Mangongo casts the net wide for Under-19 World Cup

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Conant
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Re: Mangongo casts the net wide for Under-19 World Cup

Post by Conant »

Googly wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:44 am
So now you’re talking about salary disparities?
I was going to say Steve definitely kneed whatshisface in the groin. What can I say, it was a shit shot :lol:
It was for not sending a message onto the field timeously. No excuses.. a head butt would have been a better option.
He also bombarded PJ and that ended badly. PJ needed to improve against the short ball, but that was probably the wrong way. :lol:
I did say the same thing at the time regarding the message. I think many of us just have a knee jerk reaction towards Steve Mangongo and that jambolic display in Bangladesh that brought abut his downfall was mostly to do with Bangladesh ascendancy although we didn't know at that time.

Doesn't deserve the constant besmirching whenever his name is brought up.

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

This is riveting.

If I knew how to post the gif with Michael Jackson eating popcorn on this forum, I'd do it right now.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

For what it's worth.
I was the first guy on this forum from memory that identified magongo as being a coach that is suited to mentor youths. Something that seems fairly commonly believed now. I think I 'get' him. An emotional and passionate hard working man that is a student of the game despite not having a clue on the field himself.

For me, mangongo seems to have that skillset required as a youth mentor. It is a different breed of cat that's required to mentor youths and be a leader of men. It's no shame.

In mainstream Australian sport (afl and rugby league) it's commonly accepted that a coachs demise at the top level is when he has 'lost the dressing room'. Sometimes this simply extends to a falling out between coach and star player. A perfect example of the last month is when the Gold Coast punted their coach Neil Henry in the NRL based on a difference of opinion between him and star player (ex NFL) star Jarryd Hayne. I can run off many similar examples.

The journalists here are constantly sniffing for those 'coach in trouble, on the outer' stories due to their lack of man management. You'll see it all the time in the first world.

Because it IS man management.

If mangongo was here and he chased out our best player and knee'd another rookie in the balls, he would simply never coach again at any level. He las the luxury of Zimbabwean irreverence behind him.

Now that said, he was scandal after scandal at national level but I have never heard a bad word about him at age group level. There has been no complaints. How team exceeded expectation at the last cup.
I get the feeling that googly has met him a few times based on the above and if googly, for all his suspicions, endorses him then that's very telling.

He has his role. Just isn't at the top level.

As for the Pj moor thing.

From my memory that was from jimmy who watched moor get peppered with bouncers in the nets and he observed it as bullying behaviour at a time that racial tension was high.

Whether mangongo was trying to toughen him up or was sitting in the corner jacking off (like the pawn shop owner in pulp fiction in the Gimp scene) at the white guy getting it handed to him is anyone's guess. Pj has never piblically complained. But then again, why would he in that environment?
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by foreignfield »

I know it's human, but I'm looking forward to a day of intense debates in the forums without anybody telling us all that he was the first to notice/say/post/pick out something either trivial or highly debatable (but presented as facts), and/or patronising other forumites with their know-it-all attitudes.

Conant

Post by Conant »

foreignfield wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:59 pm
I know it's human, but I'm looking forward to a day of intense debates in the forums without anybody telling us all that he was the first to notice/say/post/pick out something either trivial or highly debatable (but presented as facts), and/or patronising other forumites with their know-it-all attitudes.
I think I was the first to call hhm a jerk. ;)

foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by foreignfield »

Conant wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:36 pm
foreignfield wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:59 pm
I think I was the first to call hhm a jerk. ;)

:lol: :lol:

pariah

Post by pariah »

Conant wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:22 pm
I did say the same thing at the time regarding the message. I think many of us just have a knee jerk reaction towards Steve Mangongo and that jambolic display in Bangladesh that brought abut his downfall was mostly to do with Bangladesh ascendancy although we didn't know at that time.

Doesn't deserve the constant besmirching whenever his name is brought up.
Every excuse is made to dim the shine of our diamonds.

Just read all the constant excuses made for Whatmore, Streak, Cremer, Williams etc.

I like him but..., I rate him but... Never calling a spade a spade.

But with a Mangongo or Panyangara several criticisms made despite stats. Was the same with Utseya and Elton's captaincy.

When in truth BT and now Cremer are utterly poor.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

pariah wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:45 pm
Cremer has 8 wickets in the test alone, and Taylor is currently sat on 53. Pipe the f** down kid

pariah

Post by pariah »

sloandog wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:11 pm
pariah wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:45 pm
Cremer has 8 wickets in the test alone, and Taylor is currently sat on 53. Pipe the f** down kid
Captaincy. You're losing it again.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Conant I have no issues with Mangongo. Try and read the posts prior to that one. You can’t come half way through and start arguing with the grown-ups.