Is the current (Test) side the strongest since 2004?

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Kriterion_BD

Is the current (Test) side the strongest since 2004?

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Since the rebellion in April 2004, I think this is categorically the absolute strongest ZIM squad that has been fielded. The only person missing is Chatara, and I think Shingi would be a better option than Mire (but I could be wrong). I would say Mawoyo but he also hasnt had a score since 2013.

Oh yeah Mumba is a big loss, but I guess he's injured. Any word when he might be back?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Re: Is the current (Test) side the strongest since 2004?

Post by eugene »

Mawoyo at his best would have strengthened this side, I don't think anyone can claim to be confident about whoever ends up opening.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

Flakeman

Post by Flakeman »

Chatara is a loss greater than most are realizing, I feel. The guy is damn quality !

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

Chatara is a huge loss plus also having Mumba, Shingi & Panyangara not available for one reason or another leaves our pace attack pretty weak.

Batting wise very strong
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

Chatara is part of this team barring his injury though. And with him in it this is our strongest team in more than a decade.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

How many games did the trio of Houghton, Goodwin, and A Flower play in? Can't be more than 15 or so.

How would the current lineup featuring Ervine, Taylor, Williams, Raza compare to that?

Of course A Flower alone was probably greater than than the current lineup plus S Ervine and Ballance combined...so maybe the better comparison would be the current lineup vs any previous lineup minus A Flower.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

jaybro wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:09 pm
Chatara is a huge loss plus also having Mumba, Shingi & Panyangara not available for one reason or another leaves our pace attack pretty weak.

Batting wise very strong
I've never rated Panyangara. IMO, he's lucky he only played the handful of matches and retired with the world class stats that he had. His only attributes were accuracy and nibbling the ball of the seam. I wouldn't guess that would be enough at 130 clicks to trouble batsmen apart from hapless BD/PAK batters on a sporting pitch. Thats just my take on Pany.

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

That could be said of most of our bowlers though. We are always rating them in context.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Jemisi wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:55 pm
That could be said of most of our bowlers though. We are always rating them in context.
Jarvis is defintiely the most talented red ball seamer since Streak, IMO. His county stats prove it.

Chatara has or had the pace and still has the height. Panyangara never had either.

Shingi is probably my favorite ZIM quick...just bowls good balls.

Mumba has had a promising enough start to suggest he has potential to make it at this level.

I cannot for the life of me understand the hype behind Madziva. Tiripano I might pick for his batting, but the batting is now quite strong and deep.

The Robot
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by The Robot »

Richard Ngarava & Mazhawidza has bright future. Ngarava plus point is, he is left arm quick, all that he needs is discipline
Robo to rule :oops: