[Match Thread] 1st Test, Zimbabwe vs West Indies

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Re: [Match Thread] 1st Test, Zimbabwe vs West Indies

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:19 am
I think Mire should look to attack if that is his natural game. Hami can anchor from the other end.
I don't want to put the mockers on him, but if Mire gets something between 30-40 and gets out at 1/50 or so you could say he's done his job. Personally I'd rather they take it slowly and wear down the WI bowlers, but I don't think Mire plays that way. If he's going to keep hitting we can just hope that he provides a score of some substance.

I agree batting last could be an issue, that's why this innings is so important. We must build up a solid lead in this innings; and as I mentioned in a previous post we've gone for the 8-3 lineup for exactly this reason. We bat down to number 9 so the batsmen have to deliver.

Andybligzz
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by Andybligzz »

Great days play enjoyed it so much great all round effort , windies would be worried with the long batting lineup. Mire needs to get us off to a flyer then allow the middle order to set a big lead. Massive props to mpofu , cremer and Williams and most of all Regis was a star love the little man ! Exciting times , the boys have done themselves so proud but plenty of hard work left , great stuff.
The Zimbabwe Cricket team have found Ebola in one of their members, but they're not concerned because they have also found Ebatsmen and Efielda!

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Yes Chakabva was great behind the stumps. The moment I saw his reaction (he turned to the square leg umpire, saw it was referred to the third umpire and then he leapt in celebration) I knew the batsman was gone. He was totally convinced, so he could obviously see some paintwork behind the batsman's foot.

And a few solid catches too.

I'd love for the top and middle order to put on some heavy runs so that when Chakabva bats it is free of pressure and he can make some good runs himself.

Andybligzz
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by Andybligzz »

He reminds me of taibu so much , hope he gets some runs he deserves it . Great team player and his glove work was class , all the hard work Taylor and cremer said hes been putting in behind the scenes seems to have come off in his glove work , great to see. Really excited for
Day 2 going to be watching every ball 😊
The Zimbabwe Cricket team have found Ebola in one of their members, but they're not concerned because they have also found Ebatsmen and Efielda!

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:17 am
Wow what a day for ZIM.

Tremendoua effort...I think the SL series might turn out to be the watershed moment.
Don't want to get too far ahead of ourselves but I wanted to ask which game/When did you know that there was finally hope for Bangladesh? Was it the zim whitewash?
There is something about this first day that gave me that feeling that I can watch a game and won't be feeling completely hopeless again.

Let's see how today goes. Got a feeling this might be a low scoring game

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Who made the post earlier that Zim just looked to be having fun?

I noticed it as well. The team huddles they all looked like they were having a good time, and then some chant before they ungrouped. With BT, outside of a debut I don't think I've ever seen someone who looked happier to be playing Test cricket. Looked like a man happy to having fun with his mates again. And Cremer looked like he was having the time of his life; I hope someone got some screenshots of the look on his face every time the WI misread a googly :lol:

A fun day of cricket for any Zimbabwe fan! Hope we continue the momentum today :D

CholeZimbo
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by CholeZimbo »

I trust Mire, more like a David Warner, Dhawarn opener. Patience will be key. If we bat through today we are definitely in with a big chance. Ervine and Willy are very good against spin esp vs leggies and left armers. I'm thinking 350 is achievable, besides we did it in SL with Herath in the team. 400 will be excellent, tipping Ervine to ton up. 200 run lead , it will be harder to lose. #excited bring on day 2!

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

TapsC wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:38 am

Don't want to get too far ahead of ourselves but I wanted to ask which game/When did you know that there was finally hope for Bangladesh? Was it the zim whitewash?
I would say it was the NZ home series in 2013 when Bangladesh held the Kiwis to a 0-0 draw on a pair of flat pitches. We had earlier drawn a Test in Sri Lanka but that could have been a fluke. We also drew 1-1 in Harare, the last time Jarvis turned out for ZIM. But the two draws vs NZ signaled a new dawn for BD for a number of reasons:

a) BD had always played on flat pitchs at home, but always lost, often by an innings
b) in both Tests BD had to recover from different obstacles...in the first Test we were quickly 8-2 after NZ had piled on 469. In the second, NZ had a first innings lead of 150+, but we got in a comfortable position (ahead by 100+ with 7 wickets in hand) before rain ruined the 5th day.

In 2015 we were down by 296 runs vs Pakistan, but fought back for a draw, and then vs South Africa at home we were in position for possibly our first Test win in the first test with a first innings lead of 80. Our very next Test series after tha was the 1-1 draw vs England.

But it was that NZ series in 2013 that was he real landmark, IMO.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

matland
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by matland »

Good morning from a cool and windy Bulawayo.
Getting ready to head to Queens for day 2.
Yesterday was awesome,crowd numbers were not far off the famous "flag day" during the New Zealand test,in other words not too shabby for Bulawayo.
Expecting a lot more people in today with it being sunday and especially off the back of yesterdays performance.
As mentioned earlier the boys were vibey yesterday,seemed like they were enjoying and feeding off each other,definately a different vibe in that side.

Anyone notice Dickwella coming in at 11 and Wiliams getting Cremers wicket according to the scoreboard?
Gave us a good giggle for a while.
One annoying thing was the club games scheduled for BAC were cancelled because all the covers and groundstaff were at Queens,even though the Mat Cricket Board are well aware of league fixtures,It was nice to have those players supporting Zim but being cricketers they should be playing!

Enjoy today wherever you are watching from