Is the current (Test) side the strongest since 2004?

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Conant
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Re: Is the current (Test) side the strongest since 2004?

Post by Conant »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:49 pm
jaybro wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:09 pm
Chatara is a huge loss plus also having Mumba, Shingi & Panyangara not available for one reason or another leaves our pace attack pretty weak.

Batting wise very strong
I've never rated Panyangara. IMO, he's lucky he only played the handful of matches and retired with the world class stats that he had. His only attributes were accuracy and nibbling the ball of the seam. I wouldn't guess that would be enough at 130 clicks to trouble batsmen apart from hapless BD/PAK batters on a sporting pitch. Thats just my take on Pany.
I think you've heard a few of us (or probably just me and hhm) point to comparisons in statistics between him and Heath Streak. They ere very similar; in fact Panyangara's marginally better in both Test matches and First class. (Those with interest in this post might help me draw a comparison graph. )

Since you might argue that Panyangara didn't play enough Test matches (9), the number of First Class matches he played (50) are enough sample for a definitive comparison.

Panyangara shades Streak from economy rate, to average and even more crucially, strike rate! In both Test and First Class!

Since you bring his pace or lack of into question, you might be reminded that for most of his career, Heath Streak bowled at an average speed of 130km/hr too, and at the latter end (the South Africa vs Zim Test match in Pretoria, 2005), was still effective at 126km/hr.

No mate, even if our opinions are emboldened by the newly discovered revelation that his attitude is poor, your cannot argue with those numbers. You are wrong about Panyangra.
Attachments
panya.PNG
panya.PNG (197.01 KiB) Viewed 1118 times
Last edited by Conant on Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

Jarvis seems to bowling in the early 130s too now.

I think this will be one of the strongest Zimbabwe teams when people look back. Andy Flower was a once in a life time player from a Zimbabwean perspective. A lot of the other guys who played back then were very average just like the guys now. A lot of people tend to forget that.

Googly

Post by Googly »

They played to full houses and those stats were against the top sides. You’re sounding like Pariah with that statement.

Conant
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Conant »

Googly wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:14 am
They played to full houses and those stats were against the top sides. You’re sounding like Pariah with that statement.
What does a full house have anything to do with those stats?

Streak played against top sides? Panyangara led the weakest side in years that regularly got flayed for 450. Including a second Test 540 against Sri Lanka 2004 in which he posted best match figures of 3-100 despite playing with more seasoned professionals Dougie Hondo and Blessing Mawhire.

You are sounding extremely biased, unreasonable and in denial.

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

i think the old team were carried to a degree by Flower and Streak.

The rest at times were making up numbers.

If you put those two in the current team, I believe it would rival the current best team of 1999.

an attack of Streak/Jarvis/Chatara/Cremer with Vitori/Mumba in the wings would DEFINITELY be our strongest attack at least.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*