[Match Thread] 1st Test, Zimbabwe vs West Indies

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: [Match Thread] 1st Test, Zimbabwe vs West Indies

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

brmtaylor.com admin wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:54 pm
I wouldn't be against an unchanged XI - nobody was awful.

Waller? He's probably most at risk - could he be saved because he was absolutely sold up the river by Taylor?
Mpofu? No wickets but unless Chatara is available is there anyone better to replace him with?
Question A. Why wouldn't Chatara be fit? he is playing the concurrent logan cup match and is owning souls.

Question B. Given that he is playing, why wasn't he selected in the test? If you your fit enough to play first class then you can play the test.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

I am thinking that Sean may be best relegated to the number 7 type role.

His batting is a bit off, but he is bowling well. At least to the same standard (or close) to Chisoro,Welly etc, but with the huge benefit of having the capability to get a century behind him.

It seems pointless dropping him for a similar player that doesn't offer the extra dimension.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:24 am
I am thinking that Sean may be best relegated to the number 7 type role.

His batting is a bit off, but he is bowling well. At least to the same standard (or close) to Chisoro,Welly etc, but with the huge benefit of having the capability to get a century behind him.

It seems pointless dropping him for a similar player that doesn't offer the extra dimension.
+1 and pretty much what i thought too.
CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:27 pm
Yes, Williams gets in at 8 as a bowler who can bat a bit, he was at many points more accurate and imaginative than Cremer in this match as a bowler, even when Cremer had clearly raised his own game. But he can't be trusted with the bat in tests anymore, so demotion to 8.
He's probably the second best spinner we have anyway looking at the returns of all other contenders in the Logan Cup, and especially looking at his performances in this test. Local knowledge etc. etc.

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Here's some stat: This is only the 7th time in its test history that Zimbabwe has had 40+ opening partnerships in both innings of a test match. There have been only 3 instances of 50+ opening stands in both innings of a test match for Zim.

Goes to show how criminal it was to throw away a decent platform provided by non-openers of the format.

I mean, you could not have asked more on debut from Mire knowing the kind of player he is.

If this was a WI forum, Blackwood would have been crucified. The same, at a lesser level, holds for Williams and Raza for their twin brain fades.

jimbo

Post by jimbo »

Mutizwa for chakbva. This is the most serious injustice in Zimbabwe cricket. 88 and currently 69 not out in the mountaineers current match and the selectors won't touch him. Here is your wicketkeeper in form

pariah
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by pariah »

You're crazy eugene and we've been through all of that over the years.

I don't see why non-performers should be accommodated. I'm prepared to completely drop Mire despite his effort. Raza should be opening, and I'm happy to retain him in that role ahead of Mawoyo. So should Craig.

Raza
Craig
Hami
Taylor
Vusi(c)
Kasuza
Mutizwa(wk)
Shingi
Panyangara
Chatara
Wellington

Mire, Williams, Cremer, Jarvis, Malcolm, Regis, Mpofu OUT!!!

grant

Post by grant »

jimbo wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:07 am
Mutizwa for chakbva. This is the most serious injustice in Zimbabwe cricket. 88 and currently 69 not out in the mountaineers current match and the selectors won't touch him. Here is your wicketkeeper in form
I feel he has been quite unlucky. He definitely deserves a go!

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

Eugene :D

With Williams' workload he could swap with Raza maybe. If you bring in Kasuza for Waller I would have him at 7 for an easier introduction. He is young, has had solid FC years and will have to figure in the team in 5 years time.

Chatara for Mpofu, surely.

Otherwise I think the Mire/Hami combo across formats can go somewhere. They have been delivering at the top together recently. Don't fuss with stuff that is working.

Zero76

Post by Zero76 »

pariah wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:27 am
Raza
Craig
Hami
Taylor
Vusi(c)
Kasuza
Mutizwa(wk)
Shingi
Panyangara
Chatara
Wellington

Mire, Williams, Cremer, Jarvis, Malcolm, Regis, Mpofu OUT!!!
There is so much wrong with this team I am not even sure where to begin. It's a thoroughly bizarre suggestion to bat Craig out of position when there is a promising young opener in Kasuza in the middle order. As for some other choices, Shingi has done nothing of much note recently and neither Vusi or Tinashe have even played at all this domestic season.

EDIT: personally I would stick with Hami and Mire for the time being, but Kasuza is probably next in line.
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

jimbo

Post by jimbo »

Mutizwa currently on 104 not out to go along with his 88 in first innings. He must be picked for second test