Zimbabwe A Tour Of UAE for 5 unofficial odis

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Zimbabwe A Tour Of UAE for 5 unofficial odis

Post by jaybro »

pariah wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:59 am

Don't talk about things you don't understand.
Rich coming from you

“Mangongo was successful”
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

pariah wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:59 am
Jennigs built RCB big heads!

He got the Proteas to function after being horrible under Simmons.

You want to blame him for losing in India? :shock:

England beat SA at home again remember, besides, that was a very strong England team. You can ask Australia!

Don't talk about things you don't understand.
He got them to function...ok lets have a look.

Kallis hated him. Ntini couldn't stand him and Graeme Smith would purposely go against what he said because of his attitude and his arrogance towards the players. Smith recently said on a TV interview that the relationship between Jennings and most of the players (especially Kallis and Boucher) was nothing short of toxic. Kallis refused to bowl for him during practice.

How can you say he made the proteas function. I do understand thank you very much. I was just about old enough to watch that series in India, and would get up early to watch the test matches in SA during the 2004 winter. I can clearly remember Bob Willis and Botham voicing their displeasure at Jennings appointment as they knew how regimented and hard he was, a typical Afrikaaner who was tough. His style did not work. If he was so unifying, why was he sacked after the West Indies tour?

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

UAE makes 214/8 batting first in the third match. We should walk this, given that we are more comfortable chasing anyway?

reverbinstinct

Post by reverbinstinct »

At last the game is being covered in cricinfo ,bleh.Guess they would refresh the scores once the game is over.
http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/1125 ... -3rd-Match

Mueddie28

Post by Mueddie28 »

reverbinstinct wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:34 pm
At last the game is being covered in cricinfo ,bleh.Guess they would refresh the scores once the game is over.
http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/1125 ... -3rd-Match
Mavuta is playing well
At least if Burk continues to bowl he can make it into the Zimbabwe X1 ODis

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

honestly we might need to do some serious soul searching if these guys get whitewashed by the UAE. maybe it is time to get new coaches.. the players are also showing they are not ready. it actually shows me how much we suffered when we lost all our senior players in 2004.. this is exactly the stage we were at where we had lots of talented players who just couldn't kick on.

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

The scorecards of the first two matches. If you have the courage:

Match 1: http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/1849 ... e-2017-18/
Match 2: http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/1849 ... e-2017-18/

Only Mavuta can probably hold his head high so far.

This has to be the most devastating set of losses in recent times. UAE is not even a proper cricket team for goodness' sake. Chibhabha, with well over 100 international caps, and what does that translate to?

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:05 am
Chibhabha, with well over 100 international caps, and what does that translate to?
The point I was making in my thread about experience and always saying we need international games. If you can't do the job against smaller nations with so much experience, then how can you complain that you are not getting enough experience and saying you need to play the bigger teams more often.

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

my biggest concern from the beginning is that most of the guys playing might not be best suited for ODIs. I just looked at the strike rates for all the players in the team as batsmen and only Maruma has a strike rate better than 75. Burl is 2nd with 70. the rest are in the 60s. no wonder why they are failing to post big targets. anything under 270 is chased down these days

I am impressed by Mavuta as well as how Chisoro looks like he has improved his batting. he is batting really high up

Ming

Post by Ming »

Sure, these results are disgraceful...but as I mentioned at the beginning of this thread, it seems that these tours are being organised with very little notice, as semi-random events. This has two consequences:

1) It interrupts our already short domestic season. It removes decent(-ish) players from the pool and means that the remaining domestic regulars play against weeker opposition at home, as other players are called in to make up the numbers. This is not going to challenge anybody and and people get a false sense of their worth.
2) Preparations for the tour are almost zero. The coach cannot do any coaching. The players do not get to prepare, bond and gel as a team. If a miracle happens, a few players rise to the top, but most will just be trying to avoid sinking completely.
Peterhouse U14C 4th change bowler and no. 10 batsman (but only because Aaron didn't have a bat).