When Paul Strang destroyed the Lankan middle order

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

When Paul Strang destroyed the Lankan middle order

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Here's that match from the Coca Cola Cup 1998, Sharjah: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qz7qqLGNNHE

Streak batting at 9 and Strang at 10! Guy Whittall was even out injured in that series. Serious batting line up.

Paul Strang, that action, that run up. Ripped them apart. Brandes and Streak providing useful support.

As an aside, one of the most likeable things about Zim Cricket - Watching the innocent happiness in the smiles of Paul Strang, and later, the beaming confident smile of Blessing Mahwire...

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Re: When Paul Strang destroyed the Lankan middle order

Post by eugene »

Thanks for posting this link, these are certainly the glory days of Zimbabwean cricket. Quite fun to see Eddo Brandes batting at six as a pinch hitter. Also, Andy Flower is really head and shoulders above any other batter Zimbabwe has ever produced. Goodwin and Johnson were great also, but Andy is just unrivaled.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

Ahh I love watching the old boys go about their business, that was a serious top 5 batting I don’t think Zimbabwe has ever had a better one ?
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

foreignfield

Post by foreignfield »

Thanks for sharing.

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

My love for leg spin began when I first watched Paul Strang bowl in the 1996 world cup. Although I had watched cricket before and had vague memories of the 1992 world cup too, Paul Strang's leg spin got me hooked. This when I could have already followed Anil Kumble or Shane Warne. I became a big admirer of Kumble later on, but Paul Strang was the reason I started loving arguably the most difficult art in bowling.

Didn't get to watch much of Huckle unfortunately, and Murphy, for all the hype, was a big let down in terms of accuracy. Cremer is way ahead of Murphy, but we also had non-spinning Kamungozi in between. When both MShangwe and Mutombodzi burst onto the scene, I liked Mutombodzi more, but neither could develop the art further. Then we had Maruma and Higgins too, not kicking on. Hopefully Mavuta and Masara carry on the Zimbabwean tradition of leg spin bowling. By the way, where is former U19 skipper Dylon Higgins these days?

It feels great when I stumble upon any footage of Paul Strang bowling.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Adam Huckle was a gritty guy, and a good sledger too. Did well in a test series against NZ. Sadly his career was very short.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

I heard that Huckle was firey on the pitch as well.

Murphy probably turned the ball more than any of the legspinners mentioned, but as you say, was one of the least accurate.

Dylan and Ryan Higgins were two very talented leg spinners. Saw Higgins take a couple of genuine wickets against the West Indies in 2006 before he was mauled by Lara in an ODI.

Strang epitomized the top Zimbabwe lep spinner though, for me.

Andybligzz

Post by Andybligzz »

I have both the Higgins brothers on facebook and it seems they are just playing club cricket in the uk , not sure where though. Strang I never saw live as I was a wee lad but his highlights and footage I have seen were class. Murphy was very average and never rated him , cremer is a way better all round bowler and cricketer. The people that don't rate cremer will realise how valuable he is once he is gone , just like all the other good cricketers before his time .
The Zimbabwe Cricket team have found Ebola in one of their members, but they're not concerned because they have also found Ebatsmen and Efielda!