stats. Plus it's Mpofu's home ground. Even Duanne Olivier survived selection because of that.

Only relevant question is "What will Cremer's use/non-use of Hami tell us about Streak, particularly if he still bats Hami as an opener?" Hami being pushed out!

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

1 H Masakadza
2 Chibhabha
3 C Ervine
4 Taylor
5 Williams
6 Raza
7 Chakabva (wk)
8 M Waller
9 Cremer (c)
10 Jarvis
11 Mpofu

pariah

Post by pariah »

STRIKE RATES AT QSC:
Mpofu: 1 wicket every 10 overs
Jarvis: 1 wicket every 10 overs
Cemer: 1 wicket every 50 overs
Sean: 1 wicket every 13 overs
Raza: 1 wicket every 30 overs

PROJECTION
Mpofu: 20 overs at 3.00eco 2/60
Jarvis: 16 overs at 3.44eco 1/55
Cremer: 35 overs at 3.93eco 0/138
Sean: 12 overs at 4.76eco 0/57
Raza: 7 overs at 4.12eco 0/29

West Indies at end of day one: 339/3

Any bets guys?

Might come down just a bit with Chami/Malcolm sharing Cremer's overs. Even more if Hami bowls more. Overall 320 should still be on.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

pariah wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:19 pm
STRIKE RATES AT QSC:
Mpofu: 1 wicket every 10 overs
Jarvis: 1 wicket every 10 overs
Cemer: 1 wicket every 50 overs
Sean: 1 wicket every 13 overs
Raza: 1 wicket every 30 overs

PROJECTION
Mpofu: 20 overs at 3.00eco 2/60
Jarvis: 16 overs at 3.44eco 1/55
Cremer: 35 overs at 3.93eco 0/138
Sean: 12 overs at 4.76eco 0/57
Raza: 7 overs at 4.12eco 0/29

West Indies at end of day one: 339/3

Any bets guys?

Might come down just a bit with Chami/Malcolm sharing Cremer's overs. Even more if Hami bowls more. Overall 320 should still be on.
Only if you wish hard enough.

Andybligzz
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by Andybligzz »

Don't like this 8 and 3 lineup one bit . This is how I would pick The eleven . 1. Hamilton 2 . Raza 3 . Ervine 4 . Taylor 5 . Williams 6 . Chakabva 7. Waller 8 . Mire 9 . Cremer 10. Jarvis 11 . Mpofu . Would love another pace bowler but selectors disagree. Raza needs to open because chibabha has had that many chances and proven he's not international standard , yes he is good against the quic ks but I just feel someone like mire down the order and only down the order could slap some tired bowlers around the park as well as Waller . In this team you have plenty of handy bowlers who could rotate and give the main 3 a spell . Still don't rate the chances of taking 20 wickets but who knows its West Indies and they can be putrid on any given day.
The Zimbabwe Cricket team have found Ebola in one of their members, but they're not concerned because they have also found Ebatsmen and Efielda!

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Andybligzz wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:29 pm
Don't like this 8 and 3 lineup one bit . This is how I would pick The eleven . 1. Hamilton 2 . Raza 3 . Ervine 4 . Taylor 5 . Williams 6 . Chakabva 7. Waller 8 . Mire 9 . Cremer 10. Jarvis 11 . Mpofu . Would love another pace bowler but selectors disagree. Raza needs to open because chibabha has had that many chances and proven he's not international standard , yes he is good against the quic ks but I just feel someone like mire down the order and only down the order could slap some tired bowlers around the park as well as Waller . In this team you have plenty of handy bowlers who could rotate and give the main 3 a spell . Still don't rate the chances of taking 20 wickets but who knows its West Indies and they can be putrid on any given day.
That's a good point. I never used to think this about Chibhabha, but of late it seems whenever the spinners come on it's only a matter of time before he's clean bowled or lbw'd.

I wouldn't be disappointed to see Raza opening. If we open up that extra spot though, I'd probably be inclined to play both Chakabva/Moor instead of Chakabva/Mire because if we are purely talking about batting then Moor's Test record says he shouldn't be dropped.

pariah

Post by pariah »

Andybligzz wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:29 pm
Still don't rate the chances of taking 20 wickets but who knows its West Indies and they can be putrid on any given day.
They almost took 20 wickets against Sri Lanka in the 2nd Test last year. Otherwise it's been bordering on criminality and abuse.

viewtopic.php?p=111458#p111458

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Mire will get his test cap, I strongly feel that they will take a punt on him. I really hope he does well and this experiment goes as planned because that means exciting times ahead!

Unfortunately, I also feel Chisoro will get his cap too, while he has proven himself to be nowhere near what the longer format needs. Just because we need a second spinner, we might end up playing him.

That means we may not be generous to hand out 3 test caps in the same game, so we might be spared of the Mayavo madness in the first test. But don't rule out him getting his cap in the second test.

Two out of these 3 are definitely getting capped in this series, according to my gut feeling. Mire is the only one I'm excited about. I was running a fantasy cricket test league, my opening combination would have been Mire and Tiripano :)

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Mire I can see them taking a punt on, I just don't think it'll happen with Chisoro though. Cremer + Williams/Raza means there's plenty of spin in the side already.

pariah

Post by pariah »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:00 pm
Mire will get his test cap, I strongly feel that they will take a punt on him. I really hope he does well and this experiment goes as planned because that means exciting times ahead!

Unfortunately, I also feel Chisoro will get his cap too, while he has proven himself to be nowhere near what the longer format needs. Just because we need a second spinner, we might end up playing him.
Someone in the technical team seems dead set on them playing so might happen.

Possibly Chisoro for Waller and Mire opening instead of Chamu. Moor will be the key though. If he plays and does well, then it's unlikely that both Mire and Chisoro will get a cap this series