[Logan Cup 2017 Round 3] Tuskers v Rising Stars

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
ljriley90

Re: [Logan Cup 2017 Round 3] Tuskers v Rising Stars

Post by ljriley90 »

aydee wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:38 pm
jaybro wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:48 am

I thought this was the biggest mistake in ZC history ?
Going quite nicely, isn't it?

I think the key will be to ensure that this initiative is continued consistently. So that youngsters coming out of the U19s know that there is a pathway they can follow. Without ZRS, if they don't immediately make a franchise squad (and some of those squads have a lot of experienced players inked in), then what do they do?
Is it ZC that pays the players wages?

See her ein England for example Lancashire pay the wages of their contracted county players. I take it the franchises don't actually pay the players?

Is there just two rates of pay i.e one rate of pay for the National team player son central contract when they play a domestic game and then the other players just a get a set match fee from the ZC?

Just interested as to who funds the players wages.

Just thinking for when the FC teams are depleted cos of national selections and someone like a Bonaparte Mujuru who turned out a couple of times for Tuskers last year. Is it even worth it for him financially filling in when they are short? Do these fringe FC players have to work second jobs to top up their income? See a fringe player in the UK would just go and get paid to play local cricket. In some cases £300-£400 per game.

Would the Zim Rising Stars players be getting paid less because ultimately they are younger?

aydee

Post by aydee »

Who knows exactly...

However, the franchises certainly don't generate much, or any, money themselves. So even if it is they who contract the players, the money would have to come from ZC one at or another.

sixes fan

Post by sixes fan »

This gives more evidence to what i have been saying all along, our fc is flooded with useless overrated amateurs jongwe, nyumbu etc .. handirisi should not be playing cricket at all.

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

From what I understand, the 15 or so nationally contracted players are paid reasonably well.

Eeryone below that is on peanuts.

Truth is, those below don't really deserve more than peanuts as the Logan cup level is just on club par with other countries.

Someone like R Nyathi (the forums fav scapegoat for bog average) would only get 100 per game if that, if he moved to a country like England.
So its equitable, and a solid use of low funds.

On the other hand,
The pay disparity causes some real problems as it would foreseeably chase away the players who cant afford to gamble on rising up the ranks. Aliseni seems a recent example of someone that potentially could have been good enough but hasn't got the time to sit around and find out.

I am wondering whether split weekend games are the answer to keep the 'almosts' in the system alongside the elites and the nuffbags.

maybe have a two month long intensive period where they play the whole season accelerated?
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

pariah
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by pariah »

How on earth this Rising Stars win proves me wrong as opposed to adding weight to what I argued is beyond me.

Plenty RS players were already FC players. Some were already internationals. So RS was never going to help those already ",helped" as the intention was. The rest are poor.

Boosting Eagles and a Tuskers side minus internationals was what should have been done with those better players.

They would've easily won this game without Byron and that's a fact. Some have already admitted as much.

I said it when they were close to beating Eagles, them winning or a narrow Eagles victory would hammer the Logan Cup's FC worth.

You said the Pakistani and Taibu brought improvement, I say yhry brought junk. Last seasons Logan Cup was much stronger than this junk. You got piles of useless fixtures, and drove away guys like Panyangara, with Vudi & Tino preferring the commentary box.

Zimbabwe cricket is dying. Actually, it's dead! You would see it but you won't because you're busy defending the indefensible.

foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by foreignfield »

Yep, the Logan Cup was much stronger when we frequently had the XI Nobodies of Kwekwe play the Mutare 3rd XI or no fixtures at all.

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

This young Muzarabani bloke has started well.

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

Funny that in the weakest Logan Cup ever the ‘best spinner’ in Zimbabwe Wellington Masakadza has only Managed 5 wickets @45
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

ljriley90

Post by ljriley90 »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:04 am
From what I understand, the 15 or so nationally contracted players are paid reasonably well.

Eeryone below that is on peanuts.

Truth is, those below don't really deserve more than peanuts as the Logan cup level is just on club par with other countries.

Someone like R Nyathi (the forums fav scapegoat for bog average) would only get 100 per game if that, if he moved to a country like England.
So its equitable, and a solid use of low funds.

On the other hand,
The pay disparity causes some real problems as it would foreseeably chase away the players who cant afford to gamble on rising up the ranks. Aliseni seems a recent example of someone that potentially could have been good enough but hasn't got the time to sit around and find out.

I am wondering whether split weekend games are the answer to keep the 'almosts' in the system alongside the elites and the nuffbags.

maybe have a two month long intensive period where they play the whole season accelerated?
Sounds about right Mutizwa would have come to my club for flights, accommodation and £120 per week and the guy averages 31 in ODI and 40 at FC. If he bowl well enough we would have got him!

Suppose the money earnt in England would convert well into Zim Dollar.