Who gets paid what in cricket

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
pariah
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by pariah »

http://www.thecricketmonthly.com/story/ ... in-cricket
The headline is that Steven Smith, the Australia captain, will earn US$1.469 million this year, while his Zimbabwean counterpart Graeme Cremer stands to earn $86,000. The top Indian earners in international cricket are Virat Kohli, the captain, who pulled in approximately $1 million this year, and coach Ravi Shastri, whose annual salary of $1.17 million is comparable to that of any of the game's top players.

The figures are based on international cricket, and do not take into account player earnings from T20 leagues, other domestic engagements or endorsements. Most boards (see below*) pay their players a share of their commercial rights, while others don't, or distribute them differently. The pay figures in this piece do not include the various bonuses players are paid for wins and individual performances. Factoring all those in might shuffle the rankings, but that is likelier to happen at the top of the list. And if anything, it will increase the disparity in earnings between top and bottom.

What is crystal clear is that the richer cricket has become, the more inequality it has bred. That, you might say, is a modern truism of the game, but as the calendar is being fundamentally reshaped by domestic T20 leagues and the riches they offer players, the magnitude of that inequality should serve as a clear warning to the international game.

In most cases salary figures and contract details are not made available publicly; the information in this article, culled from their contacts by our correspondents from around the globe, strives to be as accurate as is possible.

Indian riches
Don't be fooled by the central contract figures. If you look only at the contract retainers (and not match-fees payments), Australia and England pay their top players nearly four and three times as much as India - where the top-grade contract is worth $311,745 - and even cash-strapped CSA pays its top player more. But the total payout an Indian player gets is a combination of his contract money and a percentage of the BCCI's gross revenue, calculated on the number of matches he has played in one calendar year. So Kohli, who has a Grade A contract, would earn his retainer plus his share from the 13% of gross revenue. Although no definite numbers for the last two years are available, Kohli's estimated income from his contract payments and his share of the board's revenue has been about $1 million - which places him in the top band of cricket's earners. If you factor in his earnings from the IPL and multiple individual endorsements it ends up making him probably the richest cricketer in reality.

A raw deal for Pakistan?
They won the Champions Trophy in June, were the No. 1-ranked Test side as recently as October last year, and have only just lost their first series at home in ten years, but Pakistan's players are among the worst paid in world cricket.

A player in Pakistan's top contract bracket will be on an annual retainer ($74,014) that is marginally less than the top contract for an Ireland player ($75,000). Let that sink in (Ireland's top salary retainer is also higher than those of Bangladesh and Zimbabwe). A player like Sarfraz Ahmed, Pakistan's captain, will end up earning more in a year, of course - and he quadruples his base salary in 2017 - because he plays more often and plays across three formats.

To some degree the low retainer is compensated by a more generous match-fee structure that elevates them to a mid-ranking side in terms of pay. But Pakistani players will argue their plight is compounded by a lack of access to the richest domestic league in the sport, or an especially bountiful payout from the PCB's commercial rights.

The years of exile have played a part no doubt, as has India refusing to play them (that has also significantly reduced the true value of a broadcast deal reportedly worth $150 million over five years). The cost of running an excessively vast domestic calendar is another drain.

-------

Heath Streak???

TapsC

Re: Who gets paid what in cricket

Post by TapsC »

I am 100% sure Taylor and Jarvis are on at least 100k.. it's all very interesting.. the gap between the big guns and the rest is unacceptable. They will always remain on top of that.. they need to distribute the money better. Teams like Zim and Ireland should be getting enough to fund their domestic leagues too.. that's where it all starts.

A little birdy told me Makhaya is on about 6/7k a month. Don't know how true that is but I would expect Streak to be slightly more if true. But I think all three of them fit into that 20k Whatmore was earning.. That same little birdy told me Makhaya lost most of his fortune in a business that went bust in SA too. He might actually need this job if this is true.
Last edited by TapsC on Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

TapsC wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:02 am
I am 100% sure Taylor and Jarvis are on at least 100k.. it's all very interesting.. the gap between the big guns and the rest is unacceptable. They will always remain on top of that.. they need to distribute the money better. Teams like Zim and Ireland should be getting enough to find ther domestic leagues too.. that's where it all starts.
I disagree. Communism doesn't work.

We will always get by when our best of the best are paid accordingly, we have limited funds and a BT is so much more valuable than a remebrance Nyathi.

Besides, the remembrance nyathis of the world need to know that if they make it, there IS good money to be made in Zimbabwe cricket.
How many kids are going to preservere in the game when they can't earn more than 60k and get smashed in the process? I earn more than that. I'm sure alot of forum members do too.
When the ceiling isn't high no one can dream and aspire. They just go to England
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

eugene

Post by eugene »

Even the top cricketers make comparatively little compared to other sports. In basketball for example, an import player can make $300,000 per year tax free in Lebanon. The figures in the NBA, Euroleague, etc are far higher.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

pariah

Post by pariah »

TapsC wrote:
I am 100% sure Taylor and Jarvis are on at least 100k.. it's all very interesting.
Makes no sense because Chatara and Panyangara have better stats. Have they been paid anywhere near that?

How can a player with no pedigree in white ball cricket like Jarvis be on such money?

Anyway, it's all speculation. But Whatmore and Streak being on top dollar for being molested by Associates is not speculation.

These precedents will hurt their compatriots in future. A Gary Brent or Blignaut will in future be paid peanuts because those before them did nothing with more.

This is when ZIMDOGGY will suddenly wish for communism to return. :lol:

Once again I think people fail to see that this time ZC will be irreversibly broke in a few years. Only able to afford to give central contracts to just 6/7 players just like the other Associates(you'll soon get your wish Kriterion, and deep down I think you're the only person who knows what's finally happening to ZIM cricket and you're elated).

The denialism is affecting people's view of things here. Financially cricket will never get better again in ZIM but worse!

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

pariah wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:59 pm
TapsC wrote:
I am 100% sure Taylor and Jarvis are on at least 100k.. it's all very interesting.
Makes no sense because Chatara and Panyangara have better stats. Have they been paid anywhere near that?

How can a player with no pedigree in white ball cricket like Jarvis be on such money?
Malcolm Waller's FC and Test stats are better than Vusi Sibanda's. Does that prove he is a better batsman?

pariah

Post by pariah »

brmtaylor.com admin wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:33 pm
pariah wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:59 pm
TapsC wrote:

Malcolm Waller's FC and Test stats are better than Vusi Sibanda's. Does that prove he is a better batsman?
Of course!

We've had that discussion several times even though you;re being naughty about it.

What is also accurate is that at four, probably only Taylor has a better Logan FC record than Vusi, so your argument cannot hold because malcolm has never opened for great amounts of his LC and Test career which impact on his overall FC record.

Likewise, Maruma and Mutumbami should have better Logan Cup records in the middle order than Malcolm and Craig(whose was very poor batting low middle order in the LC). Technically even Matsi's Logan Cup record in the middle order should be on par with Malcolm and Craig. Williams hasn't done himself any favours with strange losses of fomr in the Logan Cup, but he's close to Maruma and Mutumbami. Taibu is way ahead of all of them in that area in the LC.

It's just a pity we can't pull a position summary, but I can guarantee you of those facts.

Similarly no one has a better record than Hami at 3. Vermeulen could have threatened but too much of his career was spent opening and at 4. he;s closes challenger is actually Forster Mutizwa.

Overall, I think Gavin Ewing beats everyone by quite a long shot.

Anyway, the question about salaries still stands. Don;t try to run away from it through underhanded means. Broad and Jimmy, plus Darren Bravo faced the same problems. No matter how good you are, you can't be playing one format and expect to be on a higher salary than the rest. Even Milelr faces the same predicament. We're talking principles and ethics here never mind who you like or don't like.

Chatara has been and will continue to be a far much superior allround package than Jarvis. Does it make sense for Jarvis to be on a higher salary than him??? Don;t come with the he's injured because same question will apply historically as in - What's the highest salary Chatara has ever been on? I think everyone will agree that he's been brilliant for Zimbabwe!

Googly

Post by Googly »

I would hazard a guess that Byrom is on 2k starter pack at Somerset and probably has a housing and car allowance. The cost of living is double that of England so he’d need to be offered 7-10 on a three year deal to momentarily pause in his stride. Let’s see how he goes first.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Fancy salaries for the top guys and liveable ones for the fc guys is do-able if you get rid of the 30 or so hangers-on doing sweet f*^% all. They’re the problem. I’m predixting a disruption in proceedings b cause of salary issues amongst the Fc guys. No one is ever happy for long here.

aydee

Post by aydee »

Googly wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:44 pm
2k starter pack at Somerset
2k a month, maybe. A junior office pen pusher in cricket admin would make that.